Options

Jack Reacher, anyone??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
Forum Member
So I've been reading the Lee Child's Jack Reacher series for a while, but I find it hard to others who read it too. I've only met a handful of people who actually read the books :/ So I was wondering if anyone else out there likes the books? :)

I've read:
61 Hours
Worth Dying For
Persuader
The Hard Way
Gone Tomorrow
The Affair
Die Trying
Echo Burning

Looking to read Without Fail and Never Go Back next :D

Comments

• Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have read them all and I enjoyed them except for Never Go Back, which I found boring and unrealistic. Apparently the next JR film is going to be based on this book. I don't know how they're gonna get a decent film out of the story.

One Shot was the best and first JR that I ever read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    I have read them all and I enjoyed them except for Never Go Back, which I found boring and unrealistic. Apparently the next JR film is going to be based on this book. I don't know how they're gonna get a decent film out of the story.

One Shot was the best and first JR that I ever read.
    Wow I read 61 Hours first and it was quite boring at times but I somehow stuck through it, and I looked at the other books in the series and I was hooked!

I thought the Jack Reacher film was really bad, Tom Cruise ruined it.

My best so far is probably either Persuader, Worth Dying for or Echo Burning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have read all the Jack Reacher books and loved them. Tom Cruise was the worst possible choice to play Jack Reacher.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I've read seven, so far, in order and I have enjoyed them all. The only 2 that have been memorable are Die Trying and Echo Burning.
    Now waiting for Persuader, from the library (reservation) which seems to take ages.
    Always interested to listen in on Lee Child's interviews about his books.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have read all the Jack Reacher books and loved them. Tom Cruise was the worst possible choice to play Jack Reacher.

It was weird casting on that movie- Cruise was the worst possible Reacher, but Herzog was the best possible Zek.

Basically, it needed about twenty minutes more Zek, and a foot and a half more Reacher.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have read 3 Jack Reacher books, enjoyed them for what they are. They're a bit repetitive for me as basically Reacher is pretty much invincible. Kind of grinds after a while.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the movie, loved the movie, tried audiobooking the books, loved the books too well most of the books, then finished the series.

Of the three I didn't like, one had a premise that was just stupid, one had him being too violent and the last, the most recent one, well saying any more would be giving out spoilers so I'll stop there.
  • Options
    Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have read them all, finishing Personal last week which I found formulaic, weak and page turning only in the sense you wanted the end to come quickly. Agree about Cruise, like casting Joe Pasquale as Batman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: Personal
    complete story spoiler - you've been warned
    The whole "it wasn't really an assassination attempt on the French VIP thing, well I knew that virtually right away - by the time the 2nd shooter had seen the 1st shot had broken thru the glass and decided to, and then taken his shot, well the French VIPs body guards would have had him on the ground and safe, and since (iirc) we're told snipers only shoot when they're guaranteed a kill (or something like that), then there couldn't be a 2nd shooter, so it wasn't an assassination attempt. I saw this and was puzzled why non of the investigators, Jack Reacher included, saw this. It puzzled me all through the book why no-one raised this REALLY SIMPLE deduction, only for it to turn out to be the MAIN plot thing of the book. I didn't feel all clever 'n stuff, I just felt hard done by that this was just not good enough for a Jack Reacher book, darn it. :(
    And as for Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.... Yes he doesn't have the height but that didn't bother me in the slightest and I felt the movie was a faithful adaption of the book, even with the changes they made - loved they showed him buying new clothes and ditching the old ones, and the whole "It's 5 against 1.... no, 2 always run away so it's 3 against 1" thing, and also how things didn't always go right and smoothly for him, but he always got up and kept going - mirrored how things went for Tom's character in the last Mission Impossible movie, but I'm going off-topic here so I'll stop now. :D
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read a few of them now.
    I read them on holiday as they are an easy read and do not tax my mind too much.
    Entertaining enough.

I liked the film even with Tom Cruise in it, I wonder if Lee Child was happy with the choice of him to portray Reacher.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    I've also read them all (most at least twice), great books - and while I agree that Tom Cruise was a ludicrous choice for the role, the film itself wasn't too bad at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I have read them all except personal. Some are very good others are a bit meh.
    Enjoyed the older ones more. Nearly all of them follow the same formula but its enjoyable escapism.

As for the film its ok, but I tbought of it more as an action film rather than Jack Reacher
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read all the books apart from the last two, as they haven't reached the charity shops yet!

I have enjoyed them all, even though they are to a well trodden formula.

I haven't seen the film yet, but will probably watch it once it appears on TV. Tom Cruise is a most unlikely Reacher, as he is far too short. However, I am sure that Lee Child is quite happy to collect the pay-off from having such a major star take on the role.
  • Options
    tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Reacher. In fact I'm in love with Reacher. I've read them all and most have been pretty good. I think Echo Burning was terrible though and am amazed to see some posters above listing it as their fave. Personal, the new one, was also dire.

My favourite is The Enemy.

