Thomson TG585 v7 router - configuration menu

BobTrollBobTroll Posts: 55
Forum Member
I have a Thomson TG585 v7wireless router & ADSL modem, supplied by Tiscali. It seems to work OK, although I shall need to contact Tiscali regarding disappointing download speeds, which are nowhere near the 5.5 Mbps that my line should be able to support (I am very close to the telephone exchange).

I should like to check various aspects of the router configuration - and change the password, etc.

I have discovered from another thread that the IP address for this modem is 192.168.1.254. That address allowed me to access various menus, but when I tried to change the password, it invited me to enter my "old password" and my "new password". Then, it rejected the old password and subsequently, it will not allow me to access any of the administration menus .

Does anyone know the default Administrator name and password for this modem?

Comments

• EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43

Default is Username = Adminstrator; Password is blank.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    yeah it's blank.

before you get one the pphone to tiscali check the speed in your test socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    yeah it's blank.

BobTroll :

Yes, leave the entry after Password empty i.e. the password is not "blank" :D:D:D.......but you knew that didn't you ;)
  • BobTrollBobTroll Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Thank you to your helpful replies.

I did need to perform a full reset and run the installation CD. Having restored the modem / router to its basic configuration, I was able to access the menus and select my own passwords, etc. Everything seems to be working OK.

I used this broadband connection at my holiday home for the first time on 11 September. The premises are at Orton, which is a small village in Cumbria. The local telephone exchange is unbundled and BT predicted a maximum connection speed of 5.5 Mbps. However, connection speeds are inconsistent.

I ensured that I was not running any file-sharing programs or similar utilities that might affect bandwidth. Then, I connected the modem to the BT test socket and visited websites at www.dslzoneuk.net, www.speedtest.net, and www.thinkbroadband.com to monitor performance. The results were reasonably consistent and I recorded the following download speeds at www.thinkbroadband.com.

11 September 20:56 - 256 Kbps
    11 September 23:53 - 3936 Kbps
    11 September 23:56 - 6533 Kbps
    12 September 09:36 - 6550 Kbps
    12 September 16:41 - 619 Kbps
    12 September 18:10 - 500 Kbps

I realise that perormance will vary at different times of day and night - and I shall be happy to achieve performance in excess of 4 Mbps. However, I was very surprised by these fluctuations - and I was not happy with 256 Kbps.

I wonder whether anyone can offer an explanation for the wide fluctuations. Is this normal for a new connection? If not, can I do anything to resolve the problem? I will not be able to visit the premises for a few weeks and in the meantime, the modem has been disconnected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really you should be leaving the equipment connected for the first couple of weeks until it sorts itself out. Until you have done this the speed will be a bit up and down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Can anybody help me further?
    I have the same router but the above Username and password won't work on mine. I haven't changed it, as I have never been able to access the configaration menu (which is what i'm trying to do)

I have tried Tiscali........but you may as well ask the cat. There tech support is useless.

Any help on Username and Password would be greatly appreciated!
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usernames are case sensitive.
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Usernames are case sensitive.

Yep, tried that and still no joy.
    Anymore ideas anyone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BobTroll wrote: »
    I did need to perform a full reset. Having restored the modem / router to its basic configuration, I was able to access the menus and select my own passwords, etc.

Tried this ? then use : Username = Adminstrator; Password = leave it blank
    Forum Member
    Earake your a star...thats done it!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earake your a star...thats done it!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

That was already mentioned in post #2 http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=27503675&postcount=2 :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I don't think Baz had done a reset.