BSkyB buys O2/BE Broadband and Fixed Line Business

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    If I object on moral grounds can I end my contract with Be* I will not pay any money to that crook Murdoch and his henchmen?

I used to think the same and would never get Sky HD with the sports package as it costs a whopping £55 pm or thereabouts.
    That was until the boys grew up, they share the cost one has moved out but watches on Sky Go.
    I'm paying the £2.50 premium for not having Sky TV even though we have it .... not great accounting but makes life easier.

I doubt moral grounds would be a good enough reason if your contract does not change.
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have got around 4 months left on my O2 deal and will more than likely move but will look at the fact in June as to what the best value, reliable deal is at that time.

To get the best discounts you normally have to sign up for at least 12 months but who do you trust ? Will anybody offer a opt out if you are not happy with the service like O2 did ? I very much doubt it :mad:
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been considering getting fibre for quite some time. With this news today, I've decided to make the switch pre-emptively. O2 broadband and phone were great while it lasted and the price and support were very good.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I've been considering getting fibre for quite some time. With this news today, I've decided to make the switch pre-emptively. O2 broadband and phone were great while it lasted and the price and support were very good.

Who are you switching to? You are aware Sky also offers fibre?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are you switching to? You are aware Sky also offers fibre?

Decided to go with BT Infinity - it's only recently become available in my street.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    BT Infinity is also well priced in relation to Sky Fibre, so there's no automatic reason to choose Sky Fibre on price grounds, unlike ADSL. There is though some overlap between their respective fibre offerings/prices.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    out of interest, what do you use for viewing TV?
    is it Freeview? if it is then you are already in Murdoch's pocket.

I also assume you don't watch any tv programs that originate from the Fox network?
    doesn't matter if you don't watch them though, as part of your licence fee goes towards buying the rights for those shows.

what's the air like up there on your high horse?
    must be pretty thin as you appearing to be delusional.
    You're missing the point. I'm not naïve enough to believe that Murdoch doesn't get some of my hard earned but I try to limit it where possible. My contract with BE* is 12 months in August. I will pay to buy out of the contract before that time. It's not a high horse I'm on but I will not fund crooks where I can possibly avoid it.
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking at Plus net £19 99 fibre anyone know what's its like you don't have to give them your phone line :)
    http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    out of interest, what do you use for viewing TV?
    is it Freeview? if it is then you are already in Murdoch's pocket.

I also assume you don't watch any tv programs that originate from the Fox network?
    doesn't matter if you don't watch them though, as part of your licence fee goes towards buying the rights for those shows.

what's the air like up there on your high horse?
    must be pretty thin as you appearing to be delusional.
    Paying the licence fee (needed to watch live TV) will give a small amount of money to Murdoch, because the BBC pays FOX for the rights to a number of TV shows.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm classing myself as screwed, I have staff discount and havent worked there for ages, cant see sky having any intentions towards gestures towards current or ex o2/be staff

i have 3 options:
    1. hang around, see what sky offers, treat it as 6-12 months before i need to decide
    2. jump ship to plusnet, take my landline from bt, mrs has been suggesting that for years anyway
    3. find a techie isp- zen or something, pay extra £10-15 a month
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to say this but I predicted that Telefonica was throwing in the towel the moment they refused O2s request for funding for a fibre product rollout. O2 were a bit taken aback by that IIRC but it seemed fairly indicative that Telefonica, which has severe cash problems, were going to concentrate on mobile / 4G and ditch the fixed line business. It was only a matter of time.

I jumped ship to BT Infinity.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say this but I predicted that Telefonica was throwing in the towel the moment they refused O2s request for funding for a fibre product rollout. O2 were a bit taken aback by that IIRC but it seemed fairly indicative that Telefonica, which has severe cash problems, were going to concentrate on mobile / 4G and ditch the fixed line business. It was only a matter of time.

I jumped ship to BT Infinity.

And it rocks. :D
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The merger may not go through, why are you expecting them to have the nitty gritty detailed when they've only just announced their intentions?

It has gone through the regulator has passed it. Oops sorry your right if it goes through just checked the BBC news page, :oI'm sure the deal will go through though.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    It has gone through the regulator has passed it.
    It usually takes much longer than a day to get regulatory approval for commercial acquisitions of this size.

Especially when the likes of BSkyB are involved!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    British Sky Broadcasting is buying the UK broadband and fixed line businesses of Spain's Telefonica.

