So.... Have we finished The Silents storyline?

kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is probably asked a lot and there's probably a thousand threads about it, but I'm too lazy to look properly.

Have we finished The Silence storyline? Is there more we haven't found out? Will we see them again? It just seems quite unfinished but I can't pick out why?

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    This is probably asked a lot and there's probably a thousand threads about it, but I'm too lazy to look properly.

Have we finished The Silence storyline? Is there more we haven't found out? Will we see them again? It just seems quite unfinished but I can't pick out why?

There are lots of plot hooks dangling as the aftermath of the Silence stories - who the aliens are, what the prophecy is all about and who tied it to the Doctor. Whether the Silence (or the Silents) themselves will feature prominently we don't know.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we finished The Silence storyline?

I hope so. Showed a bit of promise at first, but later on... WTF?! They should abandon the idea of inserting seasonal story arcs - there are too many different writers operating too independently, as per the usual BBC model. Each episode should be one or two parts and be stand-alone. They've tried to do it differently and IMHO they have failed. Silence, fail. Crack, fail. It worked once with Bad Wolf, now stop it before you confuse the sh** out of everyone completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Course not! Feels unfinished because silence hasn't fallen, yet. And silence will only fall when the question is answered. On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, where no being can speak falsely... "Doctor Who!?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    - there are too many different writers operating too independently, as per the usual BBC model.

I suspect you fail to understand Steven Moffat's role and RTD's before him.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not, it doesn't feel finished. I still think Kovarian is unfinished too, she's had no comeuppance.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not, it doesn't feel finished. I still think Kovarian is unfinished too, she's had no comeuppance.

I thought Amy finished off Kovarian in TWoRS?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In alternate timeline. As Amy says to her daughter, "I remember it, so it happened."
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    Course not! Feels unfinished because silence hasn't fallen, yet.
    Since the silence is the death of the Doctor, I hope not!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think not. I doubt we'll see them for a while, but I just know they'll suddenly appear out of nowhere, having found out the Doctor is alive.

I think, however, that the Silence story will be concluded during the Eleventh Doctor's final adventure.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would like to see the doctor and his freinds confront them. Kovarian is a great who villaness Commited some pretty henious crimes in S6. Needs to pay for that one way or another.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We still need to find out who took control of the Tardis in the Big Bang!
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect you fail to understand Steven Moffat's role and RTD's before him.

No need to be suspicious. I know what their roles were, which is when they start crowbarring things into other people's scripts, it leaves cracks round the edge. They build these common things into the story so that they can write a massive season finale, and I don't like massive season finales. WTF was all that Tardis exploding nonsense about? And then this mystical order of monks teaming up with clerical soldiery and a race of grey aliens to wipe out one man who travels across time? Time travel is supposed to be special.
    Please. Do me a favour and can that kind of rubbish. There's no need to out-explode, out-monster, out-mystify everything that's come before. Bigger is not always better.

EDIT.
    Pull2Open wrote: »

Yeah, just like a said, these things leave so many loose threads it's like a moth-eaten blanket.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we've finished it because The Silence are dull in my opinion :rolleyes:
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we've anything like finished it in the sense that all loose ends are tied up, but I simply don't trust Moffatt to tie up all the loose ends so I'd much rather the programme move on.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    No need to be suspicious. I know what their roles were, which is when they start crowbarring things into other people's scripts, it leaves cracks round the edge. They build these common things into the story so that they can write a massive season finale, and I don't like massive season finales. WTF was all that Tardis exploding nonsense about? And then this mystical order of monks teaming up with clerical soldiery and a race of grey aliens to wipe out one man who travels across time? Time travel is supposed to be special.
    Please. Do me a favour and can that kind of rubbish. There's no need to out-explode, out-monster, out-mystify everything that's come before. Bigger is not always better.

EDIT.

Yeah, just like a said, these things leave so many loose threads it's like a moth-eaten blanket.

^^^ This.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

We had a right old ding dong on the forum about whether this had been answered or not. In The Big Bang the Doctor told Amy that it was "another mystery for another day" or something. Then no more was ever said about it on screen (dont think). But Moffat , I think, rather expects us to put two and two together and conclude it was one of the Silents who did it by some unspecified and (as far as he is concerned) unimportant method. Why they did it and why they did it in the way they did it hasn't been explained, but is probably something Moffat believes we have all pieced together for ourselves. (my understanding of the plot is somewhat shaky and I'm open to being contradicted on these points).

The Silents are a bunch of incompetent nutjobs who appear to have lost all contact with reason and are prone to unpredictably insane action. This is what I concluded.

Some people are happy with the way it was done, others would have preferred a bit more explicit exposition from the Doctor or someone.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The who? dunno who you mean.. oh them... dunno who you mean :o
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    We had a right old ding dong on the forum about whether this had been answered or not. In The Big Bang the Doctor told Amy that it was "another mystery for another day" or something. Then no more was ever said about it on screen (dont think). But Moffat , I think, rather expects us to put two and two together and conclude it was one of the Silents who did it by some unspecified and (as far as he is concerned) unimportant method. Why they did it and why they did it in the way they did it hasn't been explained, but is probably something Moffat believes we have all pieced together for ourselves. (my understanding of the plot is somewhat shaky and I'm open to being contradicted on these points).

