Cannot delete file due to long path name

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Copying stuff over to my external for back up in windows 8 and i got a message the filename is too long, try shortening the name etc. Done that and copied the file again but now i cannot delete the old long one, unlocker fails to delete it, normal deletion won't work.

The external is 3TB but XP which i'm now back to using will most certainly not show up all the the drive if i plug it back in on this OS and maybe not the file i want to get rid of.

There is a program called long Path Tool but i'm not paying $18 to buy it, any other solutions to get rid of the awkward file?

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Try shortening the folder name first.
  • stargazer600stargazer600 Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Had similar issues my self when deleting files that wont go, try logging in to safe mode by pressing F8 on boot and then you might be able to delete the file normally to the recycle bin or shift and delete to bypass it. If that still does not work try renaming it 1st while in safe mode and then retry deleting it. Hope that helps a little
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another point is that the recycle bin might not like it. So, right click on the desktop bin, and change the properties so that deleted files are just deleted instead of being binned. That might get rid of it. Then of course change the bin back to normal.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Copying stuff over to my external for back up in windows 8 and i got a message the filename is too long, try shortening the name etc. Done that and copied the file again but now i cannot delete the old long one, unlocker fails to delete it, normal deletion won't work.

The external is 3TB but XP which i'm now back to using will most certainly not show up all the the drive if i plug it back in on this OS and maybe not the file i want to get rid of.

As above. Shorten the name of the folder the offending file is in to 1 or 2 letters, delete the offending file, change the folder name back again.

You may also be able to cut and paste the folder containing the offending file into the root directory (D:\ etc., whatever your drive is called) which should shorten the path, then you can delete the offending file or rename it.

To check for any other offending long path names on your system, get the free Old Path Scanner from here:

http://www.parhelia-tools.com/products/pathscanner/PathScanner.aspx (scroll to the bottom)

It works a treat. In future, make sure you keep total path lengths to well under 255 characters long because when you copy a folder tree to your backup drive, you tend to make it even longer especially if you use meaningful folder names.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try the folder thing but trying to shorten the actual file is a no no and it will not let me change it in anyway. I'll also try the scanner as well, prob be to morrow now as it's getting late and i'll let you know if it worked or not.
  • ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, run a disk check in case any corruption may be involved.