Stoker

BlurayBluray Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
Wow!

Utterly brilliant film!

It's sick, it's weird, it's odd, it's bizarre.

It will divide opinion just like Drive.

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    What its about?
    When the TV spot said "From the Director of Oldboy" I thought they meant the US remake (which I havent seen) :confused:
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing the film over the weekend. It looks like a psychosexual thriller, which intrigues me.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    What its about?
    When the TV spot said "From the Director of Oldboy" I thought they meant the US remake (which I havent seen) :confused:

18 year old girls Dad dies and her long-lost Uncle appears with an unhealthy interest in her........but so much more than that ;-)
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it, great film. Just the kind of perverse, strange, violent type of film I'd expect from Park Chan-wook.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Interesting... I didnt know they meant the Korean Oldboy... :o
    May try and check Stoker out (Oldboy is a great film) :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanna see this. I read about it ages ago when Nicole Kidman confirmed shooting it.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    The trailer looks great, I need to see this.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who have seen it, is Nicole kidman brilliant in it? I am a big fan of hers and she is the main reason why i want to see it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who have seen it, is Nicole kidman brilliant in it? I am a big fan of hers and she is the main reason why i want to see it

Funnily enough when I was watching it I thought to myself how cool and understated she is in it.
    I think she could be Hollywood royalty now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it, although i did feel that the outstanding visuals were let down somewhat by the fairly by the numbers storyline. If it weren't for the cinematography and direction i'd probably be far less impressed with it. The acting was great though from everyone involved, particularly Matthew Goode who portrays a quietly menacing character in a brilliant way.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I can't believe this film was written and co-produced by Wentworth Miller aka the main guy from Prison Break :eek:.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    What happens at the piano?
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it felt long for a 90-ish minute film, it sure as help was one of the most engaging trips to the cinema I've had in a while. Beautifully shot, brilliantly scored by Clint Mansell, and the three central performances are superb. Kidman does what she does best; cold, detached, vulnerable. But Mia Wasikovska was astonishingly good from start to finish. The denoument was telegraphed a little, but it didn't stop this being a superb experience, Park Chan Wook has managed to transition into English language film while keeping the unsettling air which made Old Boy lso good (and which Hollywood will no doubt kill completely in the remake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens at the piano?
    my take was that she was fantasizing, as he'd got in her head by that point.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok , Park Chan Wook is a brilliant director , he's like Kubrick , every shot is lovingly crafted , hypnotic , I'll watch anything he makes , but this is slow , I think I'll prefer watching it again on tv .

the plot is basically one of those psychological dramas where you're not sure if the main character is imagining all or some of it , each scene is filled with symbolism , I'm sure in the future there will be long essays written about the meanings of each scene (it's full of childhood symbolism : drawings , forgotten traumas, eggs etc.) , but on a first viewing its hard to get involved you're not sure what its supposed to mean .
  • SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Stoker is really great film and looking foward to collecting it once it's out on dvd.

They want to make Stoker into a trilogy.

Matthew Goode and did really well in their roles.

Carey Mulligan, Kristen Stewart, Rooney Mara, Emily Browning, Emma Roberts, Bella Heathcote and Ashley Greene were considered to play India Stoker.

Carey Mulligan and Jodie Foster were originally cast but both dropped out and were replaced by Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman.

Colin Firth, James Franco, Joel Edgerton, and Michael Fassbender were considered for the role of Uncle Charlie. Firth was actually cast, but he dropped out and was replaced by Matthew Goode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh christ, Fassbender would have been superb, got nothing against Matthew Goode's performance but if there was a weak link in the film it was probably him, he was a bit too...... gurney.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't mind seeing this...
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh christ, Fassbender would have been superb, got nothing against Matthew Goode's performance but if there was a weak link in the film it was probably him, he was a bit too...... gurney.

I dunno , Fassbinder's great , but the part required some aspects of reverting to childhood which Goode did really well .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno , Fassbinder's great , but the part required some aspects of reverting to childhood which Goode did really well .

couldn't disagree there, I'm not saying he wasn't good, it's just the one role which left soem room for improvement imho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Fassbender would've been too steely and sinister.
    Goode was perfect at being slightly smarmy but beguiling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this movie in a weird sort of way...
    I kinda didnt want it to end... I kinda felt that Indias and Charlies relationship coulda been developed a bit more :sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Just got home from seeing this, loved it! So different and utterly bizzare but held my interest. Really enjoyed it.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night - really enjoyed it. Beautifully shot and directed.
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please could someone explain the scenes in which Jacki Weaver was in?
    From her first appearance at the front door to when she made a call in her motel room regarding her missing mobile? I'm sure she had a scene at the dinner table in the house? I am asking because l was a bit tired so l may have closed my eyes for a couple of minutes during the time she was in the film!