O2 & Be at Poplar Exchange Earlier than Expected

I recently moved to Canary Wharf and up until Saturday had no real choice of broadband providers other than BT. When I checked Samknows and called O2 directly a month ago, they said that the Poplar exchange was full and it wouldn't be until around March 2009 before O2 would be available. Then Saturday, having gone round and round with the Indian call centre's non-existent support on major speed issues I was experiencing (have been for the last 3 weeks with no resolution), I just happened to check Samknows and there it was: 02 and Be were enabled on the 23rd! I called 02 just to make sure it was not an error and they said they were not sure why the Poplar Exchange opened up either but I could order. To make a long story short, I cancelled my BT contract (no cancellation fees!), got my MAC code and will have 02 installed on the 3rd Sept!

The timing was brilliant in my case as I wanted to go with O2 all along since I'm a mobile customer, they have 24/7 UK customer support, fast speeds and truly unlimited downloads. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the sudden change in date for availability?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    no idea why but do you know how far you are from the exchange??? how fast have you gone for???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Samknows has me as 1100 meters away from the Exchange. I was only able to sign up for the Basic Package which is 8MB down and 1.3 MB up. Fine with me - when you consider the cost difference: 02 at £7.50/month vs BT's Option 3 at £24.99/month, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Can you tell I'm just a tad bit excited?!? :)

A BT Openreach engineer has been out to my flat and said that the lines are clean and his line-tests showed I should be be able to get 7.5 MB down easily. With BT at the moment (while I wait for 02 to be installed), I'm lucky to get 512 kbps except at like 4:30 in the morning.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i'll be interested to see what you get in the end. my best guess is you'll get the full 8Meg no trouble at all.

the process with O2 is really slick. no messing about. they seem to do what they say, when they say it.
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i'll be interested to see what you get in the end. my best guess is you'll get the full 8Meg no trouble at all.

the process with O2 is really slick. no messing about. they seem to do what they say, when they say it.

This is my First ADSL2 Provider & I think I'll be sticking with them!

It was easy as pie to join them.

OP: I'm sure you'll enjoy O2/Be* as much as I do (And many other forum members!)