Everybody Loves Raymond

Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
Forum Member
I had heard of the series years ago, but only now watching it!! Great to see it on Channel 4 and Comedy Central. Very good comedy! Well know actors including Peter Boyle and Robert Culp. Anyone else watching it?:)

Comments

• fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's one of my favourites.

Doris Roberts is wonderful as Marie - another favourite character of mine is Pat MacDougall.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    It was a great show. Marie was always the star for me.

I loved how an entire episode would focus on something as mundane as a tin opener! And it was still entertaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    utter garbage.embarrasingly unfunny,like most modern american sitcoms.its as bad as friends.what went wrong with u.s.. comedies? they made the likes of sgt. bilko,addams family and get smart but nowadays churn out the most godawful trash on the planet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I didn't like this much but was strangely addicted to it when Channel 4 first started airing it as part of their breakfast line-up. :o
  • ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love everybody loves Raymond. I've seen every episode at least twice and it still makes me laugh. I was gutted when it finished.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not Everybody Loves Raymond. :)
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chzza wrote: »
    I love everybody loves Raymond. I've seen every episode at least twice and it still makes me laugh. I was gutted when it finished.

I love it too.

I was trying to think of my favourite episode - the one where Warren brings his new 'girlfriend' for dinner is a particular favourite of mine.

Oh and 'The Angry Family' where they all end up talking to Father Hubbly and a counsellor.

Oh and the one where one of the twins is behind in school.

Here's Michael's................and here's Geoffrey's.

:)
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    The thing I find with this show is that its only funny the first time you see it, unlike most other sitcoms which can still make me laugh on second, third etc. viewings.

I think the only particuarly funny characters are Frank and especially Marie as well.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank made the show for me!! I never liked Robert - there was always something disturbing about him
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this show and also King of Queens
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    One of the funniest shows on the box for me. And the really interesting thing about it is what a cruel show it can be which separates it from a lot of American sitcoms. Ray, Marie and Frank are all pretty repellent characters. Apparently Jerry Seinfeld was a big fan. I'm not surprised. The faux pas has to be the best episode. Ricky Gervais would be proud of some of the lines from that one. Oh and Debra is ridiculously hot.
  • ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Frank made the show for me!! I never liked Robert - there was always something disturbing about him

I think Robert is brilliant he just makes me laugh
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the funniest shows on the box for me. And the really interesting thing about it is what a cruel show it can be which separates it from a lot of American sitcoms. Ray, Marie and Frank are all pretty repellent characters. Apparently Jerry Seinfeld was a big fan. I'm not surprised. The faux pas has to be the best episode. Ricky Gervais would be proud of some of the lines from that one. Oh and Debra is ridiculously hot.

Yes, very true, Raymond IS unlikeable, self-centered, cowardly and a big Mamma's boy.

But it's a standard, 3 set, studio bound, live studio audience sit-com that the Yanks do so well.

What the lovely, saintly Debra sees in him is a bloody mystery. The best episodes are when she gets one over on him or his ghastly mother
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Anyone with a mother who played "favourites" with their children will understand this show, even if it can be painful to watch.
    Although Ray was too whiny, making him unlikeable at times, which also added to the depth of the writing. He was like that due to his Mother's actions.

The best sitcoms have what Richard Briers called (about The Good Life) "quiet moments", where there are no laughs.

Roseanne also portrayed family life warts & all, especially middle child Darlene continually missing out on treats showered on the eldest and youngest children.
  • Frunchy2904Frunchy2904 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Having got Italian in laws this show rings so true, even my husband cringes sometimes due to the similarities. Especially with Marie always saying she's the best cook, I have that ringing in my ears all the time when we go round there, and yes I can cook just obviously not 'like mama used to make'!!
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Frank is my favourite character.

I love the episode where he and Ray are playing table tennis in the basement. Also the one where Frank starts writing magazine articles.

There are lots of good Robert episodes too. The one where he starts acting black is very, very funny.
  • KuririnKuririn Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Brilliant show :D

Up there with Frasier as probably my favourite sitcom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I love this show. I hate Debra though :mad:
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this show. I hate Debra though :mad:
    I quite fancied Debra!;)
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title is not ture though as i do not love raymond.!:D

Certainly nowhere near as good as Curb your Enthusiasm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great show. watchable over and over again for me like friends.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the rivalry between Robert and Ray, I like the episode 'Somebody Hates Raymond', this highlighted how much jealousy there was between them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    And the really interesting thing about it is what a cruel show it can be which separates it from a lot of American sitcoms. Ray, Marie and Frank are all pretty repellent characters.

I think that is what makes the show work. Essentially, it's all about the worst personality traits that each character has. Quite a unique style of sitcom.
  • satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Romano is still the highest paid sitcom star of all time because of this show $1.8m per episode, in fact he got paid so much some of the cast walked out until they got better deals!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I went through the stage of watching it a few years back. I'm currently enjoying one of channel 4's other american import 'According to Jim'.

People do criticize C4's morning line up but I enjoy waking up to the things they show. If they shuffle the slot the programmes are shown in every so often then i'll keep watching. When I used to watch Raymond it was in the 7:30am slot, which is now occupied by According to Jim. By doing that they've kept me tuning in.