Sound from ALL the system!!

Hopefully this the correct forum.
I have a 42 LED 3D smart TV, BluRay player, SkyHD box, a BT YouView box, all sitting safely & connected to my TV.
Question: Sound from my LG is pretty poor, so hoping to purchase (for Christmas a present to me) the Yamaha YAS 101, which has an Optical connection (not HDMI) straight to the TV, does that mean whenever I play sky, youview, bluray etc, will come automatically through the soundbar?, your thoughts most appreciated.:o

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own an LG TV which replaced another LG TV. On both the Optical out carries sound from all sources connected to the TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    chrisjr: Thats it then answer complete, much obliged for your input, matter solved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only caveat to mention is that depending on the capabilities of the sound bar you may need to set everything to output LPCM stereo. The TV will happily pass through Dolby/DTS surround audio from HDMI sources to the optical out. If the sound bar can't decode those formats you'll get no noise out.

Also make sure the sound bar has it's own remote volume control. The optical out is fixed level, it doesn't alter with the TV remote volume.
    Forum Member
    Will have to check this out, Cheers. Will post back when I find the answer.
    Forum Member
    Seems that through the TV, only get 2.1 channels, via SkyHD & Bluray you can get up to 5.1, can't say I fully understand it, still it gets great reviews for a budget soundbar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter4076 wrote: »
    Seems that through the TV, only get 2.1 channels, via SkyHD & Bluray you can get up to 5.1, can't say I fully understand it, still it gets great reviews for a budget soundbar.
    If the TV has Freeview HD (not the same as being a HD TV) then the TV can output 5.1 surround from the HD channels if they have a surround sound audio stream.

The TV should pass through Dolby Digital and DTS streams from the Blu-Ray and Dolby surround from the Sky box if it is one that feeds surround via HDMI. Earlier Sky HD boxes only did Dolby surround via the optical out.

Looking at the spec of the soundbar it seems it's one of those that creates a pseudo surround effect even though it's only got two speakers (plus sub) in the actual unit. Hence why it can accept a Dolby or DTS surround input signal.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for clearing that up, my TV, Bluray, & SkyHD are all wired (via BT Hub 3) to the internet, where I also at times access the odd 3D movie on SkyHD, also on Netflix & Blinkbox occasionally, I'm presuming these will also be enhanced via a soundbar!
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for clearing that up, my TV, Bluray, & SkyHD are all wired (via BT Hub 3) to the internet, where I also at times access the odd 3D movie on SkyHD, also on Netflix & Blinkbox occasionally, I'm presuming these will also be enhanced via a soundbar!

They will be a lot better with the soundbar, they would sound even better if you could go up a notch and get one of the Yamaha sound projectors (with multiple speakers for 5.1 sound) but isn't that always the way:).

You might find it better to leave of the pseudo sounds but you'll find that out when you get it.
    Forum Member
    In the early days, purchased Nad amp, Dual (make) quality deck, Marantz tape deck, Acoustic Research speakers 79 strand speaker wire, come to think of it, I still use most of them, over 30 years old some of the kit, also have tried the 5 speaker & sub woofer kit, alas I have a lovely wife who is very understanding of my obsession with technology, but draws the line at speakers strategically placed around the sitting room, so really, life is a compromise and the Yamaha YAS 101, is another compromise, always striving, I suppose that's how it should be, never satisfied.
    Thanks to one & all.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the early days, purchased Nad amp, Dual (make) quality deck, Marantz tape deck, Acoustic Research speakers 79 strand speaker wire, come to think of it, I still use most of them, over 30 years old some of the kit, also have tried the 5 speaker & sub woofer kit, alas I have a lovely wife who is very understanding of my obsession with technology, but draws the line at speakers strategically placed around the sitting room, so really, life is a compromise and the Yamaha YAS 101, is another compromise, always striving, I suppose that's how it should be, never satisfied.
    Thanks to one & all.
    The Yamaha sound projectors are are soundbars but they have multiple speakers that they change the phase of so that they can direct the sound and bounce it off the walls to give a reasonably decent surround sound (depending on the room) without the need for speakers around the room. They can fairly be described as 5.1 whereas that is not possible with 2 speakers.

I have one of these with a separate sub, the downside is that it is much more expensive than the YAS 101 that will still dramatically improve the sound quality of your setup.