Which Android phone should I get next

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
I have had a Nexus 4 for a while except I have just been in Africa and gave it away to a good cause. As a result I am Androidless (although I still have my iP5). I am really missing the N4, particularly for the Swype keyboard (why oh why don't Apple implement this). As a result I am looking to replace the N4 with either the same again or some other top of the range Android phone. From what I see on here the choice appears to be an S4 or HTC One. For those who know me (and my foibles :)) on here, what would suit me best. Probably the one thing that makes me hesitate re the S4 is Touchwiz - although I've never used it I really don't like manufacturer added skins.
A good camera would be a consideration, I use the iP5 as my primary camera and love it for its quality and responsiveness

Comments

• slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I have had a Nexus 4 for a while except I have just been in Africa and gave it away to a good cause. As a result I am Androidless (although I still have my iP5). I am really missing the N4, particularly for the Swype keyboard (why oh why don't Apple implement this). As a result I am looking to replace the N4 with either the same again or some other top of the range Android phone. From what I see on here the choice appears to be an S4 or HTC One. For those who know me (and my foibles :)) on here, what would suit me best. Probably the one thing that makes me hesitate re the S4 is Touchwiz - although I've never used it I really don't like manufacturer added skins.
    A good camera would be a consideration, I use the iP5 as my primary camera and love it for its quality and responsiveness

HTC One, quality quality phone! I have a N4 too and whilst I really did like it, the One is class in all areas. Sound, Camera, and Sense is very light and modern looking now and there are no lag issues. Pretty sure you will take to it more than a bloated S4.

The One coming up above the S4 in reviews at the minute.Was very impressed with the keyboard on it too. I thought the N4 keyboard was good but the One's is fantastic.

Have a read of these Amazon reviews. people saying good things about the One.

I mean, 24 5 star and 3 4 star reviews. Speaks for itself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000NTBLV0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    HTC One, quality quality phone! I have a N4 too and whilst I really did like it, the One is class in all areas. Sound, Camera, and Sense is very light and modern looking now and there are no lag issues. Pretty sure you will take to it more than a bloated S4.

The One coming up above the S4 in reviews at the minute.Was very impressed with the keyboard on it too. I thought the N4 keyboard was good but the One's is fantastic.

Have a read of these Amazon reviews. people saying good things about the One.

I mean, 24 5 star and 3 4 star reviews. Speaks for itself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000NTBLV0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I think the HTC one is best keyboard I have ever used on a phone though I do like the Z10 blackberry one.

To topic opener I would suggest going into somewhere like CPW or network you on and just trying phones out. Top ones are the One the S4 and Xperia Z or could wait to see if the new nexus 4 variant is more up your street when it announced later this month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I think the HTC one is best keyboard I have ever used on a phone though I do like the Z10 blackberry one.

To topic opener I would suggest going into somewhere like CPW or network you on and just trying phones out. Top ones are the One the S4 and Xperia Z or could wait to see if the new nexus 4 variant is more up your street when it announced later this month.

Yep i think it may be the motorola phone that will be unveiled but not sure if it is a nexus replacement, or it's own line of phones, but could be worth a look as I think it will be running stock Android like the N4.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem I have with Android is that you never have "the best" phone for more than a couple of months until a "better model" comes out, then your new shiney phone might not get the newest version of android or maybe it will but it will take months before you get it.

At least with an iPhone EVERYONE gets the update on day one of release, even 4-5 year old iPhones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    The problem I have with Android is that you never have "the best" phone for more than a couple of months until a "better model" comes out, then your new shiney phone might not get the newest version of android or maybe it will but it will take months before you get it.

At least with an iPhone EVERYONE gets the update on day one of release, even 4-5 year old iPhones

I agree with that one. Apple does a far better job of updating there phones than any other manufacturer does.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the galaxy s3 is amazing and the s4 is even better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But that's not wholly true. A Nexus device is the equivalent of an iphone, in that it's made by a third party but to google's spec. they maintain and manage the software so push updates out promptly.

But yes the majority of Android phones, it's hit and miss with regards to upgrades and you do have to play a waiting game sadly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's not wholly true. A Nexus device is the equivalent of an iphone, in that it's made by a third party but to google's spec. they maintain and manage the software so push updates out promptly.

But yes the majority of Android phones, it's hit and miss with regards to upgrades and you do have to play a waiting game sadly.

Though nexus phones are never intended as High-End devices like the one or the S4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though nexus phones are never intended as High-End devices like the one or the S4.

