Friends or Will and Grace?

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
Channel 4 are currently showing Will and Grace at 7 o'clock each morning which I'm enjoying watching while getting ready for work. But if judging both series in their entirety I would say Friends wins it for me. Will and Grace started to rely on too many guest stars from Season 5 and apart from the first episodes of Season 6, I didn't really find any of the later episodes from then to Season 8 very funny although there were some stand out funny moments. Season 7-8 of Friends I didn't like. And Friends had some really stupid and unbelievable story ideas (Joey speaking French for example.) But as a whole I like it better.

However Season 2-4 of Will and Grace was so much funnier and better than anything Friends ever did.

What are your opinions and which do you like more and why?

Comments

• BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    If I had to choose then I'd say Friends. I was never much for Will & Grace, the characters never really did it for me.

That being said, Frasier is easily better than both.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I much preferred Friends but also liked Will & Grace
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm v+ing Will and Grace in the mornings and it is good but I'd have to say Friends is better. I liked everyone on Friends but on Will and Grace I find Grace a little bit annoying.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    on the occasions i watched will & grace i didnt like it so friends for me was better
  • WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends was better in its time but hasn't aged well. Perhaps because I've seen them all repeatedly. Will and Grace I'm more likely to watch these days, it's more laugh out loud funny to me.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Death please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive seen both too many times now to really enjoy them but...

Will and grace is lol every episode but theres no depth. Karen is funnier than any charectar ever in friends though. As a standalone half hour, it wins.

Friends is a classic but there are a lot of duff episodes. The writing is clever and it draws you in to loving your faves. Personally i couldnt stand Ross but he mustve been liked by some people but the Ross episodes I couldnt stand.

Of course Jen, Courtney and Lisa made it for me, I much preferred the girls over the guys.

They are both classics. I also preferred the ending of W&G over Friends. Friends ended up way to corny.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends....I found the characters in Will and Grace to be very irritating, especially Karen and Sean.
    They were too shallow, dim and vacuous to be likeable.
    Friends were people that we watched grow and changed and they were will acted characters too. And they had great casting with Ross and Monica's parents too. I also loved the Monica and Chandler pairing.
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my two favourite shows.
    Friends then W&G, but they're so close for me. Both amazing shows.
  • JournalJournal Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree with your thinking on Will and Grace intoxication. I have the Will and Grace boxset and I find Seasons 1-4 are consistent and much better than any series of Friends for me. That said, Friends made it 10 seasons without what felt like a 'serious' change in quality, while Will and Grace there is a very noticeable change in quality when the writers change Season 5+ - they're still enjoyable and sometimes even knock it out of the park but not quite as often as its 'glory days'.

I think Will and Grace is better, but it has been a while since I sat through Friends from the beginning and that might sway things!
  • OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    Friends was better in its time but hasn't aged well. Perhaps because I've seen them all repeatedly. Will and Grace I'm more likely to watch these days, it's more laugh out loud funny to me.

BIB: I agree 100%. Friends was fantastic in it's time, but years on, it's not as great as it was made out to be. Stuff like How I Met Your Mother is much better than it. But I'd still vote Friends over W&G.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love both but id say friends. I like the character of Karen but her voice sometimes can get extremely annoying
  • L.O.V.EL.O.V.E Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    friends wins every time
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I loved both, but Will & Grace just edges it. Probably the best ensemble cast in a comedy series of the last 15 years. Karen had so many classic lines. :D
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    Will & Grace does it for me. Jack & Karen IMO are one of the funniest characters in tv history. The earlier seasons of Will & Grace were much better, later seasons took a bit of a dive and relied too much on celebrity appearances but i still found all the episodes very enjoyable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Will & Grace does it for me. Jack & Karen IMO are one of the funniest characters in tv history. The earlier seasons of Will & Grace were much better, later seasons took a bit of a dive and relied too much on celebrity appearances but i still found all the episodes very enjoyable.

Easy choice, Will and Grace, by a mile. Have to agree about Jack and Karen were amazing. I actually preferred to them to Will and Grace, and Will being my least liked characters out of the main four. Have to admit that it did start to go down hill towards the end, but feel like the last season did get better the previous few. And the first live episode (the premiere of the season eight) was great. The second however, too 'slap stick' for my liking, it was lacking almost any quilaity. Flat as flat can be. On the whole, W&G wins easily for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I love both but Will & Grace edges it for me because it was much funnier than Friends.

Season's 1-4 of W&G were easily the best and there was quite a change from Season 5 onwards. It became far too serious at times along with too many new characters and a guest star in practically every episode. The last episode(s) were particularly grim.

Friends wasn't as 'laugh out loud' funny but the characters made it much more inviting to watch. Friends had a lot of dud episodes particularly in the later seasons.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks there isn't any marked difference between the quality of Will and Grace episodes in the first four seasons compared to the last four seasons. I don't think the last four seasons are quite as good as the first four, but I don't think the difference is that vast.

On topic, I prefer Will and Grace to Friends, but Frasier and How I met Your Mother trounces both!
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Friends is one of the greatest comedies of all time and a good argument could actually be made for it being the greatest (Not the greatest for me personally, but certainly one of the best).

Will and Grace, while not my cup of tea, is a decent to good show, not really even close to the league of comedies such as Friends IMO. Friends was a comedy that is historic, set the bar, introduced more important characters and ultimately you could say it was more relatable too. Friends had a massive impact, which you cant really say about Will and Grace.
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friends, but only from series 5 onwards
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Friends all the way....and well done to the writers too!!!:D:D:D
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will & Grace. Actually I prefer Jack & Karen. Why didn't they ever have their own series?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I alway found Will to be a bit of a dull character while Grace had her moments but I agree Jack and Karen stole the show, it happens quite a lot in sitcoms where the supporting characters outshine the main character, its particularly in shows like How I Met Your Mother where Barney get more laughs than Ted whose actually the least interesting and he's meant to be the main character.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will and Grace?! What? It isn't even worthy enough to be mentioned in the same breath as the lamest comedy, let alone the mighty Friends.