Tablet recommendations

Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone recommend a tablet? I don't really know anything about them. I want to use it mainly for surfing the web and also I would like to connect a pen drive/hard drive by USB to be able to view photos and watch video clips. I know someone who has one and she says hers has a smaller USB port, so a connector would be needed? Also, is it possible to get an app such as wordpad so you can type documents on?

Comments

• ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Before anyone can give you any help, please give budget and your preferred screen size, and I guess, operating system
  • Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more than £150, 7" will be fine (is that the smallest one?) Not sure about operating system, as long as it works ok and isn't too slow. I'm not expecting it to be as fast as my laptop, but hoping it will be faster than my mobile phone (when phone is not running through my broadband wirelessly). Thanks.
    Forum Member
    If you can go to £179.99 the galaxy tab 7.7 is available on Ebay brand new.
    My son has just paid over £200 in CEX for an A grade one.
    Although older than some tablets, this is a fantastic buy, with Android Jelly bean update due in the next couple of months

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-SAMSUNG-GALAXY-TAB-2-7-7-0-P3110-8GB-TITANIUM-SILVER-SEALED-/261188913320?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item3cd01288a8
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody in another thread recommended this one which seems to get good customer comments:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ployer-Momo20-Quad-Resolution-Pre-Installed/dp/B00B5TSUXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365609296&sr=8-1&keywords=momo20

Or how about a Kindle Fire (there are various models of which this is only one):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008GG0GBI/ref=fs_2
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Ssr why are you linking your own ebay item for sale??? Its 140 at tesco direct with 10 pounds of clubvcard points too. Op i just got a nexus 7 and its perfect although it costs 170. If you cant spend that much then the samsung tab 2 from tesco or currys is a decent tablet
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can stretch a little over your budget, I'd go for the Nexus 7 rather than the Galaxy Tab or anything else.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 7 gets consistently excellent reviews and is probably the best overall 7 inch choice it seems.
    Forum Member
    Ssr why are you linking your own ebay item for sale??? Its 140 at tesco direct with 10 pounds of clubvcard points too. Op i just got a nexus 7 and its perfect although it costs 170. If you cant spend that much then the samsung tab 2 from tesco or currys is a decent tablet
    Firstly a.a The tablet for sale on EBay is a business seller and certainly not me.
    Secondly,Tesco Direct do not sell the Galaxy Tab 7.7
    Suggest you get your facts right BEFORE you post
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're willing to look outside the country .. £60 quid delivered for a quad core tablet at focal price

http://www.focalprice.com/CE0356X/Allfine_Fine7_Genius_7_Android_411_Quad_Core_ATM7029_15GHz_Tablet.html/?Currency=GBP&SSAID=423396

the gamble you take is that if it arrives with any problems, it'll cost you almost as much to send it back.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coz21 wrote: »

None of them have a mini usb port, they all have MICRO usb, the Kindle cannot have the memory expanded but the Samsung and the Acer can be expanded with a 32gig micro SD card.

If you really want a tablet with a mini USB port you will have to keep looking.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Can anyone recommend a tablet? I don't really know anything about them. I want to use it mainly for surfing the web and also I would like to connect a pen drive/hard drive by USB to be able to view photos and watch video clips. I know someone who has one and she says hers has a smaller USB port, so a connector would be needed? Also, is it possible to get an app such as wordpad so you can type documents on?

You can put photos, music, films onto a micro SD card and view/listen on a tablet; obviously providing the tablet has a micro SD card slot which as someone pointed out the Samsung and Acer do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them have a mini usb port, they all have MICRO usb, the Kindle cannot have the memory expanded but the Samsung and the Acer can be expanded with a 32gig micro SD card.

If you really want a tablet with a mini USB port you will have to keep looking.

Are there any under £150 that do have a USB port? I suppose I would go with a brand I've never heard of it's as good as those 3 I posted. I don't really want to pay alot, as I will be using it around my 3 year old, so don't want him damaging a good one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can put photos, music, films onto a micro SD card and view/listen on a tablet; obviously providing the tablet has a micro SD card slot which as someone pointed out the Samsung and Acer do.

So if I could do that, I wouldn't need a USB socket. But could I save something from the tablet onto the SD card eg a photo/video clip from the internet or a document that I've typed out (if I can get an app to do that) and then transfer it to my laptop? Having said that, I'm not sure if I can put a micro SD card into my laptop. I can put an SD card in, but I don't think I have a micro SD slot. You can get adapters though, can't you?
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want loads of apps and games a Blackberry Playbook might suit your needs. It's excellent for web surfing, photo viewing and watching videos. For your budget you could get the 64gb version so you wouldn't need an SD card as you could fit everything on the tablet. You could transfer files between your laptop and playbook using the supplied usb cable or transfer them wirelessly over wifi. It has a HDMI out so you can connect it to your TV too.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if I could do that, I wouldn't need a USB socket. But could I save something from the tablet onto the SD card eg a photo/video clip from the internet or a document that I've typed out (if I can get an app to do that) and then transfer it to my laptop? Having said that, I'm not sure if I can put a micro SD card into my laptop. I can put an SD card in, but I don't think I have a micro SD slot. You can get adapters though, can't you?

When you buy a micro SD card sometimes you get an adapter with it..:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want loads of apps and games a Blackberry Playbook might suit your needs. It's excellent for web surfing, photo viewing and watching videos. For your budget you could get the 64gb version so you wouldn't need an SD card as you could fit everything on the tablet. You could transfer files between your laptop and playbook using the supplied usb cable or transfer them wirelessly over wifi. It has a HDMI out so you can connect it to your TV too.

Thanks, that's another one I will consider :)
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Nexus 7 here. It runs Android, has a great quality screen and is fast, smooth and responsive. Kingston Office is a good little office app and is free. It doesn't have a USB slot, but you can get an adapter cable called an On the Go cable, or OTG, for a couple of pounds which will allow you to use a USB memory stick, or even if you want to plug in a USB keyboard or mouse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think it's best to have a 9 inch with 800x480 or 7 inch with 1024x600?
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely the 7 inch. You'll notice the low resolution on that 9 inch.

If you can wait a few more weeks, Google is widely expected to launch a new Nexus 7 at their conference on 15th May. There are two possibilities for what happens next:

1. The new Nexus 7 will go on sale at the same price point. Better, faster tablet for the same low cost.
    2. Not only do they upgrade the Nexus 7 but they also keep the existing model and sell for less, in which case you're getting one of 2012's best tablets for even less.

Worth waiting for either way!
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Take a look at the Nurvo Horizon 10.1, it has good specs and is well under your budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I am now considering a CnM 7 inch 16gb one from Argos for £99 reduced from £120.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I it possible to use google earth on a tablet?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I it possible to use google earth on a tablet?

On android yet it's available in the Google app store