Dropped calls on EE

paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
Forum Member
✭✭
The dropped call rate on EE is getting ridiculous now.

I often get silence and then dropped calls or silence for 5 seconds and then the call returns.

Getting irritating.

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    paulker wrote: »

I often get silence and then dropped calls or silence for 5 seconds and then the call returns.

Getting irritating.

Is it in just one area or everywhere?
    Have you tried any other handsets or sims? E.g on T-Mo or Orange?
    Is it to a certain number or all numbers?
    Are you able to receive calls easily or are friends going straight to voicemail?
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been experiencing this for the last couple of months on EE as well. Especially the 5 second drop.
    Forum Member
    I've been experiencing this for the last couple of months on EE as well. Especially the 5 second drop.

It seems to be a known problem. So much so that it was featured on Watchdog. It does seem to affect 4G customers mostly so i'm guessing it's something to do with the switch between 3G and 4G.

EE are adamant that there are no issues with the network though.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried switching LTE off but it makes no difference.

Its been happening a lot at my office which I notice as I spend lots of time there. I have had issue at my home postcode for many months and have also had problems elsewhere.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It seems to be a known problem. So much so that it was featured on Watchdog. It does seem to affect 4G customers mostly so i'm guessing it's something to do with the switch between 3G and 4G.

It if wasn't to do do with there network wouldn't we be hearing same things happening with Vodafone and O2 as well?
    Forum Member
    I tried switching LTE off but it makes no difference.

Its been happening a lot at my office which I notice as I spend lots of time there. I have had issue at my home postcode for many months and have also had problems elsewhere.

Interesting. Hardly conclusive but it seems to throw the whole 3G-4G switching theory out of the window.

It could be down to purely the 3G network in that case.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Getting irritating.

There were complaints on Watchdog last week about this.

Standard reply from EE of course.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dropped call rate on EE is getting ridiculous now. ...

Switch phones. Some are far better than others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Switch phones. Some are far better than others.

Maybe so but this should not be happening. On another note. I just completed a call. Yay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny how EE are turning into Apple in the way that they never tell you whats happening and cover up the truth.

I'm a fanboy but know Apple's negative points.
    Forum Member
    Maybe so but this should not be happening. On another note. I just completed a call. Yay.

Congrats. Welcome to 1973 :D

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57577704-94/the-first-call-from-a-cell-phone-was-made-40-years-ago-today/
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tmobile 3G here and no dropped calls ever :) However I am in a non upgraded area so it could be that
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mrs has a Virgin sim and frequently gets calls where they cant hear each other. This is on 2G, the phone doesn't have 3G.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

I don't even have 4G in Norwich yet, so can't be anything to do with 4G.

It does seem to be a hand over problem for me though. I'm covered by two masts and when coverage drops out for the one it seems to go to no service (Which drops the call) and then connect to the other mast straight after the call has dropped.

I also have the same problem at work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Yep had the same problem...has been getting steadily worse since April. I'm in the Nottingham area and covered by the 4G service...which is fine.

However, 3G calls are awful...now practically every call I make or receive, the calls drop. I've spoken to EE about it, and they deny there's a problem with the Network (Yeah right!)

My phone's been taken in for 'repair' but I doubt the handset's the issue, and friends with the same handset who have visited me have epxerienced the same issue, but not when they are out of 4G areas...

EE are not telling the truth, I've asked directly if they are canabilising the 3G service in favour of 4G (which currently only carries 'data' ) They refused to answer the question.

They say the masts near me are working..I'm only 1.1 miles from the City Centre.

Not happy, and will be taking it further once the phone's back.
    Forum Member
    KevJ wrote: »
    but not when they are out of 4G areas...

Hmmmm.

Interesting. That contradicts the above posters.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe we should have a poll to see?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been experiencing this problem since May and was only told yesterday after I called yet again to complain that there is a mast down in my area being updated. I asked them why they didn't tell me this in May instead of making an idiot of me by telling me to change my Sim, update the settings on my phone and other time wasting exercises and she said "why would we do that?"

They just keep lying to people by telling them if one mast is down others will take over. And now they tell another cock and bull story yesterday. If it's not fixed in a week I am cancelling my contract and they can take me to court. It's beyond a joke paying all this money and you can't make or receive calls. :rolleyes::mad:
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been experiencing this problem since May and was only told yesterday after I called yet again to complain that there is a mast down in my area being updated. I asked them why they didn't tell me this in May instead of making an idiot of me by telling me to change my Sim, update the settings on my phone and other time wasting exercises and she said "why would we do that?"

They just keep lying to people by telling them if one mast is down others will take over. And now they tell another cock and bull story yesterday. If it's not fixed in a week I am cancelling my contract and they can take me to court. It's beyond a joke paying all this money and you can't make or receive calls. :rolleyes::mad:

Don't do this under any circumstances, you'll ruin your credit file if you cancel the direct debit or fail to pay them.

Your two options that won't ruin your credit file are:-

1). Follow the official complaints procedure as set out on their website then if it's still not resolved go to the regulator and insist on being let out of your contract.

2), Alternatively write a "letter before action" (google it) giving them 28 says and state clearly (and this is a legal term) that they have not exercised reasonable skill and care in providing service to you, and if they cannot resolve this within 28 days or release you from the contract then you'll take them to the small claims court. Then you simply go to moneyclaimonline.gov.uk, pay £25* and file a claim for the remainder of the contract cost. That effectively means if the court agree, or EE don't defend they'll have to buy out your contract and you'll get the £25 court fee back. If the court don't agree you'll be left with just a £25 court cost.

