Freeview HD query

Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
Forum Member
✭✭
Wasn't there meant to be a 5th freeview HD channel in the pipeline. If I remember interested Five weren't interested.

Comments

• tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossby41 wrote: »
    Wasn't there meant to be a 5th freeview HD channel in the pipeline. If I remember interested Five weren't interested.

I believe there may be as many as 10 freeview HD channel coming in 2014.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Rossby41 wrote: »

It's currently being used by "BBC RB 303 HD".
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    It's currently being used by "BBC RB 303 HD".

Only till 8th July.
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five do not appear interested and the BBC has tried to sell the space for the HD channel 3 times with no buyer, some on here infer this is because the costs of the channel transmitters make it too expensive.

The extra HD channels by 2014 (to be temporary, .and designed to encourage HD receiver buying)
    are a idea promoted by ITV,BBC and Ofcom..
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    are a idea promoted by ITV,BBC and Ofcom..

NOT ITV ... Ch4 and the BBC and Arqiva
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NOT ITV ... Ch4 and the BBC and Arqiva

Your right:o It should of been CH4 and yes Arqiva is involved but it also needs Ofcom to agree.

​Two new Freeview multiplexes that could add up to 30 new TV channels are up for grabs with a starting price of £180,000 a year.

The new services would carry up to 10 high definition TV channels or 30 standard-definition signals to more than half of UK homes.

They’re being offered as part of Ofcom’s plan to make Freeview more efficient before it hands

http://recombu.com/digital/news/the-future-of-freeview_M11084.html
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    The new services would carry up to 10 high definition TV channels or 30 standard-definition signals to more than half of UK homes.

So making Freeview a three tier system - even worse than the existing two tier system :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So making Freeview a three tier system - even worse than the existing two tier system :cry:

Three tier how?

And there is nothing wrong with the present system either:)
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah where is this third tier? Existing HD boxes will see the new HD muxes.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really?
    Bad enough having locations right now that can only get half the channels - and most of the new stuff that launches is not on this core service either. With some parts getting even more channels than the current full freeview service - well lets just confuse people even more than they already are!

Please, will some tory strip down freeview to just 3 national DVB-T2 multiplexes - you should be able to sell off the 700Mhz band as well by doing that, and get people to buy new HD TV's and boxes. One nice simple system.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Three tier how?

The proposed new HD multiplex is only going to be available on a smaller number of transmitters, not even the small number that currently have the full six multiplexes.

And there is nothing wrong with the present system either:)

Depends where you live :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    really?
    Bad enough having locations right now that can only get half the channels - and most of the new stuff that launches is not on this core service either. With some parts getting even more channels than the current full freeview service - well lets just confuse people even more than they already are!
    What's confusing.

You get what you get. That is how it's always been.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new muxes are going to be low power too, which will probably make the channels prone to the sort of break up I had pre DSO. :rolleyes:
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the UK the government determined that PSB DTT should have coverage broadly comparable with ATT - and got a system which actually give slightly more coverage -
    and this is about 4% population coverage MORE than DSAT ....
    But the COM broadcasters could not afford the Transmission costs so only about 3% population LESS than DSAT can receive COM DTT .

Although it is very unfortunate for those few % of people who want COM DTT they are getting far more on DTT than they even got on ATT
    ... and most have a DSAT option.

The 600Mhz Muxes are there to drive DTT HD uptake and enables the two publicly owned broadcasters
    (interesting that - the commercially owned (PSB) broadcaster has different views)
    to deliver HD services to 60 to 70% DTT viewers.... (and thus likely the DSAT as well) ...

With the aim of driving adoption so that there is a T2 changeover which will give 100% of their (main) channels in HD
    to 98.5+% of UK population on DTT- which is about 6/7ths of all UK TV sets

seems very sensible!!!

Although I think the society equalisation that universality can give is a welcome trend
    - the demand from everyone for universality of service in media is a strange trend
    - as none of the other services are as universal! (think mains drainage!) ...
  • LinearCandidateLinearCandidate Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    The new muxes are going to be low power too, which will probably make the channels prone to the sort of break up I had pre DSO. :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't be so sure of that seeing as DVB-T2 is much more robust than DVB-T, even at low power! ;)