pet insurance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,008
Forum Member
✭✭✭
anyone know of a good pet insurance for a beagle puppy.hes 10 weeks old thanks:D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hiya i have been looking into insurances too for my german sheperd and my little shih-tzu puppy i have had quotes off quite a few but i am considering the halifax there lifetime insurance looks a good deal.
  • MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw i remember when my Lhasa was a tiny puppy he was adorable!

I have heard that Marks and Spencer is very good for pet Insurance. I used to be with Tesco but they hiked the price after the 1st year so I shopped around.

I am now with E & L Insurance and they have been okay. Its £9.50 per month and the coverage is good with £50 excess. It is seemingly impossible to get pet insurance with no excess whatever the cost.

Try insuresupermarket for a list of prices and see which one suits you best.

Happy house training.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I have Tesco pet insurance for my elderly springer spaniel. She was a rescue dog & I got her when she was 6. Tesco insured her at that age & I have claimed a couple of times over the last 4 years. No trouble at all, I found them very helpful and premiums are quite moderate.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Halifax insurance. I have had to use them recently, and they were excellent and paid the vet directly (some dont).

I was with E&L and i wasnt happy. I stayed with them for 1year. I made a small claim for about £30 (they wouldnt deal directly with the vets) and it took them about 16 weeks to settle up - and that was with constant chasing.

Also - Halifax is a lifelong plan, whereas some wont insure you if the dog / cat gets above a certain age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Mollybe wrote: »
    Aw i remember when my Lhasa was a tiny puppy he was adorable!

I have heard that Marks and Spencer is very good for pet Insurance. I used to be with Tesco but they hiked the price after the 1st year so I shopped around.

I am now with E & L Insurance and they have been okay. Its £9.50 per month and the coverage is good with £50 excess. It is seemingly impossible to get pet insurance with no excess whatever the cost.

Try insuresupermarket for a list of prices and see which one suits you best.

Happy house training.

We're paying around 14.00 each per month for our 2 dogs with M&S. Hadn't realised the price had risen so much till I got the new renewal notice - it started off at 10.00 each.
    Am now changing to Tesco at 9.50 approx each dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know of a good pet insurance for a beagle puppy.hes 10 weeks old thanks:D

I don't think you can insure your pup until it's 12 weeks old so you have lots of time to chose.
    If you have a good vet ask him. He will know the service he gets from the pets owners and insurance companies.
    Remember you only get what you pay for and read the small print.
    My dog isn't insured as he had an illness when he was only a few months old and insurance was prohibitive. Thankfully he's been OK since then, now 2 1/2 years old.
  • ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours are with Healthy Pets... From £2.76 per month with a £50 excess on the Bronze plan which rises up to Silver and then Gold Plans with extra benefits... Slight increase in premiums if pet isn't neutered...

We've got the Silver at the moment at £5.24 per month for a 6mth Border Collie...

http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/

You can insure him now... Most will cover from 8 weeks or so...
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member

Put the money you would pay each month into an high interest account, if and when needed use that.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    im with pet plan paying about 13 a month but thats got the full cover, some of the cheaper options only cover illness for 1 year, a previous dog we had was diagnosed with epilepsy had no insurance on him but if we did then the insurance we have for our current dog would have paid out for years rather than just 1 year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ladydragon wrote: »
    Ours are with Healthy Pets... From £2.76 per month with a £50 excess on the Bronze plan which rises up to Silver and then Gold Plans with extra benefits... Slight increase in premiums if pet isn't neutered...

We've got the Silver at the moment at £5.24 per month for a 6mth Border Collie...

Are you sure that's the price you are paying? I thought it was very cheap, so have just done an online quote with them, and they give £12.11 for my dog for the minimum Bronze cover, which is about the same as I am paying at present with Tesco. I only checked because my premium has gone up steadily each year, started off at about £7.50 when I first took it out. This year they wanted something like £15 so I increased the excess to reduce the premiums a bit.

