BT caller display, how much does it cost?

if i call/type *234# on my phone to enable caller display how much does it cost for the service or is it free?

Comments

• stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is free on bt.Dont have to enter that number.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    If you register with BT Privacy at Home (see here) you can get BT Caller Display for free and you can also register with the Telephone Preference Service as well. All for free :)
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The service is usually £1.75 per month, but since 1st June 2005 via the BT Privacy www.bt.com/btprivacy you can get it for free, you just need to make at least one chargeable call via BT per billing period.

You need to call BT or apply online for caller display, the *234# is just if you want to switch it on after you have switched it off, though why you would want to switch it off I don't know, especially when at one time you would be paying for it, whether you switched it off or not, if you want to disable caller display from your line you'd need to contact BT again to cancel the service, but then as you can get it free, would be no point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    The service is usually £1.75 per month, but since 1st June 2005 via the BT Privacy www.bt.com/btprivacy you can get it for free, you just need to make at least one chargeable call via BT per billing period.

You need to call BT or apply online for caller display, the *234# is just if you want to switch it on after you have switched it off, though why you would want to switch it off I don't know, especially when at one time you would be paying for it, whether you switched it off or not, if you want to disable caller display from your line you'd need to contact BT again to cancel the service, but then as you can get it free, would be no point.
    well i went to that link but it says "customer type is not supported via automation", the code was on a list what someone sent to me with a code for blocking anonymous phones calls which i desperately needed as we were getting about 15 a day! and i noticed it had a code for caller display which would be usefull.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried using the 0800 916 5544 number to enable the service.

Yeah that code you can use once you have Caller Display enabled, for some reason you might not want caller display to work, so you can switch the display on and off, however you will still have caller display on the line, just it won't display the incoming number.

You can get ACR (anonymous Caller Rejection) however BT charge around £4 per month for this, so maybe screening the calls yourself is the better option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Have you tried using the 0800 916 5544 number to enable the service.

Yeah that code you can use once you have Caller Display enabled, for some reason you might not want caller display to work, so you can switch the display on and off, however you will still have caller display on the line, just it won't display the incoming number.

You can get ACR (anonymous Caller Rejection) however BT charge around £4 per month for this, so maybe screening the calls yourself is the better option.
    yep, that doesn't work either.

so as we've not had caller display before i guess me entering the code will not do anything?

ACR is what the number/code i typed in was for, *227#, so does that mean i will be charged £4 a month for it? I didn't speak to anyone, as soon as i typed it in it said people with anonymous phone numbers would not be able to contact me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asdigi wrote:
    yep, that doesn't work either.

so as we've not had caller display before i guess me entering the code will not do anything?

ACR is what the number/code i typed in was for, *227#, so does that mean i will be charged £4 a month for it? I didn't speak to anyone, as soon as i typed it in it said people with anonymous phone numbers would not be able to contact me.

You will have to call BT and speak to them to find out why you can't get the free caller display via the automated service, they should be able to sort it out.

No you shouldn't be charged for ACR, as you haven't called up or applied online for the service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT service codes:

Anonymous Caller Rejection:
    On: *227#
    Off: #227#
    Check Status:*#227#

Call baring:
    On: *341servicecode#
    Off: #341servicecode#
    Check Staus: *#341#

Call Divert:
    On: *servicecode#
    Off: #servicecode#
    Check Staus: *#servicecode#

Reminder Call:
    Set the time: *55Time/00.00#
    Cancel: #55#
    Check Status: *#55#

BT Answer and Callminder: 1571

CLI Services:
    Number of the last caller: 1471
    Return the call: Dial 3 when promted.
    1471 eraser: 1475
    Trace caller(Nuicence calls only): 1477
    Number withold: 141
    Release CLI: 1470

BT Pay and Call: 14252

BT choose to refuse: 14258

BT Operator Assistance: 100

International operator asistance: 155

Disabled operator assistance: 198

Disabled free Directory enquires: 195

BT customer service: 150 and 152

BT residential faults: 151

BT Business faults: 154

BT Chargecard: 144

BT Line test facilities: 17070

Service codes for Call Divert:
    All incomming calls: 21
    All Busy calls: 61
    All unanswered calls: 67
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    You will have to call BT and speak to them to find out why you can't get the free caller display via the automated service, they should be able to sort it out.

No you shouldn't be charged for ACR, as you haven't called up or applied online for the service.
    ok, will try tommorow, it wouldn't be that we've allready got it on the line but it isn't enabled because we only recently got cordless phones which are caller display capable, do you think i should try that 234 code and see if it works?

okey dokey, i'll leave it on and see if anything appears on our next bill, i said to my mum it might cost something but she said she definately wants it as we get so many unwanted calls which are allways anonymous so if it does i wont be in trouble :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those service code you just posted are basically what i was sent a link to http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/network_codes.htm#BTACR
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just tried the *234# for caller display and it said the service is unavailable which is what my nans phone said when i tried the *227# code for ACR, im wondering if we had ACR but for some unknown reason it had been disabled? which is why the code for caller display doesn't work and neither does the ACR code on my nans phone, do you think my theory is right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could switch it on, then check the status, and also test it by calling your number from a mobile and withholding your number.

However without ordering it, it shouldn't be possible to alter the state of the service, and therefore not be charged until you do actually order the service, otherwise anyone could enable these services without your knowledge from your phoneline.

The reason why you might want to turn ACR off sometimes is if you are expecting a call back from the council or a business that automatically withholds all numbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    You could switch it on, then check the status, and also test it by calling your number from a mobile and withholding your number.

However without ordering it, it shouldn't be possible to alter the state of the service, and therefore not be charged until you do actually order the service, otherwise anyone could enable these services without your knowledge from your phoneline.

The reason why you might want to turn ACR off sometimes is if you are expecting a call back from the council or a business that automatically withholds all numbers.
    i switched on ACR this morning and tested it from my mobile and my nans phone and it works fine, when you try to phone it says this person does not accept anonymous phone numbers or similar but it didn't work on my nans phone (see post above yours, we posted at the same time lol)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange, it shouldn't be possible to switch ACR on without ordering it, but it does sound like the service was on your line but not enabled.

You should have found the codes wouldn't work until it was enabled, it does sound like there is some sort of fault on your account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Strange, it shouldn't be possible to switch ACR on without ordering it, but it does sound like the service was on your line but not enabled.

You should have found the codes wouldn't work until it was enabled, it does sound like there is some sort of fault on your account.
    i just spoke to my mum and she said she did ring up and enable ACR a long time ago but we then started getting the calls again so somehow it had been disabled which explains why my nans doesn't work, i'll have to explain to her tommorow and she can then ring up and enable it.

yeah, it all makes sense now, basically ACR was enabled but somehow it had been disbled and i just re enabled it today :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asdigi wrote:
    yeah, it all makes sense now, basically ACR was enabled but somehow it had been disbled and i just re enabled it today :)

Yeah, that makes sense.

There is no reason why you can't have ACR and Caller Display on the line, though it sounds like you will have to contact BT for that, just need to ensure they enable the free service (which is no different to the paid for service).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Yeah, that makes sense.

There is no reason why you can't have ACR and Caller Display on the line, though it sounds like you will have to contact BT for that, just need to ensure they enable the free service (which is no different to the paid for service).
    thanks for clearing it up :)

I shall ring BT tommorow and hopefully get caller display enabled for free as it would be really useful to have.