Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »
    When do the semi finals start? I am looking forward too seeing Kirk again.;)

Regards

:)

Not long to wait now. Series finals start next week. You'll get your Kirk fix on Thursday 11 June.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Not long to wait now. Series finals start next week. You'll get your Kirk fix on Thursday 11 June.

Cool thanks for letting me know.

Regards

• Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Oldbod wrote: »
    According to

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1094532/Countdown-Rachel-Lamborghini-boyfriend-IQ-173.html

Rachel is not married and I am sure she has said so on the show at sometime
    Yes, Rachel definitely wasn’t married at the start, and has spoken about her boyfriend on the show, but I saw the ring only a couple of weeks ago.

I’m not sure when this series was filmed but we are about 3 weeks into the filming now and the show has probably already been on air at this point, meaning her boyfriend may have realised he’s going out with an upcoming TV star and decided to seal the deal.
    Me too! He is a legend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Rachel definitely wasn’t married at the start, and has spoken about her boyfriend on the show, but I saw the ring only a couple of weeks ago.

I’m not sure when this series was filmed but we are about 3 weeks into the filming now and the show has probably already been on air at this point, meaning her boyfriend may have realised he’s going out with an upcoming TV star and decided to seal the deal.

You could be right I will keep watching her wedding finger!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SylviaB wrote: »
    I was just watching Countdown and realise just how much better it is these days and both presenters are brilliant, especially the legendary Jeff! Rachel seems very sweet and has become used to being on TV and is now solving the numbers games with ease too.

The show had ceased to interest me with boring Des and Des also Carol Vorderman who had become too big for her boots and tried to take over after the lovely Richard had passed away!

I looked for the old thread but couldn't find it so started another to say how good Countdown now is! :cool:

I agreee that it seems to be a back to basics, back to being interseting not celebtrised! which is what i think the show should be about :o)
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some old news being recycled here
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1191413/What-CONundrum-Countdown-expert-Susie-Dent-fed-answers-producers.html

Frankly, I'm more interested in knowing what words are available than who who thought of them.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regards

Really? I couldn't bear him. So big-headed and pleased with himself. Okay, so he's clever.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    Really? I couldn't bear him. So big-headed and pleased with himself. Okay, so he's clever.

He is also very cute!!:D

Regards

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its so much NOT better these days that I can't bear to watch those two non personalities ruining a good show.
    I've tried a few times to watch it but have to switch off after a min.
    Forum Member
    Carman wrote: »

That really stretches the definition of "news" doesn't it?

Wasn't it Matthew Parris who 'blew the whistle' on the use of earpieces over a decade ago?

I think there's still a five year old audio interview on the BBC Oxford site during which Susie openly admits that Damian Eadie, the Series Producer, suggests words via the earpieces.

This just seems to be the latest of a succession of negative stories about the show (Ratings halved, Rachel can't do the sums etc). It's almost as if someone bears a grudge against the show.
    Forum Member
    Funny how opinions vary. Some people seem to hate it now, but I love both the new presenters.

Jeff is everything a Countdown host should be: enthusiactic, interested in the guests and the game, humble and gentle, extremely witty, in control, and he plays along and sometimes gets some good words to boot.

In a way, I almost prefer him to Ricahrd Whiteley — and bear in mind I never thought I would ever say that because I always regarded Richard as perfect and irreplacable.

As for Rachel, I wouldn’t say she was perfect (yet). Compared to Carol, she still seems extremely young and inexpereinced (just like Carol was at her age). The main problem is her delivery of jokes. She actually has a great sense of humour, but obviously she is not used to being on stage and getting an audience to warm to her (why would she be?) so when she has her bit of banter with Jeff, the gags are not delivered in a way that gets a rise out of the audience. I have every confidence that she will improve in this respect.

But what Rachel does have is three very important qualities for the job: crucially, she can do the sums just as well as Carol; she is beautiful; and she has a good deal of “wholesomeness” about her — a characteristic intrinsic to the show itself and something any Countdown presenter should have in my opinion. She fits in perfectly with Suzie, and I actually think the three of them are making a great team.

I have to admit I switched off when Des L and Des O came along. The former bored me to tears, and the latter just didn’t seem to have the enthusiasm and excitement in the game that a presenter should. I always loved Carol, and couldn’t believe she was leaving, but even I am happy with the change now.
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to Rachel as she put the letters on the board today, and it struck me who her voice reminds me of. It's Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle the first time that she was trying to practise her alphabet.
    Forum Member
    5 a day wrote: »
    I was listening to Rachel as she put the letters on the board today, and it struck me who her voice reminds me of. It's Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle the first time that she was trying to practise her alphabet.
    She sounds to me to do it just the same way Carol did. Presumably they both follow the same guidelines for pronunciation?
  • textyboytextyboy Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    That really stretches the definition of "news" doesn't it?

Wasn't it Matthew Parris who 'blew the whistle' on the use of earpieces over a decade ago?

I think there's still a five year old audio interview on the BBC Oxford site during which Susie openly admits that Damian Eadie, the Series Producer, suggests words via the earpieces.

This just seems to be the latest of a succession of negative stories about the show (Ratings halved, Rachel can't do the sums etc). It's almost as if someone bears a grudge against the show.

I agree. I wonder who might possibly have a grudge against the show? Nope, can't think of anyone... :rolleyes:
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    Some old news being recycled here
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1191413/What-CONundrum-Countdown-expert-Susie-Dent-fed-answers-producers.html

Frankly, I'm more interested in knowing what words are available than who who thought of them.

It's always been an open secret that there are ear-pieces in DC, and it's not only Damien that can suggest words - I believe anyone down to the cameraman can. The whole point of DC is not to be clever, but to show what words could have been found, for interest. They are not competing with anyone, as the whole show is a competition between the two contestants.
    However, as it is a 'brain' show, they categorically state that no computer system is used, and I think the fact that DC often do no better than the contestants underlines this.
    Forum Member
    I see Dictionary Corner like newsreaders. No one thinks newsreaders are “frauds” for getting their news from an autocue! That’s not to say Susie Dent is just a presenter, but I certainly don’t have a problem with there being more than two members of Dictionary Corner.

Personally, I like to know as many words as possible. I wouldn’t really mind if Dictionary Corner consulted a computer (although they should credit the computer when they do).

I think Kirk should become part of the team and a permanent Dictionary Corner consultant (either seen or unseen). They certainly wouldn’t need a computer with him on board!
  • abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The earpiece thing is ridiculous 'news'.

They all need to be told things like when to go to the break and how many seconds are left and when the camera is on them etc.

I don't see how they could run the show without them
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rachel is going onto a club after the show today, if her dress is any guide.
  • textyboytextyboy Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I'm not complaining...
    ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    Rachel looks stunning in that dress
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She looks like a super-heroine. I suggest 'The Countess' as her nom-de-plume.
  • ThebensterThebenster Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Today are my two favourite contestants in the comp :D
  • katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I hope Kirk wins tomorrow and then Jimmy Gough wins on Thursday a Kirk v Jimmy final would be great!! :D
    Forum Member
    Today’s episode (Wednesday’s) was possibly the best episode of Countdown I’ve ever seen. A fantastic battle of wits. Some great words. Some extremely funny moments. A great atmosphere in the studio. And two thoroughly likeable contestants. Well done to both of them!
    Forum Member
    Today’s episode (Wednesday’s) was possibly the best episode of Countdown I’ve ever seen.

How long have you been watching the show? I didn't think it was in the same class as some of the epics like the two Tournoff/Gallen clashes or Fell/Nash. Kirk didn't seem to be at his devastating best. Nerves?
This discussion has been closed.