Hairline crack in front tooth

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
Forum Member
I bashed myself in the tooth 2 weeks ago a glass, thought nothing of it really. As it's it's been cold thought that's why my tooth has been sensitive (I have pretty sensitive teeth normally.) However on very very close inspection I can see a tiny crack in the 'glaze' of my one of my teeth (the left big front tooth) :eek:

I haven't been to the dentist in ages, just due to cost but just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? What will the dentist do or is there nothing they can do? I mean the crack is tiny, would and if they filled it surely really noticable. I can't tell if my tooth is sensitive beacuse of this, but now I've seen it there it seems to hurt now :mad: I've never had a filling or anything, always done ok with the teeth.

Bit worried, my mouth & teeth are very noticable :D some peoples are less (like my OH's mouth, it's tiny & you barely see his teeth when he talks) but my teeth are big :D

Of course I will go to the dentist but just worried about what & how much !! (rummages down back of sofa for pennies)

hmmmm

Comments

• whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think dentistry is something you should be skimping on, I would therefore suggest you make an appointment asap, before it gets worse...and more expensive.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few hairline cracks in mine (the result of headbutting the floor and chipping it) but I just thought sod it, if it does get worse I'll have it seen to but the past ten years it's been just fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get it checked out by a dentist. But there's nothing you can do really, apart from being careful like when eating apples and things like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    i had a v small crack in my front tooth,had it filled in at the dentist, think was £35 .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would advise that you register at a dentist NHS for a check-up. When teeth are knocked, banged etc, the nerve may become bruised or damaged so damage might not just be what you can see.

Dentist will more than likely take an X-ray of the tooth to asses whether there is any infection, or fractures anywhere to that tooth and the teeth next to it. Then there are options, but this will depend on the result of the x-ray - if no abnormalities are found then the dentist can paint a gloss over the tooth in an attempt to seal it over the crack, and keep it under review.

However if something is found on Xray and depending on sypmtoms that may occur in the future (swellling, discolourastion, pain on pressure) tooth may need a root canal treatment and crown. Max cost for this on NHS is £198, however if dentist just wants to do a checkup and paint a gloss over the tooth it will be £16.50.

good luck
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go to the dentist and get it seen to :)

I go to the dentist at least every 6 months for a check up (less if my teeth need a polish) - its not that expensive if you go regularly and keep on top of it :)
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missloo wrote: »
    go to the dentist and get it seen to :)

I go to the dentist at least every 6 months for a check up (less if my teeth need a polish) - its not that expensive if you go regularly and keep on top of it :)

I think an NHS checkup is about £16.50 these days, and most people probably don't need to go more than once a year if they take care of their teeth, although most dentists say every 6 months. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, I guess - don't go to dentist because of relatively small cost, teeth disintegrate, have to go to dentist because of pain, very large cost!
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had hairline cracks in a couple of my front teeth for several years and my dentist has never mentioned them at any of my 6 monthly check ups, so I assume mine are harmless.

Hopefully that could be the same with the OP's, but maybe you should get your teeth checked.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    I have had hairline cracks in a couple of my front teeth for several years and my dentist has never mentioned them at any of my 6 monthly check ups, so I assume mine are harmless.

Hopefully that could be the same with the OP's, but maybe you should get your teeth checked.

If the OP really doesn't want to go to the dentist, try Sensodyne toothpaste for a while. If the sensitivity goes, chances are it wasn't anything significant. If it's still there, see a dentist. The almost-invisible crack could have been there for yonks and the OP's only just notice it.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get yourself to the dentist and get your teeth checked OP.

There really isn't any other answer.

As for "cost" putting you off, I would wager that you will spend less on your teeth this year than you will on your mobile phone, your Sky TV subscription, your cigarettes (these are just examples!) or any of the other non-essential things you spend your money on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I have a crack in one of my front teeth and my dentist has never mentioned it as it never causes issues - I also use arm and hammer enamel care as my teeth used to be sensitive (it is v good) I would try that for a week or so to see if it improves the sensitivity if not you may have to bite the bullet and see a dentist only because it is much easier to fix teeth earlier than later
    I think that they paint the tooth with flouride when they do it mine gave me some pink toothpast to use three times a day for a week for sensitivity and he said it was almost pure flouride!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Blahgirl wrote: »
    I would advise that you register at a dentist NHS for a check-up. Max cost for this on NHS is £198, however if dentist just wants to do a checkup and paint a gloss over the tooth it will be £16.50.

good luck

:eek: i earn min wage .....my dentist is not NHS :( he was once, I'll see whether he can advise me of how to get an NHS one!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Get yourself to the dentist and get your teeth checked OP.

There really isn't any other answer.

As for "cost" putting you off, I would wager that you will spend less on your teeth this year than you will on your mobile phone, your Sky TV subscription, your cigarettes (these are just examples!) or any of the other non-essential things you spend your money on!

Zero would be ideal !!! Oh and my mobile phone is £36 which I use for the web too, I do not have sky or cable, I do not smoke, I don't have a car, I do not do much, I can't afford to have disposable income i'm trying to move into my own place :cry:
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeMeowWoof wrote: »
    Oh and my mobile phone is £36 which I use for the web too

£36 per month or £36 per year?

If the latter, please tell me how to get such a contract!

If the former, your yearly bill will come to more than your dental fees to sort this problem out.
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one too and pointed it out to my dentist and he said not to worry about it, It shouldn't get worse.