Is "Baby One More Time" By Britney THE most iconic, best debut ever?

georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
Forum Member
Was just discussing, and i for now at least cant think of a debut as iconic, strong and that is still remembered and known by pretty much everyone so many years later.

I was thinking maybe "I kissed a girl" cames in close but then when i really think about it does it? LOL.

Anyone think anything else tops it? Discuss :p

Comments

• georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I guess maybe i should paint out that i meant the greatest in POP? or anyone think its the overall greatest?

Just been thinking, though its unlikely carly rae jepson will last as long as britney spears, do you think call me maybe could fall into the debate?
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights was.
    Forum Member
    Lily_M wrote: »

i meant serious opinions.. LOL

No im just kidding, but really? :p
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How funny you said mention it i'm listening to it right now and have to agree. Wuthering heights was like nothing before it came out divided opinion and gave the world one of the most forward thinking and uniqe artist to ever grace music and something that hasn't been since. a true original from a true original :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I HOPE you're talking about the single, because if this thread is about the album of the same name, then it's not even worth discussing tbh.

In case you're referring to the single, then it's probably in the top 5 (or maybe top 3) of most memorable and iconic debuts of all time. However, MJ's 'Don't Stop Till You Get Enough', Cindy Lauper's 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun', Mariah's 'Vision of Love', Christina's 'Genie In a Bottle' and Lady GaGa's 'Just Dance' are also up there tbh.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Leona's Bleeding Love debut was quite iconic. Just watching how she went from UK reality star to Grammy nominee in little over a year on one song was incredible.
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I HOPE you're talking about the single, because if this thread is about the album of the same name, then it's not even worth discussing tbh.

In case you're referring to the single, then it's probably in the top 5 (or maybe top 3) of most memorable and iconic debuts of all time. However, MJ's 'Don't Stop Till You Get Enough', Cindy Lauper's 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun', Mariah's 'Vision of Love', Christina's 'Genie In a Bottle' and Lady GaGa's 'Just Dance' are also up there tbh.

How rude!! HAHA i joke. Yeah just the single, but see i dont think i agree with just dance, love that debut, but it just didnt do it like baby did it if that makes sense. :D
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think Leona's Bleeding Love debut was quite iconic. Just watching how she went from UK reality star to Grammy nominee in little over a year on one song was incredible.

True.. but arghhh still something is just missing :o

On another note, wouldnt a moment like this be considered as her debut?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're going to LOL at and dismiss everyone's suggestions, what's the point of starting this thread?

And the poster quoted below has answered your question as well as I could have done. Kate has been in the music business for nearly 40 years. She's been writing creative, imaginative songs since she was a child, she's had creative control and produced all of her own singles and albums since her second album. There is no-one else like her and she will still be around long after Britney and her ilk are forgotten about.
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    How funny you said mention it i'm listening to it right now and have to agree. Wuthering heights was like nothing before it came out divided opinion and gave the world one of the most forward thinking and uniqe artist to ever grace music and something that hasn't been since. a true original from a true original :)
    Forum Member
    If you're going to LOL at and dismiss everyone's suggestions, what's the point of starting this thread?

And the poster quoted below has answered your question as well as I could have done. Kate has been in the music business for nearly 40 years. She's been writing creative, imaginative songs since she was a child, she's had creative control and produced all of her own singles and albums since her second album. There is no-one else like her and she will still be around long after Britney and her ilk are forgotten about.

Awwww hun i was just kidding :cry:

Ill be honest i have never heard it or of her really, just basing it on that but not to say it wasnt iconic, just not in the way BABY was. Ill give it a listen later :p
    Forum Member

But no need for the britney dig.. haha :):eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    How rude!! HAHA i joke. Yeah just the single, but see i dont think i agree with just dance, love that debut, but it just didnt do it like baby did it if that makes sense. :D
    Given that I happen to hate 'Just Dance', I tried to be as objective as possible and I admit that it did have a very strong impact on pop culture. But I agree that 'BOMT' is superior.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awwww hun i was just kidding :cry:

Ill be honest i have never heard it or of her really, just basing it on that but not to say it wasnt iconic, just not in the way BABY was. Ill give it a listen later :p

Don't call me hun, you're probably young enough to be my son.

