F.r.i.e.n.d.s

Comments

• JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chandler was my fave character and then came the stupid mistake of having Chandler and Monica marry and from then on his character became very weak
  • Brendan TBrendan T Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    It just wasn't funny. I think they were hoping for another Frasier but Frasier was removed enough from the other characters in Cheers that it didn't matter that he was transplanted out of there.

The joy of Friends was that it was an ensemble and it worked best when the six of them or a combination of them were together. Remove the other five and it falls flat on its face.

For reasons that you will discover it would have been impossible for any of the other five to have a spin off in practical terms and so it was left to Matt Le Blanc who simply wasn't good enough on his own to carry a show.

It wasn't entirely terrible, there were one or two funny moments but it just didn't work.

As for my favourites, it's a toss up between Phoebe and Chandler with Monica and Joey close behind. Rachel I was always a bit :yawn: about but from beginning to end I hated Ross. I don't know why, maybe I just didn't like David Schwimmer or maybe it was the storylines that he had but I just never liked him. I always felt there was too much emphasis on Ross (probably to keep Schwimmer from walking since he was always threatening to) and I didn't find him an interesting character, his storylines just got more and more unbelievable as the series went along. I think almost every end of season climax was about Ross in some way.
    Jackassfan wrote: »
    Chandler was my fave character and then came the stupid mistake of having Chandler and Monica marry and from then on his character became very weak

Thanks you just ruined that for me
  • EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan T wrote: »

To be fair to the poster it was a story line from 2000/01 so isn't a big secret.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey had a spin off!?

You'll never guess what it was called!
    DarthFader wrote: »
    the studio audience whooped and hollered like children, and would laugh at them flushing the toilet.

That was especially true in the episode featuring Brad Pitt. The females were so excited at seeing him that they laughed hysterically at every mildly comical line he said. It was similar when Bruce Willis appeared. Oh and how funny they found it that Brad's character hated Rachel when in real life they were married! What side-splitting irony!

Other annoying whooping audience occurances were when there was a joyous event e.g Chandler and Monica getting engaged. The audience screams and applauds. After a few moments Joey breaks the "emotional" atmosphere by making a goofy comment, provoking over-the-top laughter.
    Seriously everyone slags of Emily despite her fiance saying Rachel's name at the altar. It actually dumbfounds me.

I know, Emily didn't actually do anything wrong! Even telling Ross to keep away from Rachel wasn't that bad. If your fiancé said his ex's name at the altar, you would be very suspicious of their friendship!

I do love Friends though. :p
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    borodave wrote: »
    Wait, Pheobe is peoples fav on here?

She's undoubtedly the worst character in the show. I've really never been able to warm to her at all. The things she says arent even funny, are just rude, incredibly self centred and arrogant :confused:

I never liked Pheobe either, in every single episode she said something mean
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fan here, in fact, I started rewatching Season 1 lastnight instead of X Factor! My favourite character used to be Chandler but I reckon he became a bit too whiny when he got with Monica. Joey became my favourite in the end even though he acted a bit too dumb!

One of the funniest moments was when Joey lied he could dance on his CV and he's invited to teach some students. When we see the result he runs off stage, can't think which episode though.
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends is like when Quality Street used to put the same chocolates in different wrappers to feign 'variety'.
    A seriously overrated show with awful over-acting and too much of that irritating talking-fast-then-gurning that American format comedies rely upon. A very 1990s experience.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    Why did David threaten to quit?

It wasn't so much that he threatened to quit, just that he was fed up of being tied to the series and wanted to do other things. They really had to try each and every time they renewed their contracts to get him to sign back on.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member

You're welcome although I don't believe that I gave anything away. After all, you asked about 'Joey!' and I only spoke about the series in general terms.
    Forum Member
    It is quite impressive they still had the orginal cast that long!

Did anyone else appear in Joey from friends?

Gunther was cool!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It is quite impressive they still had the orginal cast that long!

Did anyone else appear in Joey from friends?

Gunther was cool!

Dunno, but IMDB will be useful.
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Dunno, but IMDB will be useful.

Oh thanks, I'm still going to watch it all.

Did they all have successful careers after friends?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    Ross is absolutely hilarious in the later seasons. In fact, I think they all are. Friends is one of those rare shows that only got better with time. :)

I agree.

I don't actually like the first two seasons. For me, I only really find the show watchable from season three onward. I think my favourite season is season seven, because Monica and Chandler were my favourite couple and it was so nice watching the relationship grow. :)
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I agree.

I don't actually like the first two seasons. For me, I only really find the show watchable from season three onward. I think my favourite season is season seven, because Monica and Chandler were my favourite couple and it was so nice watching the relationship grow. :)

what was it like first time round when you watched it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    I just started watching Friends a few months ago, and I love it. :)
    I've managad to see most of the episodes becasue of E4 showing 3 episodes a night.
    My favourite character is probably Chandler, but it did change througout.
    My favourite season is probably season 5, especially the episodes The One Where They All Find Out, and The One With The Cop. They are just hilarious.
  • PlasticGobPlasticGob Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it daily! I know, I know! But as someone commented it is a great background show to have on and I usually have it on when I am doing the evening paper crossword!

Chandler was always my favourite, followed by Phoebe. Ross I hated him when he split up with Emily. Joey/Rachel storyline was stupid and I was never keen on Mike! I would have prefered Phoebe to get with David!
    Forum Member
    Did they make a film version?
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lot of people thought Monica changed and got whinier as the series progressed, but I actually thought that was a good thing. She got hardly any good material in the first few seasons.

My favourite is Chandler followed by Phoebe and Rachel (never got why people called her dull, her line delivery was pitch perfect). Then it's Monica (in the later seasons), Ross and Joey (they took the 'Joey is dumb' schtick too far sometimes).
    Forum Member
    Was there never a NEW friends member?

Would you have liked that??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody awful show, never liked it and I never will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ideal spin off from Friends would have been Monica and Ross's mum and dad - Jack and Judy. Those two crack me up every time. Would have been perfect.
    Forum Member
    So who would have you've chosen for a spin off?
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still love Friends and if I happen to be in front of the TV at 5pm (which is rare as I'm commuting from work), I will still watch them despite having them all on DVD!

By the later season, I absolutely adored Ross - I think he was hilarious. i agree with the poster above who said that Phoebe was the worst Friend. Agree with this - I found her mean, bitchy and arrogant. Any stories that centred around her i would more or less tune out.

Monica I also really loved and thought she was (and still is) stunning.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there never a NEW friends member?

Would you have liked that??
    I'm so glad that there wasn't. I guess you could say Mike was a part of the group at the end.
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    I'm so glad that there wasn't. I guess you could say Mike was a part of the group at the end.

Would you liek it to return for a series or one off?
This discussion has been closed.