What are the most frightening Horror movies?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Salems Lot scared me-when Danny Glick was scratching at the bedroom window :eek:
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exorcist is the only movie that truly scared me, and still does to this day. The Omen (original) is very scary too, particularly the music :eek:, and Billie Whitelaw was terrifying!!!

The Exorcist for me too, can't even hear the music or see a screen capture.

However l loved the Omen films, especially with Sam Neil in the 3rd one.:o
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Drag Me to Hell had a few "jump out of your seat" moments.

That was on TV recently, and l looked forward to being scared, it had me crying with laughter, especially the fight scenes with the old lady.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho
    Hallowe'en (or any of Carpenter's films as masterclass in horror filmmaking)
    Suspiria
    Freaks
    The Exorcist
    Carrie (for the shock ending if nothing else)
    The Haunting (original)
    Alien
    Hellraiser
    Audition
    Salem's Lot (TV miniseries that was also released as theatrical)
    Nightmare On Elm St
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Thirteen Ghosts being quite scary when I first saw it. We have a big mirror in our bathroom over the bath tub, and opposite that a smaller one above the sink, when you look in one, you can see the other. It took me ages to get the idea out of my head that I was going to look in one and see a ghost in the other one. :eek:
    I agree, The Strangers is very chilling.

A lot of these scary films are very unrealistic, and I think part of what makes The Strangers so frightening is that it could actually happen to you.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Session 9
    Dark Skies
    Fourth Kind
    Original Evil Dead
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I remember Thirteen Ghosts being quite scary when I first saw it. We have a big mirror in our bathroom over the bath tub, and opposite that a smaller one above the sink, when you look in one, you can see the other. It took me ages to get the idea out of my head that I was going to look in one and see a ghost in the other one. :eek:

A lot of these scary films are very unrealistic, and I think part of what makes The Strangers so frightening is that it could actually happen to you.

Even worse was saying 'candy man' in front of a mirror (after watching the film of course!) Love Candy Man - not too scarey (can't watch most of the new horror - too much for me).
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exorcist III
    The Innocents
    The Haunting (Original)
    The Others
    Wind Chill
    [REC]

- the only films to scare me.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy_Lynda wrote: »
    Hey, I'm currently researching for a media product at school and I need to find some scary horror movies that are considered the best.

I would like responses of incredibly creepy films that scare the hell out of people!

Any suggestions? What are the most frightening Horror Films? :)

Wolf Creek
    Eden Lake

Disturbing. Both films left a nasty taste in my mouth and stayed with me.
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Wolf Creek
    Eden Lake

Disturbing. Both films left a nasty taste in my mouth and stayed with me.

Agree about Eden Lake :(
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add to my previous list:Jacob's Ladder
    The Beyond
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Drag Me to Hell had a few "jump out of your seat" moments.

Interesting video from Mark Kermode this week saying that's meaningless, as anyone can do 'quiet, quiet, quiet, quiet, boo' type scenes and the natural reaction is to jump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab8oi4ThVS0

I quite liked Drag Me... but more because it was funny than anything else.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Obvious choice but Exorcist 3 is pretty spooky ass frightening. It's actually better than the original.

I agree. Absolutely fab film. Exorcist 2 is cringeworthy.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that Poltergeist still makes me edgy afterwards. Not so much the 2nd or 3rd ones though.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    American Werewolf In London was pretty scary

I hadn't seen this in years, so watched it when it was on TV the other week, and it just looked so old and dated and seemed rather silly now. I was chuckling at the scene in the cinema towards the end of the film, with the corpses suggesting ways David could kill himself :D

These have already been mentioned, but are the ones that unsettled me:

Hallowe'en
    The Omen
    Children of the Corn
    The Thing
    Nightmare on Elm Street
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched Paranormal Activity.Sure scared the hell out of me.:eek:
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The blair witch project terrified me
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    My fave is The Eye (original 2002 film), especially the elevator scene.

Safe to say I have never gone anywhere near the US remake. I like many Asian horror films and the US remakes always spoil them for me, taking out the very thing that makes them special - the mystery and the bleakness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susan_1 wrote: »
    Salems Lot scared me-when Danny Glick was scratching at the bedroom window :eek:

Same here.Even after all these years.I can still see him.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolf Creek
    Audition
    Insidious.

Not really horror, but Alien and Jaws both had some pretty scary scenes.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    I hadn't seen this in years, so watched it when it was on TV the other week, and it just looked so old and dated and seemed rather silly now. I was chuckling at the scene in the cinema towards the end of the film, with the corpses suggesting ways David could kill himself :D

These have already been mentioned, but are the ones that unsettled me:

Hallowe'en
    The Omen
    Children of the Corn
    The Thing
    Nightmare on Elm Street

I totally disagree about American Werewolf in London. One of the scariest films I've ever seen and in terms of atmosphere I've never seen it bettered. Are you sure you didn't watch American Werewolf in Paris by accident? :D

I agree with Halloween, The Omen and the Thing by the way but not with Children of the Corn and I thought Nightmare on Elm Street was overrated.

Other films I would recommend are Ringu (the Japanese version, well worth the effort of reading sub-titles!) and Wolf Creek.
  • hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poltergeist II (still can't watch it on my own and I'm nearly 40!)
    Original Omen
    Original Amityville Horror
    The original Shining
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen King's IT used to completely terrify me. I still find it unsettling.

"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too!" :eek::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen King's IT used to completely terrify me. I still find it unsettling.

"They all float. And when you're down here with us, you'll float too!" :eek::o

True,very scary.But the ending was the biggest anti climax to a film I think I've ever seen.As if they couldn't be bothered finishing it right.:(
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    True,very scary.But the ending was the biggest anti climax to a film I think I've ever seen.As if they couldn't be bothered finishing it right.:(

I can't agree that 'IT' was scary. The book terrified me as a twelve year old, but even then I found the miniseries laughable (although Tim Curry was, as usual, excellent). It just suffered from being a miniseries (in that it was naturally restricted in what it could show) and had some the worst writing I've heard in any supposedly scary show. If I recall, the main female character, Beverly, at one point laments, 'why is IT so meeeaaaan?'. I burst out laughing. This is a shape-shifting demonic entity that kills children and feasts on their fear as well as their flesh. Someone 'mean' comes off as a little inadequate!