And while I'm at it, learn to spell and use punctuation.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree but there are similarites in that the visuals for each are both iconic in theie own right and define an era and a decade. But agree in terms of impact and iconic status WH just blew everything away shocked and even scared people and totally catapulted her from unknown into the big league and really did give us someone truly special.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I actually think Call Me Maybe is but I don't think she'll last considering how lacklustre her album is. Besides Carly yes I agree.

I think Spice Girls - Wannabe comes close though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Kate Bush is a serious artist. To compare Britney Spears to her is a joke, c'mon!

Kate didn't need to jump around in pervy schoolgirl outfits, I feel sorry for Britney the music biz screwed her up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that's the case, then Ed Sheeran is even more iconic than hers and he didn't need X Factor or Simon Cowell's massive budget to do it.
    Forum Member
    Don't call me hun, you're probably young enough to be my son.

And while I'm at it, learn to spell and use punctuation.

what you want me to call you, old or not try learn to chill out and not jump at people, im young, been wrong, learned from it, no need to ruin it with sarcy remarks..:confused:
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True.. but arghhh still something is just missing :o

On another note, wouldnt a moment like this be considered as her debut?

Technically yes AMLT was, but Bleeding Love was the song that took her international, the first UK female since the 80s to top the Hot 100 in the US. It also made her the first UK solo artist to debut at #1 in the US with a debut album. 1D have done the same but they are a group.

I think the song was amazing, and it definitely changed the way people saw reality TV contestants....before then they usually sang a covers album and disappeared, but Leona reached the Grammys.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, really.

In fact there are many songs which could be said to be more iconic debut singles than Britney Spears' single.
    Popular music didn't just start when Britney Spears came along. There had been decades of iconic debut singles up to that point.
    Anarchy in the U.K by The Sex Pistols is just one example amongst so many to list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically yes AMLT was, but Bleeding Love was the song that took her international, the first UK female since the 80s to top the Hot 100 in the US. It also made her the first UK solo artist to debut at #1 in the US with a debut album. 1D have done the same but they are a group.

I think the song was amazing, and it definitely changed the way people saw reality TV contestants....before then they usually sang a covers album and disappeared, but Leona reached the Grammys.
    Have you forgotten that Kelly Clarkson, the most successful reality singing show contestant winner since Star Search exists? By the time Leona was getting ready to release an album, Kelly, Carrie, and Fantasia were already successful, getting nominated for Grammys and winning them and they were reality show winners.
  • TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    There's no denying BOMT (the song) is a pretty iconic moment in pop music. I think the video (Britney's idea apparently) definitely helped with the impact and the lasting memory of the period. Much like Madonna, Britney came out at just the right time and had a great team of people behind her.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I actually think Call Me Maybe is but I don't think she'll last considering how lacklustre her album is. Besides Carly yes I agree.

Call Me Maybe would be up there, but it wasn't a debut single. Same with songs like Party Rock Anthem and Gangnam Style and Somebody That I Used to Know. Those artists had been in music long before and had many "flops" beforehand.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Spice Girls - Wannabe comes close though.

I didn't realise Carly Rae Jepson was 27 ish. Sounds like something else a 17 year old girl would sing.
    The only reason Hit Me Baby One More Time stands out as a debut single is every one of her songs after is awful. (my opinion.)
    Forum Member
    Yes, really.

In fact there are many songs which could be said to be more iconic debut singles than Britney Spears' single.
    Popular music didn't just start when Britney Spears came along. There had been decades of iconic debut singles up to that point.
    Anarchy in the U.K by The Sex Pistols is just one example amongst so many to list.

Ok let me explain.

ICONIC - I know that to different people it means many things, which is fine because everyones opinion is valid but i meant iconic as in known world wide, created a buzz, a strong popular debut that if you asked anyone they would know what you were talking about and with all do respect i dont think if you asked people if they remembered kate bushes or sex pistols debut that EVERYONE would know what you were talking about? Am i right?

But thats not to say that they werent iconic in their own way, im just being realistic, and i think even you would agree with the above?

Dont get me wrong, i love all types of music, i am a britney fan but even at the moment my phone playlist consists of the likes of ben howard, kodaline, tom odell ect i think they are all amazing and absolutely love their debuts, but when it comes to being the iconic im talking about, theyre just not.