*Court cost can vary depending on the amount claimed, I don't know how much your outstanding contract value is.

Either the company, the regulator or the court have to release you from that contract, if the company refuse the regulator or the court will need to force them to release you. Just refusing to pay will leave you with a marked credit file, and debt collectors on the doorstep, so please take my advice above and same goes for anyone else, never just stop paying or refuse to pay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Don't do this under any circumstances, you'll ruin your credit file if you cancel the direct debit or fail to pay them.

Your two options that won't ruin your credit file are:-

1). Follow the official complaints procedure as set out on their website then if it's still not resolved go to the regulator and insist on being let out of your contract.

2), Alternatively write a "letter before action" (google it) giving them 28 says and state clearly (and this is a legal term) that they have not exercised reasonable skill and care in providing service to you, and if they cannot resolve this within 28 days or release you from the contract then you'll take them to the small claims court. Then you simply go to moneyclaimonline.gov.uk, pay £25* and file a claim for the remainder of the contract cost. That effectively means if the court agree, or EE don't defend they'll have to buy out your contract and you'll get the £25 court fee back. If the court don't agree you'll be left with just a £25 court cost.

*Court cost can vary depending on the amount claimed, I don't know how much your outstanding contract value is.

Either the company, the regulator or the court have to release you from that contract, if the company refuse the regulator or the court will need to force them to release you. Just refusing to pay will leave you with a marked credit file, and debt collectors on the doorstep, so please take my advice above and same goes for anyone else, never just stop paying or refuse to pay.

OK thanks. I am waiting to hear back from them because they told me yesterday they would reimburse me for the time I wasn't able to use my phone. I doubt very much they are going to reimburse me from last May. I'll do one of the options you gave me if they don't and if this problem persists because I can't keep missing calls all the time and not be able to make calls. I'm losing business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoke to EE this morning about it. They said a mast was switched off. I knew this mast was switched off months ago. It had a weakening of signal effect but the service has been ok and 4g superfast. This was until a couple of weeks ago when voice calls started to fail. Today it has got to a point of it being unusable. After going from pillar to post they have offered me 25% off my bill so with 4 lines this is a substantial saving. After speaking with them this morning I spent the rest of the day losing phone calls and redialling so I decided to call again tonight from home through my signal box which was given to me for problems here too ironically !!

They now say that more things have been done to the local masts at work in the past few days which would suggest to me that a major f*** up has occurred. I'm not a happy camper and knowing EE nothing will get done about this.

Lucan, if your reading this can you investigate my office post code G52 4GA.

What should be a fantastic service from a network who are spending fortunes is turning into a complete farce.

Rant over.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    It does seem to be a hand over problem for me though. I'm covered by two masts and when coverage drops out for the one it seems to go to no service (Which drops the call) and then connect to the other mast straight after the call has dropped.

I wonder if you're jumping between Orange and T-Mobile services (both showing as 'EE' to confuse) as both 3G networks still exist in the majority of places.

I gather calls can't be handed over between so that causes drops.

The 4G project should eventually switch off one of the two in your area, and the 'EE' branding means you shouldn't notice any difference except no calls dropping.

Depending on your handset and OS you might be able to lock it to one of the legacy brands. On iPhones you can use Field Test to see the PLMN number 234-33 = Orange, 234-30 = T-Mobile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    I wonder if you're jumping between Orange and T-Mobile services (both showing as 'EE' to confuse) as both 3G networks still exist in the majority of places.

I gather calls can't be handed over between so that causes drops.

The 4G project should eventually switch off one of the two in your area, and the 'EE' branding means you shouldn't notice any difference except no calls dropping.

Depending on your handset and OS you might be able to lock it to one of the legacy brands. On iPhones you can use Field Test to see the PLMN number 234-33 = Orange, 234-30 = T-Mobile.

How do you do that please?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    How do you do that please?
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/20/field-test-mode-iphone-signal-strength-numbers/

To get the PLMN when you get into Field Test, tap on MM Info, then Serving PLMN.

On mine I get "Mobile Country Code" which says 234 and "Mobile Network Code" which says 30.

If you're on 4G then you might want to turn this off first as the menus are completely different and I've no idea where the PLMN is shown.

Sometimes Field Test shows inaccurate numbers after the Country Code or Network Code, my work Vodafone right now is showing "2341" and "151" which are extra 1 digits on the end. Just reboot the phone and try again.

As to locking to a specific legacy brand, on the iPhone you can choose "EE" or you can choose "EE (3G)" which is how it shows the two brands. Assuming good coverage the (3G) brackets bit doesn't actually mean 3G signal!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/20/field-test-mode-iphone-signal-strength-numbers/

To get the PLMN when you get into Field Test, tap on MM Info, then Serving PLMN.

On mine I get "Mobile Country Code" which says 234 and "Mobile Network Code" which says 30.

If you're on 4G then you might want to turn this off first as the menus are completely different and I've no idea where the PLMN is shown.

Sometimes Field Test shows inaccurate numbers after the Country Code or Network Code, my work Vodafone right now is showing "2341" and "151" which are extra 1 digits on the end. Just reboot the phone and try again.

As to locking to a specific legacy brand, on the iPhone you can choose "EE" or you can choose "EE (3G)" which is how it shows the two brands. Assuming good coverage the (3G) brackets bit doesn't actually mean 3G signal!

I've got 2 EE carriers listed but it doesn't say which one is 3G and which one is 4G. Oh I just chose the 2nd EE on the list and suddenly I have 4 bars on my signal.