How many points on your licence for skipping the lights?

BlinginminginBlinginmingin Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you get points on your licence for going through a red light?

Many Thanks

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Many Thanks

Try here for information

Edit: Mort Rainey is right, it says

Failing to comply with traffic light signals = 3 points
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 I think. Might be wrong though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fine and 3 points.

I know as I was caught on camera going through a red a couple of years ago.

The fine was £120, reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days plus 3 points, which I admit hurt me more than the fine :(
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In America they have cameras at traffic lights to catch people out if they go through a red light.
    I don't know if they do that here anywhere.

And in some states, they have signals at the traffic lights that flash to warn drivers when an emergency vehicle is approaching.

Clever stuff that.

Me personally, I do sometimes take chances at lights and just get through as the red light is about to come on.

EDIT: I'm stupid, obviously traffic lights here do have cameras, otherwise how would people get caught out!
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got 3 points & a £60 fine for going through a red light a couple of years ago. And according to the photos i asked for from the camera it was 1 SECOND after the lights had changed!!!! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *fanfair*

700 BILLION POINTS!
    and a balloon on a stick
  • sarumsarum Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote:
    I got 3 points & a £60 fine for going through a red light a couple of years ago. And according to the photos i asked for from the camera it was 1 SECOND after the lights had changed!!!! :mad:

If it had been 1 second before, you'd have a reason to complain.
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,618
    Forum Member
    habby wrote:

So that makes ok?
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote:

If you could show that rapidly breaking would have been risky you could have been let off, i.e approaching lights on fast roads where stopping suddenly might be more risky than just going thru them.... Otherwise you deserve what you get, Amber then red is about 3 seconds plenty of time to stop going at 30MPH, or emergency breaking at faster speeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed a stupidly big increase in the amount of "amber gamblers" in the past year. When amber comes on it means STOP!!! unless it is dangerous to brake and you may cause an accident. The amount of people that believe it is their right that because it shows amber it is still ok to go is quite shocking. Ive seen cars edge through and then the person behind the car thinks "oh just one more" and this carries on right until it just gets to red. Couple this with the amount of people that know certain junctions and start moving before the light has even turned green and you could have a serious accident!
  • DunedinDunedin Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you are caught, its 3 point.
  • DunedinDunedin Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just wish it was enforced more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exulus, do you know The Loddon Bridge roundabout at Winnersh?. That can get pretty hairy at rush hour!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie1 wrote:
    Exulus, do you know The Loddon Bridge roundabout at Winnersh?. That can get pretty hairy at rush hour!
    Is that up by ASDA? I think i might have run across it the other day trying to get to ASDA but i dont usually frequent those parts :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exulus wrote:
    Is that up by ASDA? I think i might have run across it the other day trying to get to ASDA but i dont usually frequent those parts :)

It's fairly near to the Asda at Lower Earley.

It's on the A329, between Reading and Wokingham. Right by The Showcase cinema. :)

You'd know it if you came across it!
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    habby wrote:

If it is 1 second after the lights had changed to Amber then you were hard done by. If it is 1 second after they had changed to Red then you only have yourself to blame.

Although I have to admit that I have been in a borderline situation on a number of occasions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote:
    If it is 1 second after the lights had changed to Amber then you were hard done by. If it is 1 second after they had changed to Red then you only have yourself to blame.

Although I have to admit that I have been in a borderline situation on a number of occasions.
    I think that's spot on.

I'd like it if they put a countdown timer on the lights of, say, 5 seconds, counting down to tell you when it's next going to change. I hate approaching lights when they've been on green a while (particularly while I was learning to drive), because sod's law states that they'll always change at the worst possible moment.

I know you're supposed to anticipate them changing, but it'd be quite useful to not have it happen off of a sudden, so you have some warning and can plan any action a little bit more in advance.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally 3, but if you caused a specific danger to someone, then more.
  • global chaosglobal chaos Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Many Thanks

3 points valid for 3 years :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote:

The cameras don't actually take any pictures unless the light is on red...it's the red light that activates the cameras apparently.

When I got caught it was 0.8 seconds after the light had changed. It was a stupid mistake on my part - and a hard lesson learned. :(
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Praxidike wrote:
    I'd like it if they put a countdown timer on the lights of, say, 5 seconds, counting down to tell you when it's next going to change.
    They have a system like that on some pedestrian crossings in Glasgow. There's a display next to the green man telling you how many seconds till it changes.
  • FrothyFrothy Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Hathor wrote:
    Generally 3, but if you caused a specific danger to someone, then more.

That is probably the best answer to this question.

If you just go through a red light and are caught it should just be 3 points. However, if an accident is caused, or nearly caused, it's likely to be upgraded to driving without due care and it may mean extra points.

Many moons ago I missed a light changing as I was distracted by a passenger and although I hit the brakes, I also hit another car. I got four points, 200 quid fine and a nice day trip to the magistrates.
  • Mad PixieMad Pixie Posts: 2,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charlie1 wrote:
    In America they have cameras at traffic lights to catch people out if they go through a red light.
    I don't know if they do that here anywhere.

And in some states, they have signals at the traffic lights that flash to warn drivers when an emergency vehicle is approaching.

That's interesting if that's correct about traffic light cameras in the States. I wonder how they work because as far as i was aware you can make right turns on a red light there (but you treat it as a Give way, rather than a right of way).

I believe they were talking about doing the same thing here (obviously allowing left turns instead of right) to free up traffic a bit.

We may not have the flashing warnings to tell us when emergency vehicles are approaching, but some of our traffic lights do have sensors above them that detect the flashing lights of an emergency vehicle & change the traffic lights to allow it through.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got caught and had three points put on my licence and paid a £60 fine, but I will be convinced to the day I die that I went through on Amber. I am certian I was making up numbers, or as a friend said, the police were playing snooker and my car was the right colour at the wrong time.
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Do all traffic lights have cameras? Or is it just the ones with a seperate box (like a grey speed camera?) do they need to give you warning signs?

Or is it just police cars?