It will give Sky half a million customers who use the O2 and BE brands for their home phone or broadband.

It will pay an initial £180m to Telefonica, with up to another £20m being paid once the customers have been switched to Sky.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21627614

It'll be interesting to see if they rebrand O2 and Be as Sky Broadband in due course. This purchase has put Sky in second place as a mass broadband provider and I assume it's a mixture of expansion, diversification and the ability to offer more bundled TV/phone/broadband packages that will help to retain customers who'll be tied in to Sky for all their services.

I certainly won't be changing to O2 and Be since I have no intention of supporting the megalomaniac Murdochs in their quest for media and telecoms domination.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see if they rebrand O2 and Be as Sky Broadband in due course. This purchase has put Sky in second place as a mass broadband provider and I assume it's a mixture of expansion, diversification and the ability to offer more bundled TV/phone/broadband packages that will help to retain customers who'll be tied in to Sky for all their services.

I certainly won't be changing to O2 and Be since I have no intention of supporting the megalomaniac Murdochs in their quest for media and telecoms domination.

They'll certainly have to rebrand O2 Broadband as O2 won't let them use their name after the sale completes! However Sky may have bought the BE brand as a whole.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look at it this way, News Corp own 39% of Sky and Murdoch owns 12% of News Corp so I think the UK is safe as far as the Murdoch's quest for telecoms domination goes. :)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    Look at it this way, News Corp own 39% of Sky and Murdoch owns 12% of News Corp so I think the UK is safe as far as the Murdoch's quest for telecoms domination goes. :)

However, given the smaller split shareholders, News Corp have de facto control of Sky and with Sky you get about 70% of the UK's pay television market plus a major TV news channel. In addition, News International has over a third of the UK's newspaper market. When combined with this latest acquisition, it is justifiably something to be concerned about.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise I could get Plusnet fibre, so they are an option after BE... only worry now is they are still traffic managed, where BT/Sky isn't. Also, slightly oddly Plusnet estimate my max speed at 80mps down, where Sky (presumably via the same equipment, the green FTTC box is about 20 yards away from my front door) estimate 40mps, ermm?
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    Didn't realise I could get Plusnet fibre, so they are an option after BE...
    only worry now is they are still traffic managed, where BT/Sky isn't.
    I'm told they (Plusnet) refer to it as "traffic prioritisation", and it's a bit fairer than all out traffic shaping and/or throttling.
    I'm sure anyone on this forum who's currently a Plusnet customer, can shed a bit more light on how it actually works.
  • cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll certainly have to rebrand O2 Broadband as O2 won't let them use their name after the sale completes! However Sky may have bought the BE brand as a whole.

They plan to migrate all customers onto standard sky packages so I am guessing they will simply knock the name on the head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    Didn't realise I could get Plusnet fibre, so they are an option after BE... only worry now is they are still traffic managed, where BT/Sky isn't. Also, slightly oddly Plusnet estimate my max speed at 80mps down, where Sky (presumably via the same equipment, the green FTTC box is about 20 yards away from my front door) estimate 40mps, ermm?

Sky will offer 80Mbit also but I heard they don't advertise it. You have to phone up to get it. Not sure if that's still true?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you do know that FTTC still uses that "antiquated, decades old, copper telephone" from the cabinet to your house?

streaming movies/tvs etc in HD seems to work quite well on my DSL connection, then again i do sync at 21Mbps.

This is the reason why a mate of mine is having a hard job deciding about going for FTTC. He is using Vivaciti on the Cable and wireless network and getting about 16Mb/s and it is stable, good pings which is important to him as he is a games player and does everything he wants it to do.

They got sky in the house, so he did think about going for Sky fibre, but he is worried that things would go belly up or go wrong or that he may not get a good enough ping. He have heard from some people who gone to FTTC that have a awful ping.

So at the moment he is staying put, and when gets his own place again he will decide what to do then.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    while i never used O2 broadband, I know someone who did and it was trash, but that was using the BT system and I was told it was much better on LLU, until they decided to traffic manage it all. the problem here is that we lose another competitor, another choice and the way it is going we will be down to about 3 large companies and a couple of smaller ones if they survive.

That is not good, you only have to look at what happened int he computer market with AMD/Intel, Nvidia/ATI and the hard drive market between Seagate and WD.

No competition so they can charge what they like and dump all sorts of rubbish on people. Just like Nvidia did when it rebranded their old graphics cards and did not tell people they was old ones.