Tate Stevens dropped by label

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
Forum Member
Well. It looks like the latest X Factor USA winner, Tate Stevens, is no longer listed on the Sony Nashville website. He was under the RCA Nashville umbrella. When an artist is deleted from a label website, it usually means they’ve been dropped. Or, “parted ways” with the label, in PR parlance.

During his season, Tate’s storyline as the all-American family man was wildly appealing to X Factor voters. Contestant voting order was revealed during every results show up until the final 3, and the country singer was in 1st place nearly every week.

But as we singing competition fanatics know, a viewer willing to pick up the phone isn’t necessarily going to open their wallets after the confetti has fallen and the albums are out. Tate’s self titled debut sold 16,859 copies when it dropped back in May. Fellow season 2 alums, fourth place finishers, Emblem3, released their record last week and outsold him handily, landing in the Billboard 200 at No. 7 and selling 46K. When 3rd place finishers, Fifth Harmony, drop their record later this year, I am betting they’ll outsell Tate as well.

Hey, maybe there is room for Tate in that world X Factor thingy taking place in Indonesia that season 1 winner, Melanie Amaro, is competing in. At the same time, you can comfort yourself with the fact that you got to release an album at all.

Comments

• jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    The main reason for Tate's poor selling was probably because of how weak the album and music was on it. Compared to other country musicians who have developed a way of making country music different to them.
    It is disappointing though as I quite like Tate and if he created better material, similar to the type of music Rascal Flatts produce but we'll probably never see that now :(
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think a really good successful winner or runner-up is the greatest advert for the show - forget any show twists and the judging panel - a success story creates just as much excitement because you're creating a bit of buzz for the next series. The US show has yet to achieve this in any way re: the winner. I'm not blaming the act in any way, it may well be the label?

Leona winning the UK show and then having her massive no.1 with Bleeding Love really pushed the show to a different level, I think.
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    This is a problem I saw coming pretty much halfway through the live shows. It seems like a typical American voter thing to love the country singer with the cowboy hat and give him the win... And then forget about him about 12 minutes later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen this coming since Tate won the first public vote, I always assumed America was voting for Tate the story rather than Tate the singer, hopefully X Factor USA is a third time lucky this year, I want the winner to be a success.
  • Vister:)!Vister:)! Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Personally, I think a really good successful winner or runner-up is the greatest advert for the show - forget any show twists and the judging panel - a success story creates just as much excitement because you're creating a bit of buzz for the next series. The US show has yet to achieve this in any way re: the winner. I'm not blaming the act in any way, it may well be the label?

Leona winning the UK show and then having her massive no.1 with Bleeding Love really pushed the show to a different level, I think.

Completely agree with this post! Having said that Season 3 of Xfactor usa must find a successful winner!
  • konofiliuskonofilius Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha it just confirms how pathetic American version is. Cant wait to see Paulina Rubio be a clown there this year. Very unsuccesful version of the show.
  • Grof_GriffGrof_Griff Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Yes... For some reason this version of the show felt so cheesy last 'season', far more than the first... :(
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tate bored me. America just goes crazy for anything wearing a cowboy hat.

Was last year's the first season (I give in, it's clearer to use this Americanism!) in which the voting results were revealed? I didn't watch the previous one. It made things dull and predictable to know that either Tate or Carly were coming top every week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so both XFUSA winners have now been dropped?
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    so both XFUSA winners have now been dropped?

I don't think Melanie has been dropped. God knows what they're doing with her though.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    When an artist is deleted from a label website, it usually means they’ve been dropped. Or, “parted ways” with the label, in PR parlance.

It's quite often that they "part ways". People love the sensationalism and the drama of the thought of an artist getting dropped, so everybody loves to assume that, but it's not always the case. Sometimes the artist could've genuinely stayed signed to that label for longer if they wanted.

Not saying that's the case in this situation, i have no idea who this guy is, but I never assume someone has properly been "dropped" unless it's confirmed, since there's too many other possibilities. I've read someone's record contract before, it's probably the most complicated thing I've ever read lol.