Games trying to appeal to broader audiences

LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So, recently I have been playing tomb raider anniversary. I am a big fan of the TR games, and am eagerly looking forward to the new one. Something is bothering me though abou all these sequels slash prequels. Are they trying to appeal to a broader audience?
Hitman tried to appeal but sort of lost its core fans. I played the dead space demo and it didnt feel like a dead space game just a generic space shooter. Anyone else feel gaming has dumbed down to make profit slash popularity?

Comments

• starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Games cost millions to make nowadays as they are often on the same scale as movies. It's no wonder that they have to make a decent amount of money.

But if anything gaming is getting tighter and bigger, just look at a game like Mass Effect and it's scope, story and size.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else feel gaming has dumbed down to make profit slash popularity?

Regenerative health, check points ever 10seconds and save anywhere save systems are all to make games more accessible to a broader audience. Sadly this dumbs things down for the veteran gamers who grew up with brutally difficult games. CoD on veteran difficultly is a walk in the park compared to some of the older FPS games.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Regenerative health, check points ever 10seconds and save anywhere save systems are all to make games more accessible to a broader audience. Sadly this dumbs things down for the veteran gamers who grew up with brutally difficult games. CoD on veteran difficultly is a walk in the park compared to some of the older FPS games.
    I never understand why game makers dont give a greater range of difficulty options in games, or even give the player a choice as to whever they want instant save, checkpoint, or maybe even no saving for real hardcore gamers. (permadeath mode)
    I think its good to appeal to a wider audience, but the way, imo, shouldnt be to dumb down the whole game, but give a much greater range of difficulty and playing options.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »

Are you me?

Regenerative health, in particular, is one of my bugbears about 'modern gaming'. It's all become a bit too easy.

Although, it does appear to be coming full circle. 'Permadeath' is something appearing a bit more in games, slowly, (XCOM being a prime example), and I'm avidly watching how Bioshock Infinite's '1999 mode' is received. If it's done well it could well signal a return back, if only in part, to harder gaming for those who want it.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Permadeath certainly breathes life into older games.
    I'm about to dig out fallout 3 again, I love the game, but have played it to death so...this time, I'm turning all autosaves off except on fast travel(I have a PS3 and the game sometimes locks up) and not using instant save..see how far I can get. Very hard difficulty mode.
    I daresay Ill be using a lot more stealth than I usually do :)
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know the South Park episode with Lucas and Spielberg and Indiana Jones?

That's how i feel about Tomb Raider.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know the South Park episode with Lucas and Spielberg and Indiana Jones?

That's how i feel about Tomb Raider.

Hmmmm.. I don't agree. If any franchise needed new life and direction it's tomb raider, the last few games were getting really stale.

Personally it looks great, and I'll be picking it up.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Hmmmm.. I don't agree. If any franchise needed new life and direction it's tomb raider, the last few games were getting really stale.

Personally it looks great, and I'll be picking it up.

I've just been reading about the MP (MP in TR?) on DS, it physically pained me.

I'm glad i bought TR1-3 on gog.com, that's all the Tomb Raider I need.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowadays games seem to have a credits list longer than a Holywood cgi shitfest, so in a way I don't blame publishers and devs dumbing stuff down if the games are so expensive to make, although cutting down on marketing might help.

It's funny really, Skyrim was dumbed down compared to Oblivion and Morrowind, but that won universal praise and made blockbuster amounts of money. On the other hand, ME 3 was dumbed down in many ways, but the entire thing kind of back fired, and it remains to be seen if this will have any significant impact on future Bioware titles (probably not, gamers seem to have a short memory).

Mind you, Halo: CE had auto-save features and rechargable shields, but it was implemented in such a way that it didn't feel like I was being babied, plus it had some solid game mechanics to back it up elsewhere!
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Anyone else feel gaming has dumbed down to make profit slash popularity?

Broadly speaking, not any more than anything else. You're always going to get your cynical plays for the mainstream and you're always going to get your well-meaning missed points.

It's perhaps more obvious in games because there's simply less of them by comparison to other media and the press and industry do suffer from one-true-wayism a little bit, but I wouldn't say it's actually worse.