Beckham to donate salary to charity

Comments

• riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who are running marathons for charity are ordinary people raising perhaps a few hundred pounds. There's too many people running in them to publicise them all.

Beckham is a multi millionaire whose every fart will cause publicity, and no more so than the press conference today which gives him centre stage to say: 'What a good soul I am!'.

Even if that is the case there will be some ordinary people who will fund raise to say the same thing to those who are local: 'What a good soul I am!'. It is just that is said on a smaller scale because they are not a celebrity.

To me, David Beckham is no different to any other person raising/ giving money to charity because I do not personally know him. So I have no idea if he is doing this for the publicity or not. I'm just focusing on the charity aspect which is the main thing. If he wants to use it as a publicity stunt that's fine with me. I'm just not going to be miserable about it. :)
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I'm confused isn't he giving the money to a French charity as he has no plans to relocate to France (I am sure there are other more covert reasons too). I thought the Beckhams were back in England now or are they all returning to L.A soon. If that's the case will he be commuting from L.A to France?
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rianne wrote: »
    If he wants to use it as a publicity stunt that's fine with me. I'm just not going to be miserable about it. :)

Not nice, or indeed charitable to flaunt your 'goodness' and that imo, is what Beckham is doing in a major way.
    And I assure you, I'm far from miserable. ;)
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I'm confused isn't he giving the money to a French charity as he has no plans to relocate to France (I am sure there are other more covert reasons too). I thought the Beckhams were back in England now or are they all returning to L.A soon. If that's the case will he be commuting from L.A to France?

He's renting a house in West London apparently. They're done with L.A.

It was bound to happen.
    Forum Member
    He's renting a house in West London apparently. They're done with L.A.

It was bound to happen.[/QUOTE]

thanks I get so confused with all the stories. I thought I recalled Vicky saying L.A was home now and they had no plans to return to U.K. Then I saw pics of her in a London chippy with son after football practice. I thought she may be back off to L.A with the children soon while David remains in London which could bring some interesting stories:D
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not nice, or indeed charitable to flaunt your 'goodness' and that imo, is what Beckham is doing in a major way.

I fully agree it's a horrible trait and there are people who I know who do that.
    And I assure you, I'm far from miserable. ;)

I'm glad to hear that :p
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Mr Beckham.

Not sure if people know how charity donations work. If one earns 3.5 million they pay tax on it and keep the rest. If one gives 3.5 million to charity they don't pay tax on the 3.5 million, but they have still given 3.5 million away.

They would be quids in if they paid the tax on the 3.5 million and pissed the rest up against the wall.

Therefore giving 3.5 million is a very generous gesture and should be applauded not judged.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for you. You come across as mean spirited and jealous in every post you've made. It must be awful to go through life with such negativity.
    And don't bother lecturing me about anything, I'm a born Pollyanna who'd rather see the good in people and a glass half full.

:) Life is so much better that way. You're welcome to your cynicism.

Please don't feel sorry for me. Just because I have an opinion different from yours doesn't mean you can judge me, but never mind ;)
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    First of all its buttons to him......so its no big loss.....I bet he gets paid that for standing in his jocks modeling !

Might be buttons to him, but it's a hell of a lot more to the charity it's going to.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be buttons to him, but it's a hell of a lot more to the charity it's going to.

..... Whoever they may be :rolleyes:

You'd have thought they'd have at least anticipated people would want to know which charity the money is going to
    Forum Member
    Well done Mr Beckham.

Not sure if people know how charity donations work. If one earns 3.5 million they pay tax on it and keep the rest. If one gives 3.5 million to charity they don't pay tax on the 3.5 million, but they have still given 3.5 million away.

They would be quids in if they paid the tax on the 3.5 million and pissed the rest up against the wall.

Therefore giving 3.5 million is a very generous gesture and should be applauded not judged.

well said BIB and all the rest
    some people are moaning it's a French charity I think:D
    and that it's all for a Knighthood, seems bizarre logic IMO.
    (ps nobody has asked about Rolls Royces on JS thread for ages:()
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Fair play to him; hope this sets a precedent. Would like to see the likes of Rooney and Ashley Cole following suit - but I won't hold my breath.

Yes. Of all the things Beckham is, i do think he is a good father.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    well said BIB and all the rest
    some people are moaning it's a French charity I think:D
    and that it's all for a Knighthood, seems bizarre logic IMO.
    (ps nobody has asked about Rolls Royces on JS thread for ages:()

Hows you whatever54?:D

It's cos the year of the roller can't be disputed, in spite of ferocious googling.:D
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Yes. Of all the things Beckham is, i do think he is a good father.