Read the small print too, if you go with Tesco anyway. They only pay out for the same condition for a maximum of 12 months, after that you can never claim again for a recurrence. I wish I'd gone elsewhere when I insured her, but too late now. The cheapest isn't always the best cover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Lucky you having a beagle puppy. My mum used to breed them and I would do anything to have kept at least one. :) There are a lot of good insurers out there, but when I wanted an insurer for my animals (I have a dog and a cat), I went onto www.moneysupermarket.com and they can give you a comprehensive list from which you can choose, depending on what you want.
  • katyb0408katyb0408 Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put the money you would pay each month into an high interest account, if and when needed use that.

its not just vet bills that insurance covers. its is often up to £1million pounds third party payments and legal expenses. if your dog runs in front of a car or knocks into someone and they hurt themselves then they can sue you.

i shouldnt think many of us could afford to put that much in a savings account.

with dogs especially it is vital to have insurance
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Pet Plan for our 5 cats - really glad of it too as one of ours has a recurring condition that needs steroid injections every 6 weeks at £32 a pop that can add up over the year - he'll need these for the rest of his life so the fact that Pet Plan pay out for the lifetime rather than just a year is the reason we went with them in the first place - they may cost a little more than other insurance plans but we'd have been severely out of pocket by now if we'd have insured with anyone else that doesn't cover the illness for life.

I've just claimed for last year and got £112 back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puffle wrote: »
    I'm with Pet Plan for our 5 cats - really glad of it too as one of ours has a recurring condition that needs steroid injections every 6 weeks at £32 a pop that can add up over the year - he'll need these for the rest of his life so the fact that Pet Plan pay out for the lifetime rather than just a year is the reason we went with them in the first place - they may cost a little more than other insurance plans but we'd have been severely out of pocket by now if we'd have insured with anyone else that doesn't cover the illness for life.

I've just claimed for last year and got £112 back.

I'll second pet plan. Go for the 'for life' cover if you can possibly afford it. A bit more expensive than usual, but I'd rather pay another £5 a month for peace of mind that if one of my cats should get an ongoing illness, I don't have to to find the £100's and £100's that I need to cover the treatments. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ladydragon wrote: »

ive just made a quote with these and its only £12.56 for my 2 dogs and my cat, but i did notice it only covers for upto a £1000 each illness.
    have you made any claims with these if you have how was they?
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    But say if somthing happens in a couple of monthe time and you've only got £20 in the account?????????
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're with Siansburys for our two and they are very reasonable and good too. M&S is supposed to be excellent too but expensive? Stay away from E&L - absolute rubbish imo and several others I have spoken to!

Just make sure you have lifetime cover and the illnesses are covered for the entire illness not just the first year.
  • J105J105 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got insurance for Bella my 11 week old springer spaniel from argos.
    It's £10.44 a month and is the platinum cover so no limits on claiming on anything.
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    But say if somthing happens in a couple of monthe time and you've only got £20 in the account?????????

Put the animal down.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I'll second pet plan. Go for the 'for life' cover if you can possibly afford it. A bit more expensive than usual, but I'd rather pay another £5 a month for peace of mind that if one of my cats should get an ongoing illness, I don't have to to find the £100's and £100's that I need to cover the treatments. :)

I'm looking around for insurance for my mothers dong - will be 1 next week.....with the "for life cover" does it mean that you have to renew with the same company each year and does the premium go up or stay the same...ive just check one website and cant make head or tail. Info much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    I'm looking around for insurance for my mothers dong - will be 1 next week.....with the "for life cover" does it mean that you have to renew with the same company each year and does the premium go up or stay the same...ive just check one website and cant make head or tail. Info much appreciated.

Your mother must be a very er interesting woman!! :eek: :D
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »

er Yes and Yes really.

Of course you have to renew with the same insurance co to get the life cover year on year - unless you find another insurance co who offer the same and who are willing to take your pet on a life cover basis - as animals get older insurance co's are less willing to offer this option.

Also, Yes - your premium will go up pretty much every year - might just be a few pence or more depending on whether you've used the insurance or not. As the animal gets older the premiums go up because they consider you're more likely to use the insurance for an older pet.

hope this helps
  • LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    We use Virgin for our Dog and our Cat, about £14 /month for dog and £9 month for cat. We dont think it's expensive considering they are covered for upto £6000 worth of treatment per illness, whereas other insurers may only give you a limit of maybe £3000.

And its lifetime cover aswell. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I also used Healthy Pets for my elderly dog Simon who recently passed away they were very reasonable even for older dogs (sometimes most places charge a lot for insurance once your dog passes 7 years old). What I would say is thou - please if you can pay for the insurance upfront rather than direct debit like I did as Simon passed in the first month of his new year's policy with Healthy Pets and even though I put in a claim for over £300 for all the treatment he'd had, I got £2.76 back because the insurance took 11 months insurance charges as I was paying d/debit. Wouldn't want anyone else to go through this hassle and much as I don't want to sound morbid, best to have them pay you money than you lose out should you need to claim, enjoy your new puppy!