Fed up with todays music get the old Bealtles LP's out and listen.

PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
Forum Member
Im a bit fed up with current music and the dross that is generated , so much so, that I dug out my old LP collection especially THe Beatles. What a joy and totally brillant.

Young people of today should be made to lsten to old Beatles LP's like Please please Me , Help, Revolver, rubber soul and my favourite Beatles for sale and Abbey Road.

Anybody else out there a bit like me or are all good music lovers destined to listen to Rap crap for the rest of or lives.

Its time music returned to 60's music.

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the Internet, all sixties music including very obscure tracks not easily accessible in the past is very accessible now. It's easier than ever for anyone to listen to old music.

Like you the Sixties is also my favourite decade for music, but I think if most kids today listened to it they'd just find it old fashioned and not very appealing - even artists as good as the Beatles. Let today's kids have their own music, as awful as you or I might find it.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't need a return to 60s music, we need people to get over their charts obsession and broaden their horizons enough to realise that there is plenty of great new music out there.

Perhaps this thread should be merged into the existing one on modern music?
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    The only .'modern music' I listen to is Gaslight Anthem and Weller, plus a bit of Oasis unplugged now and again.

Apart from that it's all 60's and 70's stuff for me, not really a fan of The Beatles though.

Stuff that's never off my iPod -

Springsteen
    Dylan
    The Band
    Van Morrison
    Marvin Gaye
    The Who
    The Jam
    The Clash
    Aretha Franklin
    Otis Redding
    Fleetwood Mac

Plus loads of other Blues and Soul music.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny 99 wrote: »
    The only .'modern music' I listen to is Gaslight Anthem and Weller, plus a bit of Oasis unplugged now and again.

If your listening to The Gaslight Anthem you should also be listening to The Hold Steady, The Walkmen, Against Me!, Jerzey Street Band and obvisously The Horrible Crowes.
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    If your listening to The Gaslight Anthem you should also be listening to The Hold Steady, The Walkmen, Against Me!, Jerzey Street Band and obvisously The Horrible Crowes.

TBF apart from The Hold Steady I haven't heard of the others but will give them a go. Cheers.
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I prefer what more current bands have produced with the influence of The Beatles to what they actually produced themselves:/
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to listen to exclusively to chart music, got a bit fed up with it, and decided to make an effort to listen to stuff from older generations. I was amazed as I found myself listen to stuff from the 40's, 50's and 60's, and in doing so it actually put me off a lot of today's music!

Don't get me wrong, I still love a lot of chart music, but I discovered there is a lot more out there :)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely cannot stand The Beatles and hate the insinuation that nothing since could or has ever come close. There is a wealth of modern music that is more than equal to or good as you just gotta look for it.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I genuinely cannot stand The Beatles and hate the insinuation that nothing since could or has ever come close. There is a wealth of modern music that is more than equal to or good as you just gotta look for it.

Post of the week:D totally agree
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Like you the Sixties is also my favourite decade for music

There are still bands with a sixties sound.

Here's an example:

The Resonars - Invisible Gold

That's a local arizonan band that plays retro psychedelia... if I didn't tell you that song came out in 2013, you'd think it was 1968.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't need a return to 60s music, we need people to get over their charts obsession and broaden their horizons enough to realise that there is plenty of great new music out there.

Perhaps this thread should be merged into the existing one on modern music?
    That thread appears to have dissapeared. :confused:
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That thread appears to have dissapeared. :confused:

Bloody hell it really has :eek:
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I grew up with the Beatles and my musical tastes matured with them

But as I've got older I've gone back to the first 4 or 5 albums, the three minute boy meets girl, boy loses girl type songs

They're brilliant - at the minute No Reply and Eight Days A Week are in favour

My favourites albums are the two soundtrack LPs - Help and Hard Days Night

Every track is a gem...........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Stones fan? :p
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really into boy bands :D if you ever get bored of the Beatles, there is always One Direction.
    Forum Member
    I was brought up on The Beatles (courtesy of my grandparents)

18 years of age, and my favourites are Paul McCartney (and Wings), The Beatles, The Kinks, Arctic Monkeys, Pink Floyd, The Who, George Harrison, 10cc, Electric Light Orchestra, Billy Joel, Oasis, Blur, Fleetwood Mac, The Black Keys, Bob Dylan, Coldplay, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, ACDC, Queen, The Vaccines...

Mix between new and old :)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The cultural significance of The Beatles is well documented and evidenced and they were a very popular chart group.
    On the other hand The Velvet Underground sold very few records in their time but have almost as much cultural influence as John, Paul, Ringo and Bert. I don't have any problem recognising the significance of both.

I've listening a lot to Slint recently and in future they may get similar recognition to VU, no guarantee of course. My bet is Nine Inch Nails are the real innovators and Gaga has more to offer but it could be that 1D or that twerp Bieber will have the lasting cultural influence. Life ain't it?
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny 99 wrote: »
    TBF apart from The Hold Steady I haven't heard of the others but will give them a go. Cheers.

The Horrible Crowes are Brian Fallons (lead singer/somg writer of gaslight) other group - if anything they are even more Springsteen like, only one album called 'Elsie' it's ****ing great.
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    The cultural significance of The Beatles is well documented and evidenced and they were a very popular chart group.
    On the other hand The Velvet Underground sold very few records in their time but have almost as much cultural influence as John, Paul, Ringo and Bert. I don't have any problem recognising the significance of both.

I've listening a lot to Slint recently and in future they may get similar recognition to VU, no guarantee of course. My bet is Nine Inch Nails are the real innovators and Gaga has more to offer but it could be that 1D or that twerp Bieber will have the lasting cultural influence. Life ain't it?

Only in the same manner as the Spice Girls
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a bit fed up with current music and the dross that is generated , so much so, that I dug out my old LP collection especially THe Beatles. What a joy and totally brillant.

Young people of today should be made to lsten to old Beatles LP's like Please please Me , Help, Revolver, rubber soul and my favourite Beatles for sale and Abbey Road.

Anybody else out there a bit like me or are all good music lovers destined to listen to Rap crap for the rest of or lives.

There are some some really talented female artists making music around today that is just as good as the 60s stuff. Acts like Caro Emerald, Paloma Faith, Joss Stone, Florence And The Machine, Lianne La Havas who would all have fitted into the 60s and made a big name for themselves had they been around then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7y2YwklY68
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    There are some some really talented female artists making music around today that is just as good as the 60s stuff.

Add Theresa Andersson to that list. She's a swede, living in New Orleans, singing soul music, in a one-woman band.

Theresa Andersson - Birds Fly Away
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    There are some some really talented female artists making music around today that is just as good as the 60s stuff. Acts like Caro Emerald, Paloma Faith, Joss Stone, Florence And The Machine, Lianne La Havas who would all have fitted into the 60s and made a big name for themselves had they been around then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7y2YwklY68

I'm not a 60s snob at all but two things about that list and I like most of those artists (not Joss Stone).

One, good artists yes but all a bit retro (not necessarily a bad thing but not innovators and surprised you didn't mention Amy Winehouse or Adele). Two, really could any of them touch the garments of Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin or Tina Turner?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No they shouldn't! Young people of today should be encouraged to listen to various things but not made to! That is the quickest way to switch young people off! Anyway most people find their musical way eventually !
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    60's music is where it's at guys, not necessarily the Beatles though. :D
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to old ABBA songs, does that count? :o

summer night city *bops*