Best make up tips from anyone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
Forum Member
The one I really hate is lips lined with a dark lip pencil - never liked that look when it was in fashion. The one I came across by mistake - if you are of the - ahem - older generation - a slight dab of light face powder in the corner of the eyes can lift the eye area.

Comments

• LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best one not to do is the orange look.
  • FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less is more!

More specifically spend time finding the right foundation and as a personal thing I love 'tubing' mascara.
  • malspiemalspie Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When highlighting your brow bones, start from under the arch of the brow outwards, don't take it towards the top of the nose. It looks much better done this way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fieldfare wrote: »
    Less is more!

More specifically spend time finding the right foundation and as a personal thing I love 'tubing' mascara.

What is tubing mascara - I am really curious?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I won't describe it right but here goes! It sort of makes a little cast around the lashes. No. That doesn't make a lot of sense, I'll see if I can find a link for you. I love it because it doesn't smudge, EVERY other mascara I have tried smudges or disappears before the end of the day. It comes off nice and easy too, with warm water and as I do hot cloth cleansing this suits me just fine.

I think the main reason some people don't get on with it is that when you wash it off all the little tubes come off sort of whole and kind of looks like all your lashes have come out! That doesn't happen, I promise!

I have L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes (red packaging, about £10)

Edit: Here you go, Sali Hughes talking about it, about 1/4 of the way in.

http://www.redonline.co.uk/red-women/red-chat/sali-hughes-live-red-chat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Do your makeup in natural light, or it will look completely different once you go outside.

2. Blend everything.

3. Understand that makeup is mostly about creating light and shadow to contour your face and bring out your features. For most day to day looks it isn't about putting on colour. Decide what you want to emphasize (eyes, cheekbones, mouth etc) and learn where it should be light and dark.

4. Blend some more.

5. Moisturise before you put any foundation or concealer on.

6. Blush shouldn't go on the apples of your cheeks, despite what a lot of magazines say. It doesn't look right. Blush is for creating or emphasizing your cheekbones.

7. Blend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fieldfare wrote: »
    I'm sure I won't describe it right but here goes! It sort of makes a little cast around the lashes. No. That doesn't make a lot of sense, I'll see if I can find a link for you. I love it because it doesn't smudge, EVERY other mascara I have tried smudges or disappears before the end of the day. It comes off nice and easy too, with warm water and as I do hot cloth cleansing this suits me just fine.

I think the main reason some people don't get on with it is that when you wash it off all the little tubes come off sort of whole and kind of looks like all your lashes have come out! That doesn't happen, I promise!

I have L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes (red packaging, about £10)

Edit: Here you go, Sali Hughes talking about it, about 1/4 of the way in.

http://www.redonline.co.uk/red-women/red-chat/sali-hughes-live-red-chat

I've never heard of mascara tubes before, and was totally baffled when I saw this post so I went on a google mission to understand what you (and the Sali Hughes woman) were talking about..

I came across this http://www.examiner.com/video/blinc-mascara-tube-mascara-performance-demonstration its sort of explained it to me, it might be useful for others who were baffled?

Not sure why but the idea scares me a bit :o think its because you see the tubes in your hands after you wash them off. I think I'd freak out that my eyelashes had fallen out?!

Is it really that simple to apply? It looks the same as regular mascara ( both in application and packaging).

Make up tips-

Eyebrows. They can make or break how your face/make up looks so make sure they are properly groomed, and if required, filled. I can't rate 'beautiful brows' enough. I don't use the stencils anymore, just the powder and brush. It makes my eyebrows and eyes look amazing.

Lips- exfoliate them with your toothbrush once or twice a week. It will make your lipstick sit and look better.
    Also, invest in 'Lipcote', its a miracle worker for red lips. Lipstick will not budge once you've put lipcote over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, I know what you mean! The little bits don't really look like eyelashes IMO, it's just something I saw other people mention. It's more like flaky bits when you wash, no biggie, and certainly easier to deal with than ordinary mascara that seems to be gone but then reappears in the morning.

Yup, it goes on like normal mascara. On work days I just use the black end, for going out I'll apply the white end first for a bit more glam. I would recommend giving it a whirl if you need something to make up a 3-for-2 deal or something.

Taking your advice about brows, I've always plucked them myself but am going to get them threaded next week. Will have a look for the set you mention too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Tubing mascara is amazing!

1. Most foundations are far too thick. Mix with moisturiser and use concealer if you have any blemishes so your face doesn't look caked on.

2. If you're pale and can't use bronzer to give you chiselled cheekbones, use a very light brown eyeshadow underneath the cheekbone and an illuminater over.

3. Use hairspray to keep your make-up on for longer.

4. When doing smokey eyes, instead of spending ages using a thousand different shades on different parts of the lid, go around your eyes with a black eyeliner and blend.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3. Use hairspray to keep your make-up on for longer.

I remember seeing a mother on Big Fat Gypsy Weddings spraying her young child straight in the face with hair spray to hold her make-up on, I assume that's not really how you do it... is it? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4. When doing smokey eyes, instead of spending ages using a thousand different shades on different parts of the lid, go around your eyes with a black eyeliner and blend.

