Age of consent lowered to 13?

Comments

• copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Does vegetation even HAVE an age of consent?

Maybe it was a cryptic reference to her 'growing a bush'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will never happen in this country .

KILL ALL DIS PEADOFILEZ !
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is. If it is legal to have sex at 16 (irrespective of gender), why is it not legal at that age to buy cigarettes (18), buy drink (18), drive (17) or vote (18)?

Talk about the law being an arse.

Surely the appropriate analogy would be with having a drink (which is what - 5?), since 16 isn't the age at which you can buy sex.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The full transcript of what Barbara Hewson said can be seen here

Whilst I appreciate some of the points she makes, I don't think lowering the age of consent to 13 is the correct way forward.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is. If it is legal to have sex at 16 (irrespective of gender), why is it not legal at that age to buy cigarettes (18), buy drink (18), drive (17) or vote (18)?

Talk about the law being an arse.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that you can exercise control over all the other factors you mention, but not sex. If a girl of 14 wants to have sex with a lad of 17 say, and he wants it too, then no force or law on Earth is ever going to stop them. Plus there will be a multitude of places, times and circumstances enabling them to do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    It worries me that the pier pressure will get to girls who don't want to be sexually active at thirteen.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    It worries me that the pier pressure will get to girls who don't want to be sexually active at thirteen.

water under the bridge.

there was a lot of peer pressure when i was that age in the early seventies, i think it has more to do with hormones and than society.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Peer, dear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Peer, dear.
    OOOps, :eek: typo sorry.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....wouldn't get charged with been paedophiles

They don't anyway. Nowhere in the sexual offences act is the word "paedophile" used - and being a paedophile is not an offence under UK law.

The offences they have been investigated for and/or accused of is either rape or sexual activity with a child.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I sea what you're saying, but let's try to look at this debate objectively and not get too emoceanal.
  • DSCarterDSCarter Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    water under the bridge.

there was a lot of peer pressure when i was that age in the early seventies, i think it has more to do with hormones and than society.

I see what you did there.:D
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that would be consensual the names she gave were men who we know had Non-consensual sex with minors they would still be charged but with rape rather than paedophilia but that wouldn't even count anyway as with both of them the age of some of the girls was under 10.

There is no such charge as "paedophilia"

There's 'real' rape (Section 1)

'Unlawful consent' rape (Section 5)

Consensual sex with a minor when you are over 18 (Section 9)

Consensual sex with a minor when you are under 18 (Section 13) (This is the same as S9 except with a much reduced sentence)

As you can, the law is VERY complicated.

It's not as simple as "if they're under 16, it's rape" as some believe.

That's why the suggestions in the OP aren't too ridiculous. I don't think lowering the AOC is perhaps the best idea, but perhaps better education of the law and definitely better reporting from the media is needed.
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some unusually illuminating comments from readers at the DM:

"this statement is ridiculous the age of consent is 16 for sex the reason that this age is that younger than this young girls dont know what will happen"

"What the hell is wrong with this woman? I hope she is persecuted for being so ignorant and undereducated!"

"The age of consent should be raised to 18 and all paedophiles who are found guilty should be put to death as they cannot be cured."
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Rather than Mail-esque type reactions, perhaps it would do to look at countries where the age of consent is lower to see how they cope?
    They cope by dirty old men's wishes & misogynist attitudes prevailing.
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    They cope by dirty old men's wishes & misogynist attitudes prevailing.
    And yet it's lower in Sweden, which most people would consider to be one of the more enlightened countries when it comes to gender issues...
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    The full transcript of what Barbara Hewson said can be seen here

Whilst I appreciate some of the points she makes, I don't think lowering the age of consent to 13 is the correct way forward.

Hey why read what she actually wrote. when you can read the Daily Mail's selective, agenda-ridden, take on it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »

SICK! And even if it did get brought in it WOULDN'T MAKE IT RIGHT!.
    I am always amazed by the fact that people confuse 'LAW' and 'MORALITY' while something may be 'legal' it doesn't automatically make it 'morally acceptable' Abortion has been Legal in this country for years but I fing it morally repugnant to Kill an unborn child!:(
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    you can stop any crime you like by no longer making it illegal.

but this is just typical Daily Mail tat. you'd think it were government policy rather than just something that one person said.
  • DSCarterDSCarter Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abuse is abuse,rape is rape, at whatever age.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    And yet it's lower in Sweden, which most people would consider to be one of the more enlightened countries when it comes to gender issues...
    There is not a clash between extremes of liberalism and there being a significant proportion of older men who think its their right to have sex with young girls.
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    There is not a clash between extremes of liberalism and there being a significant proportion of older men who think its their right to have sex with young girls.
    Well I'm not necessarily saying it should be changed here. Just correcting the notion you seem to have that the only countries with lower ages of consent than us are that way due to deeply ingrained misogyny. In fact it's often down to pragmatism winning out over dogma.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Age of consent in Europe:

Albania 14
    Austria 14
    Bosnia 14
    Bulgaria 15
    Croatia 15
    Czech republic 15
    Denmark 15
    Estonia 14
    France 15
    Germany 14
    Greece 15
    Hungary 14
    Iceland 14
    Italy 14
    Liechtenstein 14
    Monaco 15
    Montenegro 14
    Poland 15
    Portugal 14
    Romania 15
    San Marino 14
    Serbia 14
    Slovak 15
    Spain 13
    Sweeden 15

As part of the EU, it seems odd that something like age of consent is not the same throughout the area.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Age of consent in Europe:

Albania 14
    Austria 14
    Bosnia 14
    Bulgaria 15
    Croatia 15
    Czech republic 15
    Denmark 15
    Estonia 14
    France 15
    Germany 14
    Greece 15
    Hungary 14
    Iceland 14
    Italy 14
    Liechtenstein 14
    Monaco 15
    Montenegro 14
    Poland 15
    Portugal 14
    Romania 15
    San Marino 14
    Serbia 14
    Slovak 15
    Spain 13
    Sweeden 15

As part of the EU, it seems odd that something like age of consent is not the same throughout the area.
    and turkey = 18. edit: that`s europe the continent.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Rather than Mail-esque type reactions, perhaps it would do to look at countries where the age of consent is lower to see how they cope?

it wasn't a mail-esque reaction, it was a mother of two girls who know at 13 they are still children reaction.