Vodafone and O2 share

reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know when O2 and Vodafone are actually going to start sharing their networks?

Comments

• Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know when O2 and Vodafone are actually going to start sharing their networks?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/01/o2_voda/

No firm dates though sadly.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will be sharing transmission sites - not networks.

They will manage each others sites on an East/West division of the UK and jointly install and manage new 4G facilities but they will not be combining networks.

There is no combination of networks, nor is there any with 3/EE who also share. They have masts that provide access to each others frequency ranges but data, calls and SMS are routed separately to each individual network from the site.

That said, both companies should have similar coverage. Vodafone/O2 sharing outwith 4G data is not expected to be completed before 2016.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Have they actually started doing this now? Reason i ask is I'm on talkmobile (use Vodafone) and their mobile internet has always been absolutely shocking at home (use wifi so no biggie). Speeds of 250kbps not unusual up until the last few days - now I'm getting speeds of anything up to 6mb and nothing less than 4mb! On the Voddy coverage checker the variable speed prediction hasn't changed and it also states no plans to upgrade?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there will be anything started till the end on 2013 at earliest.
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there will be anything started till the end on 2013 at earliest.

It's already started.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has started and both O2 and Vodafone have a continuous network improvement program so that might explain the improved user experience.
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not understand what they are actually sharing? is it the masts? And back hall?

And also who pays for what considering they are managing the country right down the middle. Do they still pay their own parts or does it come out of a central fund?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jwhiterz wrote: »
    I do not understand what they are actually sharing? is it the masts? And back hall?

And also who pays for what considering they are managing the country right down the middle. Do they still pay their own parts or does it come out of a central fund?

They are sharing transmission sites. Not their core networks as Ofocm do not allow licence holders to do that.

O2 will have responsibility for transmission sites for half of the UK and Vodafone will look after the other half. Each operator will have their own frequency range and connect from sites using their own networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has started and both O2 and Vodafone have a continuous network improvement program so that might explain the improved user experience.

PMSL :D

Wavejock you really crack me up :D

(PS That is banter)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invisible post...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PMSL :D

The joke is on anyone who thinks any of the operators stand still.

All of them are continually trying to improve services to maintain and attract customers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is totally misguided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All of them are continually trying to improve services to maintain and attract customers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is totally misguided.

Some more than others...... :D
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair 02 is appalling, I had 02 for my mobile service provider for 6 months until they admitted they were crap and allowed me to get out of the contract. I'm currently with 3 and they're unbeatable for service and price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some more than others...... :D

Indeed and that seems to be confirmed by the customer satisfaction results that Ofcom and others publish. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    To be fair 02 is appalling, I had 02 for my mobile service provider for 6 months until they admitted they were crap and allowed me to get out of the contract. I'm currently with 3 and they're unbeatable for service and price.

And where I live I can't make a voice call on 3 without it dropping after a short while.....

The UK is a big place and it's not the same everywhere. You have to seek advice from others when selecting a mobile service where you live to be confident about it's coverage etc.

A bargain is not a bargain if you can't use it and 3 are by no means the cheapest option nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed and that seems to be confirmed by the customer satisfaction results that Ofcom and others publish. :rolleyes:

O2's customer service is great.

O2's 3G coverage is appalling.

Two different things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2's customer service is great.

O2's 3G coverage is appalling.

To different things.

O2's customers don't seem to be troubled, they are gaining market share!

To is not proper English, it's 'two' actually.... when you mean the number.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And where I live I can't make a voice call on 3 without it dropping after a short while.....

The UK is a big place and it's not the same everywhere. You have to seek advice from others when selecting a mobile service where you live to be confident about it's coverage etc.

A bargain is not a bargain if you can't use it and 3 are by no means the cheapest option nowadays.

Its a bargain for me, amazing speeds, unlimited uncapped downloads/tethering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Its a bargain for me, amazing speeds, unlimited uncapped downloads/tethering.

Great... the 3 public relations person maybe!

Useless for me who can't maintain a voice call though in my part of the country.

Anyway what has 3 got to do with the Vodafone and O2 sharing agreement?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets get Back on topic please
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2's customers don't seem to be troubled, they are gaining market share!

To is not proper English, it's 'two' actually.... when you mean the number.

O2 are in big trouble. See other threads on this subject....

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I aim to have my posts typo free but occasionally I make a mistake since I missed out the letter "w" which I have now fixed teacher ;)
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are sharing transmission sites. Not their core networks as Ofocm do not allow licence holders to do that.

O2 will have responsibility for transmission sites for half of the UK and Vodafone will look after the other half. Each operator will have their own frequency range and connect from sites using their own networks.

So basically its similar to MBNL with three and EE?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    Lets get Back on topic please

Indeed..... the topic is actually about the O2/Vodafone network consolidation.

News about that would be of interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but both operators will have own back haul and transmission equipment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No MBNL operate a RAN (a radio access network) which all their customers can use. Each has their own frequency range and separate network.

O2/Vodafone will operate shared sites with completely separate radio facilities as far as has been reported. One company will service one half of the UK and the other will look after the other but both will have separate radio transmission at each site.