Anti virus

What's the best free anti virus please

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    there's really no one answer to that.

it depends on what your criteria are. and even if you want the best detection rates if your av doesn't detect you virus it counts for naught.

but i am using Microsoft Security Essentials. I like it because it doesn't use many resources and is fairly unobtrusive.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I hear AVG Free is very good. On my Macs I use Sophos for Mac but on my W7 partition I use AVG.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just reading a review in Web User mag that concluded that Avast was the best of the free ones at the mo.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear AVG Free is very good. On my Macs I use Sophos for Mac but on my W7 partition I use AVG.

I have AVG on the laptop. I did have McAfee, but got rid of it because it doesn't exactly have a good reputation.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is no best anti-virus ... AVG was recommended a few years back but not so much now .... if a home user & going for freebie ones do a bit of research as some freebies are more stripped out than others & some perform badly depending on computers configuration.
    After going through avg then avast over last 5 years I've now got comodo internet security premium (free) & malwarebytes (paid version bought @ discounted price) and all is well .... I'll stick with this until time comes it makes things run a bit slow BUT a few years down line it hasn't ;)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

Yup, what i use :)
  • DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avg is the ive used for past 5 yrs and ive never had a problem
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every anti virus goes up and down on the ratings as if it gets too popular it becomes a hit for day zero exploits so really just pick one that does ok and suits how you like to work and job done
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like religion - the best one is the one you believe in. Seriously: the main free contenders have all been mentioned - pick one and have faith.

(I use Avast and I've had no problems. Before that I used MSE and had no problems and before that I used AVG and had no problems. I guess I'm some sort of agnostic.)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to use Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop but it's not compatible with Windows 8.
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I was going to use Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop but it's not compatible with Windows 8.

Windows 8 has it built in.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it about time there was a sticky for this question?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it about time there was a sticky for this question?
    Probably, but the answer changes from year to year. For example, AVG was good, then terrible, then not too bad.

The best advice would be 'Google the latest reviews'.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Probably, but the answer changes from year to year.

I had in mind that the sticky would redirect users to an existing thread rather than create a new one.
    The best advice would be 'Google the latest reviews'.

Or that! :)

Though, in my experience the likes of Symantec and McAfee would typically get rave reviews from the mainstream reviewers but be slagged off in forums such as this one. :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While stuff like mcaffee is no where near as bad as it was its still too much for a lot of home users, its main lovers come in the corporate field where easy deployment,central management, hotline support and other goodies are as important as the price and performance

Read the reviews and do some leg work as at some point in time every AV product will be the best in some reviews due to how they do their reviews as some may put more weight on memory footprints or the total number of things detected etc
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    While stuff like mcaffee is no where near as bad as it was its still too much for a lot of home users, its main lovers come in the corporate field where easy deployment,central management, hotline support and other goodies are as important as the price and performance

My university network uses McAfee AntiVirus and the computers are slower than a slug doing the London marathon. They're running Windows 7 on 2GB RAM and that plus all the other junk they put on it renders the computers absolutely useless for anything more than basic web surfing. Most people (me included) just bring their own laptops in instead of using the university-provided PCs.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My university network uses McAfee AntiVirus and the computers are slower than a slug doing the London marathon. They're running Windows 7 on 2GB RAM and that plus all the other junk they put on it renders the computers absolutely useless for anything more than basic web surfing. Most people (me included) just bring their own laptops in instead of using the university-provided PCs.

Just because its running Win7 and has 2gb mem, doesnt mean its McAfee thats making them run slow.

Youre uni may have just loaded win7 onto old hardware, with slow processors, and old memory, and even the graphics could affect performance.

Just dont jump to conclusions.
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Just because its running Win7 and has 2gb mem, doesnt mean its McAfee thats making them run slow.

Youre uni may have just loaded win7 onto old hardware, with slow processors, and old memory, and even the graphics could affect performance.

Just dont jump to conclusions.

They're actually brand new computers. They're advertised as being capable to run the dreaded Vista (the sticker on the front says Vista Basic) but they put Windows 7 on because Vista is rubbish. They also have Novell login software and various other startup items. Strange thing is that the computers are locked down.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AVG Free is absolutely fine. The only thing you have to watch out for is that they make it very easy to click on an uprated trial version by 'mistake'. Also watch out for the little tick boxes to make sure you don't allow an unwanted search toolbar to be installed or settings changed for your home page.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're actually brand new computers. They're advertised as being capable to run the dreaded Vista (the sticker on the front says Vista Basic) but they put Windows 7 on because Vista is rubbish. They also have Novell login software and various other startup items. Strange thing is that the computers are locked down.

Will you ever become educated and stop this vista trolling?

I hate OSX but i dont say it in every OSX thread!
    Forum Member
    Will you ever become educated and stop this vista trolling?

I hate OSX but i dont say it in every OSX thread!

I'm not trolling, it's my actual opinion of Vista! Vista is banned in our house. In fact my dad came up with the idea of a Vista exorcism kit - a photo of Steve Jobs, a hammer and a bottle of holy water :D
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials mainly but have AVG on a couple of the home network computers. They are all pretty good, certainly Avast, MSE and AVG and results as to which is best vary according to which survey you read. I'd be happy with any of those to be honest.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'm not trolling, it's my actual opinion of Vista! Vista is banned in our house. In fact my dad came up with the idea of a Vista exorcism kit - a photo of Steve Jobs, a hammer and a bottle of holy water :D

It becomes trolling when you mention it over and over again.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never quite understand using MSE to fix the holes that Microsoft has not fixed.
    :confused:

Avira and AVG usually come out best but check the latest stats from that link.