I'm rubbish with eyeshadow, pencils and liners, I never feel like I have got it right. I end up going with just with a bit of ivory shadow and mascara, dead boring.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Blinc tubed mascara. Have a google, I can only find their US site though (I used to buy it when I lived in the UK) but they used to give away free samples of it.

To keep your lippy on for hours, after blotting go over it with an eyeshadow - matt or shimmery. I can't use things like Lipcote as they aggravate my lips and make my coldsores flare up :(.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    I use Blinc tubed mascara. Have a google, I can only find their US site though (I used to buy it when I lived in the UK) but they used to give away free samples of it.

To keep your lippy on for hours, after blotting go over it with an eyeshadow - matt or shimmery. I can't use things like Lipcote as they aggravate my lips and make my coldsores flare up :(.

Ooo I remembered a couple (must use them again). When you have put your lippy on - blot and then re-apply . For skinny lashes sweep a little bit of loose face powder over your lashes before putting your mascara on.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hair: When you don't have time to do your roots and the grey is showing - use eye shadow to cover and blend. It really works - and is a lot more effective (and cheaper) than the Nice'nEasy Roots colourant!
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing a mother on Big Fat Gypsy Weddings spraying her young child straight in the face with hair spray to hold her make-up on, I assume that's not really how you do it... is it? :o

Hahah no! You need to hold it at arm's length and only for a few seconds. Basically the alcohol in the hairspray keeps in on, which is what lipcote and she-laq(?) by benefit do.

Which reminds me, there's quite a few products you can use instead of branded ones.

- Dry shampoo is just talc.
    - Instead of buying tit tape, buy boxer's tape. It's a really thick double sided tape used to attach the wraps to their hands, and it comes in hugggge rolls and is dirt cheap. (Not strictly make-up).
    - A really cheap shimmery eyeshadow works just aswell as an expensive highlighter.
    - Most primers are just moisturisers which keep your make-up on by preventing your foundation from sinking into your skin - so just moisturise first.

Oh and for hair, the most amazing thing you can buy is setting lotion. It's quite difficult to find but I managed to hunt one down in Superdrug for less than a quid. It's a water-like solution that you run through your hair, and then style (either wet and allow to dry, or blow dry your hair with) and it keeps your hair in that exact hairstyle for days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahah no! You need to hold it at arm's length and only for a few seconds. Basically the alcohol in the hairspray keeps in on, which is what lipcote and she-laq(?) by benefit do.

Thanks for the clarification :D
    Oh and for hair, the most amazing thing you can buy is setting lotion. It's quite difficult to find but I managed to hunt one down in Superdrug for less than a quid. It's a water-like solution that you run through your hair, and then style (either wet and allow to dry, or blow dry your hair with) and it keeps your hair in that exact hairstyle for days.

That sounds like a good buy, I'll keep my eye out for some.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my granny telling me they used to make their setting lotion - 1 tsp of sugar dissolved in a cup of warm water. I will try it in the next few days and report back.
    Forum Member
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    I remember my granny telling me they used to make their setting lotion - 1 tsp of sugar dissolved in a cup of warm water. I will try it in the next few days and report back.

Ahh I didn't realise you could make your own! It took me forever to track some down after I remembered my granny using it. It's seriously the best thing ever, I wash my hair once a week, set it and it's perfect for the rest of the time.

Has anybody ever tried making their own sugar wax? I've read about it but I'm too wuss to try it.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use Lipcote on my lips, but due to over plucking my eyebrows years ago I have a couple of small gaps, after filling in with eyebrow pencil I then brush over Lipcote, eyebrows are perfect all day.

This tip came from a friend who had no eyebrows and used to get fed up redrawing them every couple of hours.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    The UK site for Blinc sells a sample size for about £2. I've bought it a couple of times and it's brilliant.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    To exfoliate my lips. I mix a bit of sugar into about half a teaspoon of honey, massage onto the lips, then wipe off with damp cloth.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    The UK site for Blinc sells a sample size for about £2. I've bought it a couple of times and it's brilliant.

Ooooo thanks for the heads up. Just bought a sample size to see what the fuss is all about!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use Lipcote on my lips, but due to over plucking my eyebrows years ago I have a couple of small gaps, after filling in with eyebrow pencil I then brush over Lipcote, eyebrows are perfect all day.

This tip came from a friend who had no eyebrows and used to get fed up redrawing them every couple of hours.

I do that too! Not due to over-plucking but I just think it keeps them nice and neat :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love this tip! I really struggle with my eyebrows as they often hurt ( no idea why) so I have to pluck the hair out to stop it hurting.
    I love my beautiful brows kit, but having lipcote on top as a second colour fixer would be fab. I always get paranoid that some of the brow powder has rubbed off. Shall try the lipcote trick this evening.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I love this thread !
    Thank you for the tips, I have purchased a tube of tubing mascara Ive gone the loreal one that was recommended, I am hoping it will come tomorrow, so I will report back.

Question for bored of lurking

the beautiful brow kit you have mentioned, is it this one?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321060482230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649