It still is in that class. The Sony Xperia z is pretty much on a par with the N4 and people put the Xperia in with the One and the S4. They are all top end Android handsets. The N4 was right on top before the S4 and the One were released. But of course you get competition within that group too, so it comes down to many factors, if you going for affordability the the N4 absolutely gives you the best bang for buck. If you want the best all round balanced package, it has to be the One, or the S4 if you want the swiss army knife of smart phones and do not mind a hit in performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still is in that class. The Sony Xperia z is pretty much on a par with the N4 and people put the Xperia in with the One and the S4. They are all top end Android handsets. The N4 was right on top before the S4 and the One were released. But of course you get competition within that group too, so it comes down to many factors, if you going for affordability the the N4 absolutely gives you the best bang for buck. If you want the best all round balanced package, it has to be the One, or the S4 if you want the swiss army knife of smart phones and do not mind a hit in performance.

Sorry but to me a high end phone that doesn't have LTE capability as standard isn't a high end phone I know a lot discount LTE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but to me a high end phone that doesn't have LTE capability as standard isn't a high end phone I know a lot discount LTE.

But spec wise, it's right up there. considering LTE is only just coming to the fore, it isn't a make or break issue for people I think. H+ has been plenty fast for me on the N4, I got up to 21mbps!! so getting near 4G speeds.

So I would have to disagree with you there. :)
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No 4-5 year old iPhone is upto date. The 3GS will be 4 years old later this year and it remains to be seen if it will get ios 7 and the 3GS only has ios 6 buy name but not all of the features.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    All the Samsung phones have the same dull design, do they even employ a designer?

I'd go for the HTC One if I could afford it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But spec wise, it's right up there. considering LTE is only just coming to the fore, it isn't a make or break issue for people I think. H+ has been plenty fast for me on the N4, I got up to 21mbps!! so getting near 4G speeds.

So I would have to disagree with you there. :)

I can understand that for me It was a make or break issue I was renewing a contract and LTE will be out on Three by end of this year probably early to mid next year in my area but I still wanted be able use. With the Nexus 4 I wouldn't of been able to.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

How isn't it?

The S3 was a high end phone but didn't have it? Leaving out LTE which most people wont be able to use until probably next year does not mean high end...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    How isn't it?

The S3 was a high end phone but didn't have it? Leaving out LTE which most people wont be able to use until probably next year does not mean high end...

In fairness Samsung thought it was important enough do a revision with to include LTE. Plus you are just thinking of the UK it wasn't included anywhere and america has quite a decent LTE network now.
  • Billy BumblyBilly Bumbly Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Either another N4 or the H1. They are the two best android phones. If you want to keep the phone get the H1 or if you think you may change again soon the N4.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you liked the Swype keyboard have you tried SwiftKey?

I've tried SwiftKey, Slide IT and also another one of those type keyboards and loved them (so much better than standard keyboards) until I tried SwiftKey and absolutely love it.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like I have said before its only really important to have 4G if you are downloading MASSIVE files all the time or streaming true HD movies, but then you will need the data allowance to go with it as well.

For most people 4G is not important and networks have not really rolled it out properly along with some handsets not even being compatible with the 4G spectrum that O2 and Vodafone have.

I say some handsets but not too sure if there are any other phones besides the iPhone 5 but guess there are?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I have said before its only really important to have 4G if you are downloading MASSIVE files all the time or streaming true HD movies, but then you will need the data allowance to go with it as well.

For most people 4G is not important and networks have not really rolled it out properly along with some handsets not even being compatible with the 4G spectrum that O2 and Vodafone have.

I say some handsets but not too sure if there are any other phones besides the iPhone 5 but guess there are?

True at the present time but it will be relevant within the next two years and people on Three will keep there data allowances.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your very useful replies. From reading the reviews linked here I am definitely leaning towards the H1. I will go and take a look in a phone shop.
    One thing that helps clinch it for me is the quality of the sound from the speakers as I listen to a lot of podcasts and it seems like I could do that on this phone without needing earphones.
    It certainly seems to tick all my boxes - and who knows, it may even be good enough to become my primary phone instead of my iP5 :)

As regards the LTE debate in this thread, I have LTE on my iP5 and as I have said elsewhere frankly I don't see the point, it just enables me to burn through my quota quicker. Also, I have no desire to watch movies on a phone anyway.
    Forum Member
    Having virtually made my decision (pending seeing an H1 in the flesh) the only issue remaining is colour - opinions please ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having virtually made my decision (pending seeing an H1 in the flesh) the only issue remaining is colour - opinions please ?

Beyond a doubt the silver.
    Forum Member
    Beyond a doubt the silver.

Funny you should say that. I have always had black phones but something is telling me I will like the silver
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that. I have always had black phones but something is telling me I will like the silver

The silver looks gorgeous. I have that too. Wanted a change from black.

And I opted to put a see through case to protect the back but can still see the silver through it. Really didn't like the though of totally hiding it