Jessie J leaving the UK

RussJRussJ Posts: 206
Forum Member
Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain? Most of them come back having failed, so is it really worth it?

If this story is true, I wish her well, but I can't help but feel she will be added to the failed list.

:confused:

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussJ wrote: »
    Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain? Most of them come back having failed, so is it really worth it?

If this story is true, I wish her well, but I can't help but feel she will be added to the failed list.

Cheerio then :rolleyes:
  • ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is quite funny because her starpower is dwindling here. No #1 singles from her new album. Her new album is predicted to sell more than half that her debut did in its first week etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't she try and crack the UK first? :D
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can give the Americans the same shit she gives us...The `Be Yourself talk`
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Toodlef**k. Bye-bye.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And don't come back
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly is that site, I've never heard of it before.

And I'm sure that quote is old as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They make it seem like she's just up and leaving to do something new. She has a tour with Robin Thicke next year. She can't really be in the UK when she is on tour. After that, she is doing what she would have done with WYA if she had not broken her foot. Making the rounds around the country. It's almost impossible to have success here without actually being here which is why Ed Sheeran was here for all that time going around the country. The girl isn't abandoning the UK. She is working.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is hardly " rushing off " to the USA !!!. She has had two big hits inthe US , for example Domino is still played on the radio in US , but nothing else has taken off since then . She would be mad not to have another go at the largest music sales market in the World . Good luck to her .
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking America means more money which leads to bigger and longer tours. Wanting to do bigger things is hardly confined to artists. Maybe she just likes the challenge? Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish her Natasha Bedingfield-esque success with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is hardly " rushing off " to the USA !!!. She has had two big hits inthe US , for example Domino is still played on the radio in US , but nothing else has taken off since then . She would be mad not to have another go at the largest music sales market in the World . Good luck to her .

Nothing has taken off because nothing has been released. Wild was out on iTunes, but that's it. It wasnt promoted or sent to radios when it came out. It was just out on iTunes and that was about it. Other than that, the only two songs she has actually released here are Price Tag and Domino. That's it. She sold her album here and reached number 11 I think, just off the back of Price Tag. Domino wasn't released until a while later and that has been the extent of what she has done here. Considering that's all she's released and both singles went platinum, not too shabby for a newcomer.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Let's all help her pack.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness, hope she stays there!
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain?
    It's all about the money, money, money. Jessie wants their money, money, money.
  • PCRosePCRose Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes please.:D
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see ya go!
    Don't bother coming back.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how British artists that actually do crack the US don't need to move over there and if they do it's usually after they crack America and because they like it there... Although I thought Jessie J was kind of known in the US anyway...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain? Most of them come back having failed, so is it really worth it.
    She's already had some success over there, her first album went to #11 and both Price Tag and Domino sold over 1m copies. She was writing for other artists with big producers over there before she launched herself as an artist, so she's always had a connection with the US. It's not surprising that she's looking to build on her success there with this album.

As for why artists go out to the America, it's quite simple: more people = more potential buyers = more money. The US is one of the biggest music markets, it's more financially rewarding than the UK. There are more cities to tour than the UK. It can open a lot of doors. Once you've conquered the US, the world is pretty much your oyster.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick!
    Change the Locks
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not exactly setting the UK charts alight. Her new single is only 10th in iTunes, which isn't great considering that it's pretty radio-friendly. Her previous single got as far as 5th in the charts despite being a lead single with a Dizzie Rascal feature and her album is only 4th on iTunes right now. I think he's been so over-promoted and overexposed to the point that people are getting sick of her because it feels like she's being shoved down our throats.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    tangsman wrote: »
    Glad to see ya go!
    Don't bother coming back.

Let's hope she books a one-way ticket :D
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    She's not exactly setting the UK charts alight. Her new single is only 10th in iTunes, which isn't great considering that it's pretty radio-friendly. Her previous single got as far as 5th in the charts despite being a lead single with a Dizzie Rascal feature and her album is only 4th on iTunes right now. I think he's been so over-promoted and overexposed to the point that people are getting sick of her because it feels like she's being shoved down our throats.

The problem is the songs, Price Tag was a fantastic song, Domino was the musical embodiment of the middle of the road, mid-tempo songs that commercial stations like Capital play...so no wonder it was the most played song on radio last year.

the new singles just aren't of the same quality, Its My Party in particular just sounds like a song Pink turned down!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll be back the year later with her tail between her legs. Trying to win back the UK audience after losing them from spending too much time over there