laptop passwrd

wife's laptop won't accept her password and as she set it up then she cannot update things, as it ask for her password but wont recognise it
windows 7
using a Toshiba satellite C855
anyone help me

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caps lock?

Similar characters?
    o O 0
    i I 1 l L
    etc
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glagys wrote: »
    wife's laptop won't accept her password and as she set it up then she cannot update things, as it ask for her password but wont recognise it
    windows 7
    using a Toshiba satellite C855
    anyone help me

Have you got more than one account? Is your wife setup as a standard user and you are seeing a UAC prompt asking for an Administrator account password?
  • glagysglagys Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Shes set it up as her as administor so when updates for adobe etc. they require her password to continue but it won't accept it or allow me to try and change it she can still use it as a guest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shes set it up as her as administor so when updates for adobe etc. they require her password to continue but it won't accept it or allow me to try and change it she can still use it as a guest

If you are going to change the UAC security settings then you need to remember your password!

There are password reset utilities, but it's hard to find one not full of malware.
    Forum Member
    She has remembered her password it's just that it won't recognise it it was working fine then one day it just said it was wrong, cannot do system restore as it needs the administrator's password to start, so back to square 1 :-(
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can log onto the computer with Administrator privileges (either as the Administrator account or your own if it is also an Administrator) then you can change her password.

See

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/change-another-users-password-windows-7.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has remembered her password it's just that it won't recognise it it was working fine then one day it just said it was wrong, cannot do system restore as it needs the administrator's password to start, so back to square 1 :-(

Passwords don't change by themselves. I know it's been said before, but have you tried it with the caps lock on? Also play with Num lock if the password has numbers in it.

You can't change passwords using System Restore anyway.
    Forum Member
    tried all that even
    gives her a password prompt but it still wont accept it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tried all that even
    gives her a password prompt but it still wont accept it

Is it showing the right user name?
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you've got a virus which has changed the password, this is almost certainly a matter of forgetting the precise characters of the password.

If the password contains any characters which could be confused with other characters, have you tried all the permutations? For example:

All upper case, all lower case, initial letter upper case and the others lower case, or some other combination

Whether or not there are any spaces or other punctuation characters

letter o (oh), capital letter O (oh) and digit 0 (zero)

letter i (eye), capital letter I (eye), letter l (el), capital letter L (el), digit 1 (one) and digit 7 (seven)

letter s (ess) and digit 5 (five)

letter z (zed) and digit 2 (two)

letter g (gee) and digit 9 (nine)

letter b (bee) and digit 6 (six)
    Forum Member
    yep right user name
    prompts for the password and we know that to be correct
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Just a long shot, but maybe a keyboard problem.

Are all the keystrokes registering?

Open a word doc or similar and type the password. Check the characters are exactly the ones you expect to see?
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    When turning the PC on keep pressing F8 you should hopefully get a screen come up with a few startup option on it.

If you select either Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking are you able get into the PC using your password there?
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Booting into the Administrator account in Windows 7 should allow you to reset the password for other users, but first you will need to enable the account:

http://www.lostwindowspassword.com/enable-windows-7-default-administrator-account.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Booting into the Administrator account in Windows 7 should allow you to reset the password for other users, but first you will need to enable the account:

http://www.lostwindowspassword.com/enable-windows-7-default-administrator-account.html

Yes, but you need another administrative account to do it! Otherwise anyone could get access to a PC and change someone else's password.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't burning one of the numerous boot CD's such as Hiren's or UBCD which have utilities to reset passwords help?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote:
    Open a word doc or similar and type the password. Check the characters are exactly the ones you expect to see?
    Would also suggest this. Check the num lock in particular is turned off as this will play havoc on a laptop keyboard.

If you still cant get anywhere then Hirens Boot CD will allow you to reset the password.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Yes, but you need another administrative account to do it! Otherwise anyone could get access to a PC and change someone else's password.

But as we still don't know what the actual problem is, enabling the Admin account via the Safe Mode command line might work and provide a relatively quick and easy solution. Failing that, as the others have said, it's time for a password reset disk (assuming that it's not just a numlock issue, which it usually is with laptops).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    But as we still don't know what the actual problem is, enabling the Admin account via the Safe Mode command line might work and provide a relatively quick and easy solution. Failing that, as the others have said, it's time for a password reset disk (assuming that it's not just a numlock issue, which it usually is with laptops).

You haven't read the link you posted. You run Safe mode command prompt and then enter administrative credentials before you can enable the built in Administrator account.

Yes, you can use a password reset from Hirens boot CD, but it's tough finding a version that's not full of malware.
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Password resetting utilities such as Trinity Rescue or Offline nt password & registry editor
    http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd booted off cd or usb will help you get back into your laptop.
    They are highly regarded long established utilities and do not have malware and are free.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henm2 wrote: »
    Password resetting utilities such as Trinity Rescue or Offline nt password & registry editor
    http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd booted off cd or usb will help you get back into your laptop.
    They are highly regarded long established utilities and do not have malware and are free.
    I remember reading in a PC Advisor magazine that such utilities have a risk of corrupting your user account. :(
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be doing with all this password nonsense. If you need a password, its can only be for one of two reasons -

1. you have something to hide from family etc eg pr0n
    2. you can't trust the people in your house to keep their grubby hands off your possessions

the answer is to sort your life out. A password won't stop a thief from reselling your laptop (after reading all your personal stuff) or protect you from online fraud. All passwords can do is cause trouble (like the OP is having). Its pathetic. If you really need to personalize your machine, put your cat as desktop background.

FYI - the well respected seven forums has a ban on password threads, just in case the poster ain't the actual owner . . .
  • TrueCardTrueCard Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I can't be doing with all this password nonsense. If you need a password, its can only be for one of two reasons -

2. you can't trust the people in your house to keep their grubby hands off your possessions

It can be a good idea to set a password anyway to stop someone else doing it as a prank, it can also protect the passworded account from malware, otherwise I agree.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the answer is to sort your life out. A password won't stop a thief from reselling your laptop (after reading all your personal stuff) or protect you from online fraud. All passwords can do is cause trouble (like the OP is having). Its pathetic. If you really need to personalize your machine, put your cat as desktop background.

FYI - the well respected seven forums has a ban on password threads, just in case the poster ain't the actual owner . . .
    Has DS ever had a ban on password threads before? :confused:
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Must troll harder.