Star Trek The Next Generation Blu Ray

RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
Forum Member
✭✭
Looks like the remastering of STTNG is going ahead and that a test BD disc will be released by the end of 2011, containing 4 episodes from the series.

No word yet on which episodes. What episodes do think will be on the disc? If it were down to me I'd like to see the obvious Yesterday's Enterprise, BoBW, with brand new fx, and maybe The Inner Light.

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have upscalled TNG to 720P by using PowerDirector and it does look really good.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    How are they doing this? It was filmed on video, which makes it really hard to upscale properly.

Anyone got any juicy information? :)
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    How are they doing this? It was filmed on video, which makes it really hard to upscale properly.

Anyone got any juicy information? :)

Maybe they are going back to the film negatives and doing the remastering that way. It got shot on 35mm(I think) and then transferred to video, for editing purposes and post production effects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Maybe they are going back to the film negatives and doing the remastering that way. It got shot on 35mm(I think) and then transferred to video, for editing purposes and post production effects.

Yep. Like many US shows(80s & 90s) it was shot on 35mm then transferred to video to be worked on. Fans of the X-Files for one have been asking for a BR release for years. But it is expensive to go back to the original film, even if they still exist. ST TNG is being looked at because Trek fans are willing to keep paying for releases of shows on different media(VHS,DVD & now BR). Which make the option financially viable, maybe.

I've got TNG on DVD and tried watching it last year. For me it has not aged well. The first two season especially are pretty ropey. But when it is good, it is very good indeed.

I bought the BR set of TOS because I never went for the DVD boxsets. I wouldn't be tempted to go for TNG though, or Voyager if they ever went for that as well.

Now if DS9 was ever released on BR I would definitely go for that. I would gladly sell my DS9 DVDs and go for those on BR:):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I will go for STTNG if it comes out on BD. DS9 never pulled me in.

I have TOS on BD and it's spectacular. But the problem with the more modern stuff is that the effects will probably done in SD, on video. This would cost a lot to redo. But hey, they replaced all the model shots in TOS, so you never know.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Looks like the remastering of STTNG is going ahead and that a test BD disc will be released by the end of 2011, containing 4 episodes from the series.

No word yet on which episodes. What episodes do think will be on the disc? If it were down to me I'd like to see the obvious Yesterday's Enterprise, BoBW, with brand new fx, and maybe The Inner Light.

BoBW and Yesterday's Enterprise would seem to be obvious choices, and hopefully we're correct. Other than that, not entirely sure which other episode they'd go for, but presumably another 'high spectacle' episode.

Farscape's coming later in the year as well. Sweet. :cool:
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It cost me a small fortune to buy the full sets of Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager, as well as X-Files and Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Theres no way I would replace all these if they did come out on Blu-Ray, and in any case it is hardly likely they would be THAT good because of the format in which they were originally filmed.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any chance they would redo the FX? I know that they were limited by budget at the time and that they reused a lot of them.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    BoBW and Yesterday's Enterprise would seem to be obvious choices, and hopefully we're correct. Other than that, not entirely sure which other episode they'd go for, but presumably another 'high spectacle' episode.

Farscape's coming later in the year as well. Sweet. :cool:

Maybe QWho?

Nice to see Farscape on BD, but no Peacekeeper Wars so I'll wait for the full box set.
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    it is hardly likely they would be THAT good because of the format in which they were originally filmed.

Nothing to do with how it was filmed. It was how the FX were edited. If they go back to the original film and redo the FX then it'll look every bit as good as the TOS BDs, which are stunning.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If ST:TNG were not full of effects it wouldn't be that expensive to go back to the film and edit it to match the broadcast episodes. It has been done before for other shows.

The expense comes in redoing the considerable effects, much of which will be in frame with the actors. Blue/green screen and phasers/beaming and so forth.

But I haven't heard any definitive comments from CBS/Paramount on this. Does the OP have links?
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Is there any chance they would redo the FX? I know that they were limited by budget at the time and that they reused a lot of them.

Re-doing the effects is the only way they CAN do this, and in my view quite right too, TNG's effects haven't aged well, particularly series 1/2.

