Team GB's Lisa Dobriskey - "I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field".

1235»

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Yeah, saw this linked to on Twitter. I spend a lot of time telling people here and elsewhere that not all athletes are on drugs but these sorts of shenanigans don't help. Athletics should introduced a system similar to swimming in that if 4 or 5? athletes from one nation all fail tests within a specific time frame, all their athletes are banned for a period and the dopers much longer. Otherwise what will encourage countries like Turkey and Morocco to clean up their acts. Problem is that even big nations like Russia and the US could be affected and such bans would effectively end track and field as a popular sport.

Pehaps instead of banning the whole team the focus should be on individual events - Russian women's middle distance runners should really have been banned after 2008 as the doping then was pretty systematic (remember the authorities were trying to prevent Visas being given out to anti doping authorities and they weren't done for failing tests but tampering with samples).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Isn't the argument how long the performance-enhancing effects continue after the drugs have left the body?

Ceasing steroid use will reduce performance relative to using them, but not necessarily back to square one if you know what I mean - a permanent performance advantage is likely but not as big as when actively using them.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Pehaps instead of banning the whole team the focus should be on individual events - Russian women's middle distance runners should really have been banned after 2008 as the doping then was pretty systematic (remember the authorities were trying to prevent Visas being given out to anti doping authorities and they weren't done for failing tests but tampering with samples).
    True. Weightlifting was once nearly pulled from the Olympics wasn't it?
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    The person who won did serve a ban for doping so I can understand Lisa feeling angry about that.

Yes, but it's not against the rules to return to competition after serving a ban, and I would say drugs cheats are tested even more carefully if they do return...

The problem with Lisa's comments is that the race was pitifully slow, so drugs cheating just doesn't come into it - no-one ran anywhere near a PB -for example, the winner was 13 seconds slower than Dame Kelly Holmes ran to win the title in Athens 2004.

Lisa got her tactics badly wrong, and that's basically that. It does leave a sour taste in my mouth that the Turkish girl won, but Lisa's got no-one to blame but herself sadly, as she is capable of running a time much faster than the one which won.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Lisa's comments is that the race was pitifully slow, so drugs cheating just doesn't come into it - no-one ran anywhere near a PB -for example, the winner was 13 seconds slower than Dame Kelly Holmes ran to win the title in Athens 2004.
    Yes it does. You think drugs wouldn't help in a sprint finish in a very slow run distance race? You can't simply compare the finishing time in completely differently run/paced races. People made that same mistake when discuusing the men's 1500m too.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Yes it does. You think drugs wouldn't help in a sprint finish in a very slow run distance race? You can't simply compare the finishing time in completely differently run/paced races. People made that same mistake when discuusing the men's 1500m too.

It wasn't that much of a sprint finish though, was it? I don't remember the split times for the last lap being singled out as excessively quick.

Lisa did get her tactics wrong, that is pretty clear. Whether anything else was going on or not doesn't really change that.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the newer BBC news & sports presenters seem to have come from CBBC - & it shows. :rolleyes:

Does the name Lizzie-Greenwood Hughes ring a bell? It should - if you are a fan of a Football League club then the bell tolled for thee until last season.

I don't know if she ever was a children's presenter, but she had that goody-goody gumdrops mannered style which seems to be drifting into then BBC sports presentation department.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't that much of a sprint finish though, was it? I don't remember the split times for the last lap being singled out as excessively quick.
    Makes absolutely no difference to the comment I was referring to re: drugs benefitting athletes.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    The dopers are always looking for new ways to beat the tests.
    So they're always going to be one step ahead of the testers.

The testers will say they aren't, they ain't gonna admit it can be done, are they?

7,000 (or how many now) tests and only one positive?
    Are all the other 6,999 athletes squeaky clean?

I doubt it.

They are one step ahead, we will no doubt have some medals revoked a few years down the line, trouble is that by then everyone has forgotten the also rans.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Nansbread wrote: »
    No...just that the track is curved and sloped. Lighten up.

Maybe for another thread..but i observed a rule change in table tennis. The bats are now provided at the start of the match by the IOC. There was always a lot of speculation about players own bats. this has leveled the playing field.

Maybe such a move should be considered for cycling. after all it is about the cyclist and not the cycling technology.

How far do you take it? Make all the athletes run in the same shoes and wear the same clothes?

Plus of course there is no evidence any of the cycling results would have been any different.
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course anyone with any sense knew she was right as had already been proved,

But to put the icing on the cake the blatent cheating Turk who won the 1500m gold in London has tested positive.