Foxsat HDR HD upgrade

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
Forum Member
Advice needed on the best current 1TB HD replacement for my 350gb Foxsat HDR. The Western Digital one is now no longer available. Thanks

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    Rather than or as well as replacing the HDD you may be in interested in this new feature being included with Raydon's modded firmware:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1736200-nasmount-plug-humax-foxsat-hdr-web-interface.html
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Altone wrote: »
    Advice needed on the best current 1TB HD replacement for my 350gb Foxsat HDR. The Western Digital one is now no longer available. Thanks

Yes, the Freetime Freesat box has a 1TB HDD inside if you choose that option and it is also been made by Humax

See Here http://www.humaxdirect.com/product.asp?ProdRef=10109

Look around the web to get it cheaper
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Thanks joshua_welby & gomezz for your replies.

It wasn't a replacement set I was looking for, it was a replacement HD.
    I didn't word my request accurately, sorry!
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks joshua_welby & gomezz for your replies.

It wasn't a replacement set I was looking for, it was a replacement HD.
    I didn't word my request accurately, sorry!

You still haven't - do you really mean HDD (Hard disk drive) or HD (High definition) as an abbreviation for HD box?
  • coulrophobecoulrophobe Posts: 271
    Forum Member

I understood what you meant! This drive is suitable. Do a search for the best price.

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/pipeline-hd/?sku=ST1000VM002
    Forum Member
    I'll get it right eventually... promise

I want a replacement 1TB HDD.to replace the 350GB HDD that is now fitted in my Foxsat HDR.

Thanks davemurgatroyd

edit Thanks coulrophobe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the WD comparison chart:
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=150
    Forum Member
    Bob_Cat wrote: »

Thanks Bob_Cat very useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I recently purchased a 500Gb Foxsat-HDR, and was also thinking about upgrading the hard drive to 1Tb.

However, I am advised that the Foxsat-HDR requires a SATA 2 hard drive to work correctly, but these generally are no longer available.

Instead, in buying a modern SATA 3 hard drive replacement - something like the WD AV-GP WD10EURX 1Tb - a jumper in pins 5 and 6 is required to make them work in the Foxsat-HDR.

A pack of 50 jumper pins is available from Maplin for a couple of quid.
  • zubzub Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Which drives are currently more reliable Seagate or WD?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax buys both brands, if either had a failure rate that actually measured we wouldn't buy. I hear lots of people who say they have experience of one brand or another failing, but in our world disk failures are big business and we haven't seen anything anomalous.

Incidentally, I once calculated the theoretical storage capacity of our European stockpile of disks, commercial sensitivities prevent me from disclosing a number but needless to say :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I fitted a WD10EURX 1TB drive to mine a couple of months ago, just need a jumper for pins 5 & 6 and it's working perfectly. A very easy swap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I also add that the Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB works perfectly. (Don't be suprised if the box has to initialise it twice for some strange reason, but after that it has been perfect for months.)
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Chippy, need to upgrade my 320GB HD soon. How quick is the transfer of recording via the ftp method with custom firmware anyone. Also would it be possible to transfer via crossover cable connected to by pc/laptop with the same ip range and to do a ftp transfer?

Or has anyone tried cloning the drive via ghost, Paragon drive copy(which supports all linux partitions & then restore on new drive)

Too many questions:)
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zub wrote: »
    Thanks for that Chippy, need to upgrade my 320GB HD soon. How quick is the transfer of recording via the ftp method with custom firmware anyone. Also would it be possible to transfer via crossover cable connected to by pc/laptop with the same ip range and to do a ftp transfer?

Or has anyone tried cloning the drive via ghost, Paragon drive copy(which supports all linux partitions & then restore on new drive)

Too many questions:)

If you get a usb cradle and slot in the the old drive and connect to the rear port you can replay the recordings direct from there, also copy any recordings you want to the new HDD.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Graham, was thinking about the usb sata cradle option. I find the usb copy is slow though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zub wrote: »
    Thanks Graham, was thinking about the usb sata cradle option. I find the usb copy is slow though.

Yes it's slow but you don't need to copy the files at all, you can replay direct from the usb port and use the drive as a archive drive.

ftp is a bit faster but depends on how quick your network is.

If you want the fastest way to copy the recordings after the new drive is formatted remove it. Connect the old drive to a PC (Use EXT2FS) if you want to use windows and copy the contents of the video folder in partition 3. Connect the new drive (enable write if using EXT2FS) and copy the files to the same partition on the new HDD. Of course if you can connect both drives you can copy the files directly.

TIP If you don't use the Music/Photo partition use format again after install to reduce it to minimum size if 1GB (it's still large enough to run the CF).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put the old drive in a USB caddy and copied them all over using File Manager on the Humax. It took flipping ages. But you can select all the files in a folder, hit <copy> and go off and do something else for an hour or so, and then come back and do the next folder. I guess it took about a day whilst working from home. Pita but its done now.

I did think about using a PC running Linux, but I wasn't 100.00% confident I'd get the source and destination paths the right way around! (Being a Linux numpty and all).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chippy99 wrote: »
    I did think about using a PC running Linux, but I wasn't 100.00% confident I'd get the source and destination paths the right way around! (Being a Linux numpty and all).

Most versions of Linux have GUI File Explorer window that's just like using Windows Explorer. Uses drag and drop just the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kitchen HDR kept rebooting at random (original hard drive).

A new 1Tb WD10EZRX with a jumper on pins 5&6 seems to have done the trick.