I think it'll be obviously the Borg Episodes that'll be remastered (Q-Who and BOBW) with maybe Yesterday's Enterprise as well, good tests for the FX team and episodes casual fans will be interested in too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still an absense of CBS/Paramount sourced comments on what the actual process will be.

Which suggests to me it won't be a full sfx recreation but simply "upres" with clever software.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time will tell. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the coming months.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    It cost me a small fortune to buy the full sets of Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager, as well as X-Files and Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Theres no way I would replace all these if they did come out on Blu-Ray, and in any case it is hardly likely they would be THAT good because of the format in which they were originally filmed.

i spent alot of money last year getting all the star trek series & films on dvd because they said it was to expensive to convert to blu ray..oh the anger:D oh well not to worry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    i spent alot of money last year getting all the star trek series & films on dvd because they said it was to expensive to convert to blu ray..oh the anger:D oh well not to worry

I noticed they've recently released brand new complete series box sets. They're quite nice boxes tbh. Compact and sturdy, and free up a lot of shelf space.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I am so glad they are doing this, i have so far refused to buy the DVD's due to the poor quality fuzzy pucture.
    TNG on Blu ray in Full HD would be a must have for me.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Still an absense of CBS/Paramount sourced comments on what the actual process will be.

Which suggests to me it won't be a full sfx recreation but simply "upres" with clever software.

Can't see that. They upres'd an episode of DS9 for the TOS Blu Rays and it looked awful, in fact worse than the SD version of the same episode. They got a lot of flak over that, so I can't see them going down that route.

Apparently they're intending to use money from a recent deal that they've signed with Netflix for all 5 live series to fund the remastering. The TOS BDs were incredibly profitable for them, and they'll be using the TNG BDs to tie in with the second JJA Trek movie. I doubt they'll do it half-assed.

Just hope that it's successful enough to warrant a DS9 remastering further down the line. They can stop after that, the rest was sh1t.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm shocked how bad it looks whenever it's shown on TV, for quite a modern show. Caught a few of the reruns and it looked wretched.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll replace my DVDs but probably one season at a time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it would be mental to do an "upres" but TNG is a mega-job and a half, makes the TOS remastering look trivial.

But there is money in it, it might give the show another 15 years of repeats for good ratings and the boxsets would sell huge, so here's hoping it's done properly.

I have never felt inclined to buy a Trek box set but TNG in true HD would be a done deal.

I wonder if the film has any extra image area on the left/right? Would make 16:9 perhaps doable as well.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I agree it would be mental to do an "upres" but TNG is a mega-job and a half, makes the TOS remastering look trivial.

But there is money in it, it might give the show another 15 years of repeats for good ratings and the boxsets would sell huge, so here's hoping it's done properly.

I have never felt inclined to buy a Trek box set but TNG in true HD would be a done deal.

I wonder if the film has any extra image area on the left/right? Would make 16:9 perhaps doable as well.
    That is a whole can of worms right there.
    Personally, i want it 16:9, i hate watching stuff on a 4:3 box in a 16:9 telly, it would look amazing.
    The problem is tat when filming it, everything was framed for 4:3, so actors were hunched together etc, in order to fit 4:3, if you used the whole image availabe, you may have lots of dead space either side, but that to me is still preferable to leaving them 4:3.
    Ideally the blu-ray should have the option to crop into 4:3 if so desired.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the results of this!! With TNG it really is a case of the episodes looking so bad that it distracts you from their potential. It was okay at the time, 20 years ago, but now you can see all the flaws of that ghastly video editing. The show was shot on 35mm film!! There's gonna be a massive difference in quality.

Personally I hope they don't go 16:9 widescreen for the episodes. That's not how they were ever meant to be shown and you can guarantee there will be parts with crew/equipment visible in the shots if they were to widen the view.
    Forum Member
    Personally I hope they don't go 16:9 widescreen for the episodes. That's not how they were ever meant to be shown and you can guarantee there will be parts with crew/equipment visible in the shots if they were to widen the view.

I think TNG's original aspect ratio is 1.33:1, so you might get some extra detail at the sides, but it's unlikely to be a full 1.78:1 job.