Queen Victoria's Children.

Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is on Tuesday on BBC 2 at 9pm and for the next two nights looks really interesting will be definatly recording it.:)

Comments

• MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    looking forward to this too..thought I'd missed it though.. glad I haven't
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    looking forward to this too..thought I'd missed it though.. glad I haven't

Looks really interesting love anything to do with Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.;)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Looks interesting....but over three nights, maybe to much for one week.
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me. :)
  • shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this... got the Sky box set to record the series.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the TiVo set up for it. It got good preview in Radio Times. She sounds really harsh towards her children, referring to their "complete absence of chin". Had she looked at herself? Pot kettle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this. :)
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So am I.:) I believe she greatly enjoyed what led to having children but not so much the children themselves. :D
  • katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    So am I.:) I believe she greatly enjoyed what led to having children but not so much the children themselves. :D

Indeed, yes. When told by her doctor, after the birth of her 9th child, that she shouldn't have any more, she was quoted to have replied "Oh, does that mean no more fun in bed" (or words to that effect!)

Looking forward to this, QV is one of my favourite monarchs and I've read many books about her children as written by John Van der Kiste
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to watching it too. I watched an interesting programme on her Diamond Jubilee the other night on one of the freeview channels. It showed an interview with one of her great-grand children.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katie wrote: »
    Indeed, yes. When told by her doctor, after the birth of her 9th child, that she shouldn't have any more, she was quoted to have replied "Oh, does that mean no more fun in bed" (or words to that effect!)

Looking forward to this, QV is one of my favourite monarchs and I've read many books about her children as written by John Van der Kiste

I bet she wan't lying back thinking of England, or indeed the Empire! :D
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was quite revealing. I didn't know too much about the family relationships so it was strange for me to learn Victoria's views on babies etc - finding them quite tiresome and calling very young babies frog-like or words to that effect!

Even Albert who contrary to Victoria actually liked to play with the children, still treated them like a project. He seemed to also have his hands full with Victoria's temperament which was quite opposite to his.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The descriptions of her arguments and tantrums made me think of Blackadder: in an alternative version, Miranda Richardson could have played a stroppy young Queen Victoria instead of a spoilt young Queen Elizabeth I.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Shocking to hear that Victoria didn't like her babies, describing them as frogs. She wasn't a great beauty herself but her children in paintings looked quite attractive altough somewhat miserable with down turned mouths.
    How sad that Vicky was married off at the age of seventeen. But It seems a good series and I am looking forward to the second installment tonight.
    I was quite interested that the names given to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie were named after Queen Victoria's daughters and granddaughter.
    I wonder which other names could be left for Prince William and Catherine to pick. Maybe Elizabeth is reserved for them to choose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    A very interesting programme, and thank goodness it was presented with voice overs, and not some "name" wandering about in front of the cameras. Also , they didn't go down the route of recreating scenes with modern actors.

I didn't know that the children spoke with a German accent, even late in life .
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Shocking to hear that Victoria didn't like her babies, describing them as frogs. She wasn't a great beauty herself but her children in paintings looked quite attractive altough somewhat miserable with down turned mouths.
    How sad that Vicky was married off at the age of seventeen. But It seems a good series and I am looking forward to the second installment tonight.
    I was quite interested that the names given to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie were named after Queen Victoria's daughters and granddaughter.
    I wonder which other names could be left for Prince William and Catherine to pick. Maybe Elizabeth is reserved for them to choose.

I haven't watched this programme yet but am very much looking forward to it. I know from lots of reading about it, that Victoria was not a good mother although she liked to think she was. This trait ran through the royalty to a certain extent. Although Edward VII loved his children and used to spoil them, his son who became George V was a dreadful father. He apparently bullied his children so much that they were terrified of him and it most likely led to the stammer that George VI had and which George V subsequently bullied him about. The eldest son, who became Edward VIII and later the Duke of Windsor, was so frightened of his father that when he was called to his study to see him he fainted with nerves about it. I read once that if George V and Queen Mary had been a normal family that the children would have most likely been taken into care!

What happened to the eldest daughter, Victoria, was so sad. She was married off and went to live in Germany for the rest of her life at only 17. She became the mother of Kieser Bill and she was very frightened of him as she got older. She also died at a relatively young age of cancer.

I also think that it is probable that Prince William and Katherine will name any girl they have Elizabeth. I know that Charles and Diana had it reserved for a girl, so it is quite possible that the same has been done for William. For a boy, it is difficult to tell. Both William's father and his uncle, Earl Spencer, are Charles but I don't think they would chose that as having two Prince Charles's at the same time would cause difficulites. William's other Grandfather was John (the old Earl Spencer) but royalty aren't keen on using that name as King John is known as England's worst king, and that last Prince John, who was the youngest son of George V, suffered with epilepsy and learning difficulties and died while very young. Edward is taken up. Perhaps George, William's Great Grandfather? His other Great Grandfather was Andrew which is also taken up. We will have to wait and see. I can't remember what Kate's Father's name is.

Sorry for the long ramble. :o
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her dad is called Michael.

Of course, the name taken when someone becomes King isn't necessarily their given name - the Queen's Dad was George VI but that was only his fourth name - Albert/Bertie was his name name :cool:
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    A very interesting programme, and thank goodness it was presented with voice overs, and not some "name" wandering about in front of the cameras. Also , they didn't go down the route of recreating scenes with modern actors.

I thought they were recreating scenes with modern actors, were those films of the children and parents archive material? :):):)

At least these scenes were just used as background.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    taken into care!

What happened to the eldest daughter, Victoria, was so sad. She was married off and went to live in Germany for the rest of her life at only 17. She became the mother of Kieser Bill and she was very frightened of him as she got older. She also died at a relatively young age of cancer.

o

I read and reread your post and wondered who on earth Kieser Bill was !!He sounds like a jazz player ! Until I realized it was Kaiser Wilhelm the 2nd !!

I watched the programme and what struck me was the similarity of all the children to the now reigning Royal Family , At least they had each other to play with despite the mothers lack of love I guess
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that the Royal PR and spin machinations were more of a recent thing, but after watching this it seems that Victoria and Albert were at the forefront of painting a false picture of themselves to keep the public in line.

Also, glad to see that this isn't the fawning, sugar-coated piece of TV that I thought it was going to be. I will also have to look up about the old Duke of Cambridge and the alleged murdering of his valet scandal. I've never heard of that one before.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »

With her cousin - gross.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be interested to know where the descendants of her all her children are now, seeing as she had 9, surely all her great great great grandchildren can't be titled - or can they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, it appears that I've missed it.:(
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read and reread your post and wondered who on earth Kieser Bill was !!He sounds like a jazz player ! Until I realized it was Kaiser Wilhelm the 2nd !!

I watched the programme and what struck me was the similarity of all the children to the now reigning Royal Family , At least they had each other to play with despite the mothers lack of love I guess

Victoria herself didn't have that happier a childhood, though - andI don't think that they were that much different to the majority of the aristrocratic families of the day - especially those close to the throne. Victoria herself had been born from a marriage specificially geared to get an heir quick sharp. if Princess Charlotte (or her baby) had survived then there would have been no need for the unmarried brothers of the Prince Regent to bolt down the aisle.

Boys were born to be the heir and back up plans, girls were marriage barganing chips.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be interested to know where the descendants of her all her children are now, seeing as she had 9, surely all her great great great grandchildren can't be titled - or can they?

There is quite a bit on Wonkypedia, you can follow the children down through their marriages.

There was a discussion on USENET recently about a "Royal GEDCOM", there seem to be quite a number of websites with family history reports and files on the Royal family.