The Silents are a bunch of incompetent nutjobs who appear to have lost all contact with reason and are prone to unpredictably insane action. This is what I concluded.

Some people are happy with the way it was done, others would have preferred a bit more explicit exposition from the Doctor or someone.

Bit like the Lady in White then!
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit like the Lady in White then!

Rusty should have kept his gob shut about that one.

If it had been stated in TEOT that she was the Doctor's mother there would have been uproar...

...so what does he do? ...Goes and says that was the intention in an interview, causing unnecessary arguments in fandom about what was an utterly ridiculous notion!

Let's have a retcon and reveal it to have been Romana please!

Again, it shows what I believe to be the difference in MO between the two showrunners...
    Moffat's aim is to give what he can to the show,
    Davies' aim always seemed to me to be to put his own stamp on it.
    One approach is charity, the other is theft!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Rusty should have kept his gob shut about that one.

If it had been stated in TEOT that she was the Doctor's mother there would have been uproar...

...so what does he do? ...Goes and says that was the intention in an interview, causing unnecessary arguments in fandom about what was an utterly ridiculous notion!

Let's have a retcon and reveal it to have been Romana please!

Again, it shows what I believe to be the difference in MO between the two showrunners...
    Moffat's aim is to give what he can to the show,
    Davies' aim always seemed to me to be to put his own stamp on it.
    One approach is charity, the other is theft!

I agree actually.... though what hoked me off more was the COMPLETE waste of having Claire Bloom in it. Any person could have played what amounted to that pretentiously amibuous part. Why waste one of England's most repsected actors on it????????????????
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I actually read a good made up story about The Silent, which I doubt Moffat will use, where it stated the the leaders of The Silent Cult were siblings, split up and each operating in their own ways, Kovarian was tactics, planning and manipulation of armies.

Then there was one Younger Brother, who's more brute like, He had his own army made up of Mercs from planets he helped destroy, a ruthless thug with a first for power and is often looked down upon by the other two for his angry ways and how he's not bothered in the slightest about killing people, even those on his own team.

And then you had the older brother, who was more interesting, as he didn't exist in the universe or in time, he existed outside of it, looking in, using his power to break time (which lead into the cracks) and creating specific events to monitor The Doctor, events that he knew The Doctor would show up to, even noted that it was a failed attempt on his behalf to blow up the TARDIS by knocking it out of the time stream and setting it to self destruct. But he's also using his power to hide away something major.

Each sibling has a twisted vision of their fathers dream, to desire to control and direct time and events, tightly manage things, and they saw The Doctor as a constant mess up, someone who always ruined what they planned, he shouldn't exist, he was like them, but yet at the same time, stood for everything they were against. Which created a good dynamic on how each character saw The Doctor as a threat in different ways.

Anyway, blah blah blah, turned out their father was an exiled Time Lord, who originally wanted to destroy Gallifrey before the Time War happened, but because he was exiled he used that to his advantage to escape away from the planet as it was destroyed and he viewed The Doctor as the Time Lord who stole his ultimate dream, to burn the planet that exiled him, so he escaped, there was some back story about how he got crazy over the years, the time lords stripped away his regenerations, so a few hundred years later he eventually died but in that time created his children and started plans for a master race to rival that of the Time Lords, etc, etc, and each child took a different view on that, but they all worked together under The Silent Order and each ran a different approach to the situation, Kovarian was the first one to execute her plan to try and confront The Doctor.

It was quite good, but it got quite dark in some areas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member

Hopefully the eypepatch death actually killed her off. I mean talk about generic cartoon villian (looks like a female Dick Dastardly with an eyepatch). I was half expecting for her to get in a flying machine and repeatedly shout "Stop the Doctor!".

Unfortunately it does seem that Moffat wants to drag this overblown, cackhand arc over multiple seasons (even starting in Series 4 if you count Silence in the library/Forest of the dead as part of it due to River Song), tries to do too much and stretch it too far that it really just makes me wish it would tie it up more quickly, instead of having these bullsh*it ideas like "the prophecy" just to try and beat the dead horse in a vain attempt to make it more interesting.

Doesn't help thhat we now have another story arc with the Clara Oswin mystery, which will either have nothing to with the previous one, or if they do I'm pretty certain that The Moff will again just overblown it and make it unbelievable and anti-climatic like Season 6.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second that. :-) no clear explanation of the tardis exploding. Maybe get and answer in a few years time but the general public wont even remember this event. The whole ask the question fields of whatever .... Just makes me cringe.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There hasn't been enough follow through. Storylines get started but not finished and tangled up with yet more stuff. River being amy and rorys daughter,11 getting married and faking his death etc. Now we have a new companion clara with her own mystery and story to tell. Guess we just have to wait for 7.2
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think most of it has been resolved to be honest. The Silence aim was to stop the Doctor and they tried and failed to do that with River.

Right now, we have to see what's up with Clara.