As for the tapped midget - worst casting in history. Apparently, Lee Child was all for it as he felt that he would bring the essence of Reacher to life. Bullpooh. Clearly it was all about the £££ to him.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    re: Personal
    complete story spoiler - you've been warned
    The whole "it wasn't really an assassination attempt on the French VIP thing, well I knew that virtually right away - by the time the 2nd shooter had seen the 1st shot had broken thru the glass and decided to, and then taken his shot, well the French VIPs body guards would have had him on the ground and safe, and since (iirc) we're told snipers only shoot when they're guaranteed a kill (or something like that), then there couldn't be a 2nd shooter, so it wasn't an assassination attempt. I saw this and was puzzled why non of the investigators, Jack Reacher included, saw this. It puzzled me all through the book why no-one raised this REALLY SIMPLE deduction, only for it to turn out to be the MAIN plot thing of the book. I didn't feel all clever 'n stuff, I just felt hard done by that this was just not good enough for a Jack Reacher book, darn it. :(
    And as for Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.... Yes he doesn't have the height but that didn't bother me in the slightest and I felt the movie was a faithful adaption of the book, even with the changes they made - loved they showed him buying new clothes and ditching the old ones, and the whole "It's 5 against 1.... no, 2 always run away so it's 3 against 1" thing, and also how things didn't always go right and smoothly for him, but he always got up and kept going - mirrored how things went for Tom's character in the last Mission Impossible movie, but I'm going off-topic here so I'll stop now. :D

That just made me giggle, Tom Cruise acting tough just makes me laugh. I can imagine Clint Eastwood saying a line like that making it really menacing but not wee Tom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^You see I didn't get that at all, totally buying into Tom as the character, not like the new 4"7' not-Stathem-Transporter guy. He wasn't trying to be menacing, not supposed to be that, and when it came down to the fighting Tom didn't go overboard, just did what was necessary to take 'em down - lifted right from the books.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed in Personal. In fact I didn't even finish the book and I'm an avid Lee Child reader
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^You see I didn't get that at all, totally buying into Tom as the character, not like the new 4"7' not-Stathem-Transporter guy. He wasn't trying to be menacing, not supposed to be that, and when it came down to the fighting Tom didn't go overboard, just did what was necessary to take 'em down - lifted right from the books.

Aye, the scene was lifted from the book, but my problem was that I got a sense of 'fear' from the assailants when Reacher was facing them all - this huge guy saying all that, and the assailants were going for it anyway, and I was thinking "You fools - you don't know what you're getting into" (increasing their level of stupidity for me). However, Reacher's size should have given them an inkling, and they were stupid for not backing down, yet Tom Cruise couldn't physically intimidate a feather duster. So yes, Reacher-in-the-book wasn't supposed to be menacing, yet he is anyway in my mind. Reacher-on-the-screen looked like a scrawny kid next to the real Reacher, and it didn't work.

Anyway, OP, I've read all of them in order and I loved most of them. The ones I didn't love I enjoyed anyway, simply because it's Reacher. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always picture Reacher as Henry Rollins, for some reason. I would have loved him to get the role.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Cruise was an acceptable Reacher. My OH watched the film with me and he's never read the books, but he enjoyed it. As long as you ignored the book's description of Reachers size, then Tom Cruise played the part very well. He has a strong screen presence and dealt with the physical threats in a believable way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I thought Cruise was an acceptable Reacher. My OH watched the film with me and he's never read the books, but he enjoyed it. As long as you ignored the book's description of Reachers size, then Tom Cruise played the part very well. He has a strong screen presence and dealt with the physical threats in a believable way.

Thing is, normally I'm cool with that kind of change. It's just that with Reacher, his size is stressed SO DAMN MUCH in EVERY OTHER SENTENCE. It's kind of a defining characteristic in the way that it wouldn't be for many other fictional characters, because it's rammed home so often in the books. Having a Jack Reacher who isn't huge is like having a Sherlock Holmes who isn't clever. It's not a cosmetic detail, it's a fundamental aspect of the character.

That said, Cruise was a lot better than I thought he'd be. He's a decent actor, after all, and I thought he played it well, he just wasn't Reacher for me AT ALL. Cruise playing Reacher was like Keanu Reeves playing Constantine- it wasn't his acting that was the problem, he was just horrendously cast.

(As I said above, though, the movie was worth it just for Herzog).
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finishing the book 61 Hours.

Not very impressed with it as there seems to be an awful lot of unnecessary filler.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finishing the book 61 Hours.

Not very impressed with it as there seems to be an awful lot of unnecessary filler.

There are now nearly 20 full length Jack Reacher books. It must be very difficult to keep thinking of new ways of telling the same story - a very large loner comes into town and defeats the bad guys. Mind you, there must be loads of western (films and books) which have dealt with the same material.

I enjoy the books, but know what to expect at the end - it is just the journey which is slightly different. Sometimes the journey is more interesting than others - I have read some books where I find the "filler", or details, interests me and others where it doesn't.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Just finished Persuader and it wasn't bad. I usually leave long intervals between his books and for some reason I found this one quite gruesome. I did skip a few unnecesary pages here and there, though.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the JR books just when I needed something to fill
    a void in my stream of reading material. I was given all of
    the books and a few short stories/novellas.I read them
    through and enjoyed every page;then I re-read them all
    straight away,something I hardly ever do!
    The only fly in the ointment for me,was that as I neared the
    end of my first reading of them, someone lent me the DVD
    of the 'dwarf as Jack Reacher' film,which was incredibly bad!