When will 3 Network go to 4G ?

rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any ideas, not heard any mention of them going to 4G like the other big 4 O2 voda EE etc ??

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will use 4G 1800MHz which they bought from EE round about September 2013. They may also bid for 800Mhz and 2.6GHz.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they do, will they have to change their name to 4?
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when they own some spectrum.

so either sept 2013 when they get the 1800 from EE they have purchased, or spring 2013 if they win sub 1ghz in the upcoming auction
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So will they share Network with EE then ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    So will they share Network with EE then ?

They will own their own spectrum on 1800MHz independent from EE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So my iPhone wont get 4G till next year then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my iPhone wont get 4G till next year then

Assuming you are on 3 with an iPhone 5 you wont get 4G on 1800Mhz until September 2013.

The iPhone 5 is not compatible with 4G on 800MHz (LTE Band 20) or 4G on 2.6GHZ (LTE Band 7) which the UK will use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry so the iPhone 5 won't work in Uk on 4G on any network
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry so the iPhone 5 won't work in Uk on 4G on any network

It will work on 1800MHz LTE networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who apart from 3 use that 1800mhz
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE launch 4G in 1800 later this month in a few cities

All the networks have the chance to bid for 800 and 2600 spectrum in the upcoming auctions that will mean those 4G networks going live in the spring of 2013

3 will have 1800 spectrum in sept 2013 which they may or may not use for 4G

the iphone currenty works on 850, 1800 and 2100

personally i would expect to see a revision to the iphone in the spring of 2013 or the likes of Voda and O2 will look to push 3G to 900 and libralise their 2100 for 4G along with any 800 they buy
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who apart from 3 use that 1800mhz
    All the UK networks have 1800MHz spectrum.

3 were the only network without, but they have purchased the 1800 spectrum that EE were told to sell as part of the Orange / T-Mobile merger deal.

O2 and Vodafone don't have much 1800 spectrum though; only a 5.8MHz pair each.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but only EE have enough of 1800 spectrum to use for 4G, and 3 have none currently until they get theres from EE next september
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE launch 4G in 1800 later this month in a few cities

All the networks have the chance to bid for 800 and 2600 spectrum in the upcoming auctions that will mean those 4G networks going live in the spring of 2013

3 will have 1800 spectrum in sept 2013 which they may or may not use for 4G

the iphone currenty works on 850, 1800 and 2100

personally i would expect to see a revision to the iphone in the spring of 2013 or the likes of Voda and O2 will look to push 3G to 900 and libralise their 2100 for 4G along with any 800 they buy

Apple tend not to do revisions of iPhones only exceptions have been CDMA versions or ones aimed at the Chinese market. Band 20 and Band 7 support is unlikely to appear until the 5S hits the streets in September 2013.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dotn recall them ever being in this position before, sure if O2, Voda or both went offering funds they'd soon release a new revision for the UK with the right antenna
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dotn recall them ever being in this position before, sure if O2, Voda or both went offering funds they'd soon release a new revision for the UK with the right antenna

The UK market is tiny compared to the chinese market.

Also tiny compared to the US verison market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The iPhone 5S will be out in September 2013 and O2 and Vodafone wont have 4G on 800Mhz or 2.6GHz until June 2013 at the earliest and will only cover cities that already have great 3G coverage anyway.

Therefore there is little point in Apple doing a revision just for the sake of 3 Months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPhone 5S will be out in September 2013 and O2 and Vodafone wont have 4G on 800Mhz or 2.6GHz until June 2013 at the earliest and will only cover cities that already have great 3G coverage anyway.

Therefore there is little point in Apple doing a revision just for the sake of 3 Months.

thought it was said the other networks will go live end of march
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thought it was said the other networks will go live end of march

The 4G clearance (when DTT multiplexes are moved away from the part of 800MHz to be occupied by 4G LTE on band 20):

Glasgow and Edinburgh April 2013.

Oxford, Waltham London, Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield - May 2013.

So any time on or after these dates. June is a good rule of thumb but no specific dates have been allocated yet.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/02/delivering-4g-mobile-for-consumers/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I have read the following news ..."The introduction of 4G to the UK in October 2012...... Three has licensed existing spectrum from other providers in order to rollout 4G phones on 3."

http://www.store-3.co.uk/3-mobile-4g-network.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read the following news ..."The introduction of 4G to the UK in October 2012...... Three has licensed existing spectrum from other providers in order to rollout 4G phones on 3."

http://www.store-3.co.uk/3-mobile-4g-network.html

That spectrum is the 1800 they have acquired from EE, that is not available to 3 until sept2013
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they do, will they have to change their name to 4?

Years ago when I first joined Three, some of the literature which came with the phone stated that they would still be called Three even when 4G technology becomes available.