3D films thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
Forum Member
What 3D films have you seen, what you planning to see?

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard nothing but good about Life of Pi in 3D.

Looking forward to Hugo 3D on Sky at Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Yeah I just posted the listing for SKY 3D on my 3d facebook page, some good films being shown
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_Young wrote: »
    Yeah I just posted the listing for SKY 3D on my 3d facebook page, some good films being shown

Sky 3D is a terrible disappointment: films I've already seen, pay-per-view for anything new, boring documentaries on an endless loop.
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Sky 3D is a terrible disappointment: films I've already seen, pay-per-view for anything new, boring documentaries on an endless loop.

How much does it set you back to get the 3D channel
    Forum Member
    Star Trek Into Darkness trailer released

Paramount Pictures has released the first trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to J.J. Abrams’ 2009 hit Star Trek reboot.
    Earlier this month the plot synopsis was also released

https://www.facebook.com/films3d
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting Avatar on 3D?
    Many thanks.
    Forum Member
    Great Dane wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting Avatar on 3D?
    Many thanks.

The reviews for the 3d blu ray seem pretty good, you can read the reviews at play.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    The reviews for the 3d blu ray seem pretty good, you can read the reviews at play.com

Thanks for that, will go and check it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much does it set you back to get the 3D channel

Nothing if you subscribe to HD etc. You're not missing much if you don't get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing if you subscribe to HD etc. You're not missing much if you don't get it.

If you're prepared to wait for about twelve months after a 3D film has been released in the cinema, you'll get it on Sky 3D.

If you can't wait that long, it'll be on PPV a few months earlier.

I don't go to the cinema, or have a blu-ray, so the 'free' 3D channel is well worth it. I don't bother with PPV, because I'm prepared to wait a couple of months longer.

I already had the full Sky package with HD, so it doesn't cost a penny extra.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have to have the full sky world package (basically everything) to get the 3D channel for "free"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to have the full sky world package (basically everything) to get the 3D channel for "free"

Don't remind me. I've been considering dumping Sky for a while now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a 3D telly from Sainsburys (£199) a few months back so I'm kind of hoping they have the odd free weekend here and there - they've done one once before.

I don't generally go for 3D films because the extra cost at the cinema really doesn't justify it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a 3D telly from Sainsburys (£199) a few months back so I'm kind of hoping they have the odd free weekend here and there - they've done one once before.

I don't generally go for 3D films because the extra cost at the cinema really doesn't justify it for me.

Plenty of 3D stuff available by "other means".;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of 3D stuff available by "other means".;)

Oh you mean flying to the states, purchasing these films legally and flying back again ? *cough* ;)

I have indeed made such flights since I got my television ..

I watched the latest Spiderman film in 3D and was actually quite impressed - the city sequences worked really well. I also, unfortunately, watched "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" as well. Not only was it a crap film, the 3D was poor as well - too many cliched "object flying at the screen" shots for me,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's free tickets on Sky Rewards for a preview of Life of Pi 3D for next Tuesday, 11th.

Unfortunately, I'm travelling that day so can't make it.

As the regular price at the cinema is nearly nine quid a ticket, I'll wait for it to come on Sky 3D in a year's time!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get access to PPV content on Sky's 3D channel without having the full package but an HD subscription IS needed. So for those with a 3DTV and the Entertainment/extra pack with an HD sub can order PPV 3D content. A damn sight cheaper than a family day out to the cinema.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purely in terms of 3D the best lately are:
    Finding Nemo
    The Creature from the Black Lagoon
    Dark Country
    Hugo
    I, Robot
    The Avengers
    Despicable Me
    Tangled

My guilty 3D pleasure is "The Bubble" which is possibly the worst movie in history but on the big screen the Spacevision 3D is amazing. If it's available at all these days, it's probably only in a crappy anaglyph format.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    films we've seen in 3D.

Tin Tin
    Despicable Me
    Tangled
    Transformers - Dark of the Moon
    Ghost Rider - Spirit of Vengeance
    Megamind
    Disney - A christmas Carol
    Ice Age - Continental
    Paranorman
    Brave
    Scientists - Pirates
    Pirates - on stranger tides

*as you can see, most are animated*
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I think that Disney's A Christmas Carol was a great example of 3D at it's best just a pity it is not showing in 3D again this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I think that Disney's A Christmas Carol was a great example of 3D at it's best just a pity it is not showing in 3D again this year.

I agree. It was the first 3D film I saw!!! It was on Sky 3D last Christmas, just when we got our 3D TV.

One of the best. It's a shame the BBC aren't showing any of their films in 3D too. They're also showing How To Train Your Dragon and Alice in Wonderland, which have both been on Sky 3D in the last year.

Mind you, there's three film premieres on BBC Two over Christmas which aren't even being shown in HD!!
    Forum Member

I really don't know how you can say that In my opinion there is a lot of good stuff on Sky 3D for example the Attenborough documentaries have been outstanding in 3D and just one of many that have shown 3D at its best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I was quite surprised how well it worked so we went out and bought it and we've watched it quite a number of times since then and no doubt will watch it again. For me, 3D seems to be at it's best with animation/CGI
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    I agree. It was the first 3D film I saw!!! It was on Sky 3D last Christmas, just when we got our 3D TV.

One of the best. It's a shame the BBC aren't showing any of their films in 3D too. They're also showing How To Train Your Dragon and Alice in Wonderland, which have both been on Sky 3D in the last year.

Mind you, there's three film premieres on BBC Two over Christmas which aren't even being shown in HD!!

I have to say that I sometimes seriously doubt the BBC commitment to HD.

Yeah I was quite surprised how well it worked so we went out and bought it and we've watched it quite a number of times since then and no doubt will watch it again. For me, 3D seems to be at it's best with animation/CGI

Yes I think that animation was really made for 3D as most times it just looks awesome. How anyone can say that Sky 3D is boring I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I think that animation was really made for 3D as most times it just looks awesome. How anyone can say that Sky 3D is boring I don't know.

...and there's so much depth in Christmas Carol and not just the pop-out that non-3D viewers think it's all about.