When he's not 'playing away'.........:sleep:
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW I do think it probably is bit of a stunt.

I have the view that DB, even for his (alleged) roving eye, is a pretty decent chap, but is led into various publicity seeking capers by Victoria. This being one.

But I am sure the cause(s) that benefit won't give a toss about that, so who I am I to poo poo it.

By certain accounts, it was VB that pressured him into playing in the US, in order to help her profile.

Now he can finish his career in a reasonably credible league, VB gets some collateral publicity, and causes benefit from that along the way.

Win-Win as I see it.:)
    Forum Member
    Hows you whatever54?:D

It's cos the year of the roller can't be disputed, in spite of ferocious googling
    .:D

All ok thanks thanks Essex, how's you?

This Beckham bashing is typical but sad. If he took the wage and paid the tax whilst living in UK I can guess what the papers stories would be. Look at him not living in France to avoid their supertaxes etc. I think it's a great gesture by him and no small amount of money. I now like to think John Terry, Frank Lampard, Rooney etc are being as generous but secretively ;)

I still hope somebody will ask as I used to enjoy your answers. I wonder what happened to him (there may have been 2 boys, I got confused with the changing stories). Also that man from the Cook Report (I think you said he tried to make a flying machine:D) he's gone quiet
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    I think it's more a case he's training with them til the summer when he'll make a return to England with West ham. His family are now based in London afterall and West Ham will be moving into the glitzy Olympic stadium in a few years.

He'll be 38 in the summer.Why doesn't he just summon up some rare dignity and call it a day?
    Yes that is a rhetorical question.:sleep:
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    He'll be 38 in the summer.Why doesn't he just summon up some rare dignity and call it a day?

I can't keep up with this Beckham knocking, makes no odds to me what he does with his career or money. So he could retire or keep at it for 6 months and get £3.5m for a charity. Which would seem worse, hmmmm.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for you. You come across as mean spirited and jealous in every post you've made. It must be awful to go through life with such negativity.
    And don't bother lecturing me about anything, I'm a born Pollyanna who'd rather see the good in people and a glass half full.

:) Life is so much better that way. You're welcome to your cynicism.

With respect, everyone is entitled to their opinions - both positive and negative. I personally am not a fan of the Beckhams but I do think he is doing a good thing here. That aside, I can totally understand people's cynicism and don't think it's necessary to make personal attacks on other FM's.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because he still feels he can play well. Teddy Sheringham didn't retire until he was 42, so some players do continue longer.

Beckham even joked in the press conference yesterday that he didn't feel that he'd lost any pace as he didn't have much to start with! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Page four, so I assume the 75% tax on income, great PR, and final push for that Kinghthood arguments have already been made?

That's pretty much where I am with it, but we know he's going to get the Knighthood sooner or later, some French kids charities may as well get a few million out of it. This will probably bump him up the queue ahead of Barlow.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    When he's not 'playing away'.........:sleep:

:rolleyes: If a good mother or father were decided on if you were faithful in a relationship there wouldn't be many good parents around.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glinny wrote: »
    Why did he have to make his charitable gesture so public?
    If he wanted to do something like that just do it privately.

There are plenty of wealthy people who do this sort of thing all the time anomously without any fuss or the look at me look what I have done.

Appears to me he will do anything to make himself look like Mr Wonderful - is he so desperate for the title Sir David Beckham and the miserable looking wife of his Lady Beckham.

Exactly. I was thinking the same while I was watching it on the news. It's all well and good giving to charity, but I guess some people just like to blow their own trumpet and broadcast it.

There have been well-known celebrities whose donations to charity were not made known until they had died - it's those types I mostly admire.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Exactly. I was thinking the same while I was watching it on the news. It's all well and good giving to charity, but I guess some people just like to blow their own trumpet and broadcast it.

There have been well-known celebrities whose donations to charity were not made known until they had died - it's those type I mostly admire.

Because by doing this he's raising the awareness of the charity. Why else do charities try to have a famous face linked? Elton John doesn't get ripped to pieces for doing so much for AIDS awareness does he?
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, of course, gives him a £3.6m tax credit against sponsorship deals which might otherwise attract France's now penally high upper tax band, no? People are very naive!

I tend to agree that Monsieur Taxman had something to do with it, but the cash may as well go to a good cause instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    How typical of Beckham to make sure people know he's doing that. Pure PR with no interest for anyone but himself and his 'brand'.

All Barcelona players donate 10% of their salaries. Don't hear them going on about it, do you?