Cats bald spot...

PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My cat has been washing himself above his tail so much he now has a bald spot, it doesn't look sore though. He has recently been to the vet's for his boosters and we pointed it out (it was ony half-bald then) and the vet didn't seem too concerned. He's been checked for fleas and is clear, we use Frontline Combo once a month. I googled it and it says he could be stressed. My cat? Stressed? Ha! He has the purrfect life. We live in a rural area so he can come and go as he likes, we don't have children or other pets to worry him and there are no other cats around. So what then?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this will help as it was my dog who also had a bald spot near his tail. He had allergic dermatitis. It used to flare up in the summer and we used to have to get a special spray from the vets along with antibiotics when he chewed it really badly. It may be something similar in your cat. We never knew what caused it, or what he was allergic to. However, some animals are just prone to it I believe. It also only started later in his life when he was about 8. We had no problems up to then.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    When one of my cats had a bald spot (hers was on her neck) the vet said as a one off not to worry but if it recurred it could be an allergy to her food

She had about three over a year period but now has t had any for a couple of years
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    my cat has the exact same problem in the exact same place and is in fact going to the vet this afternoon for her jab. Mine is allergic dust mites and food mites (we can't give her dry food), she tends to go to the vet quite regularly (every 3-4 months) for a jab. She has had the problem for years and was tested for allergies when we noticed she had licked all her fur off her belly. We also have some cream that we can put on her that helps it heal(although at the moment it doesn't seem to be working).
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies, I haven't a clue what Willow could be allergic to, he's 12 now and he's eaten the same dried food all his life, looks like a visit to the vet.:)
  • AngiekavAngiekav Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    My cat had a bald spot last year from grooming, although his was on his neck. I went to a farm store and got some antiseptic powder to put on and it cleared up in a week.
    Antiseptic powder is quite cheap, and useful for grazes / scratches too - worth a try before you spend loads at the vet.