Help for a new laptop user

ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,053
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My son has bought a new laptop and given me his old one, I have never had one before, as I prefer a desktop. However, the battery is dead, so he says it must be kept plugged in all the time. I hardly ever use it (prefer sitting at my desk)and feel I am wasting electricity by having it plugged in constantly. Will it do any harm to unplug? Sorry, but don't know much about laptops.

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't do it any harm at all leaving it unplugged.
    The motherboard has it's own cmos battery, to keep basic settings, so it's really no different to having a desktop PC unplugged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably means it just needs plugging in all the time (when you need to use it), since the battery won't retain a charge. I don't think he literally means keep it plugged in 24/7. There would be no reason to do that unless you actually need the computer on 24/7.

It doesn't sound like you do though. Unplug and plug it in when you need to use it, unplug it when you don't.
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Shouldn't do it any harm at all leaving it unplugged.
    The motherboard has it's own cmos battery, to keep basic settings, so it's really no different to having a desktop PC unplugged.
    Thanks for that!:)
    He probably means it just needs plugging in all the time (when you need to use it), since the battery won't retain a charge. I don't think he literally means keep it plugged in 24/7. There would be no reason to do that unless you actually need the computer on 24/7.

It doesn't sound like you do though. Unplug and plug it in when you need to use it, unplug it when you don't.

Thanks for advice, I understand it needs to be plugged in to use it ,as the battery is dead, but for some reason he told me to never unplug, probably because he kept it plugged in all the time as he used it such a lot, I imagine.
  • pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The battery in my laptop died years ago and I've been running it off the mains ever since.
    I'll plug it in and boot up each day. If I'm not going to use it for a while I'll just close the lid to put it into sleep mode which hardly uses any power, and it's instantly ready to go when you lift the lid again.
    Last thing at night I'll shut it down properly and unplug.
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pavier wrote: »
    The battery in my laptop died years ago and I've been running it off the mains ever since.
    I'll plug it in and boot up each day. If I'm not going to use it for a while I'll just close the lid to put it into sleep mode which hardly uses any power, and it's instantly ready to go when you lift the lid again.
    Last thing at night I'll shut it down properly and unplug.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know , if it was using much power while plugged in. It has been in sleep mode for 3 days as I haven't been near it, now I know I can shut it down without any problems I am much happier.:)
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bios battery also has a finite lifespan so keeping it plugged in may be a necessity
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    the bios battery also has a finite lifespan so keeping it plugged in may be a necessity
    A dead BIOS battery might not be that big a problem though.

The real time clock will stop so the data and time at boot up will be wrong. However if the operating system is configured to get it's time from an internet source that should correct itself. Things like disk drives and other hardware should auto detect on power up so shouldn't be a problem.

I've run PC's at work with dead BIOS batteries and about the biggest problem has been the warning notice it pops up every time the PC is switched on. The PCs have all worked perfectly fine once booted up.