Acceptable limit for unlimited data?

asmasm Posts: 152
Forum Member
Since the ASA decided that 'unlimited' actually means exactly the same as 'limited' we have all come to accept that unlimited plans always come with an FUP, but how low can the FUP limit be before it is no longer considered unlimited? I ask because I noticed yesterday that one virtual network operator is advertising 800 minutes + unlimited texts + unlimited data for £20 (PAYG). But the small print hidden away on another page says the FUP allows 3000 texts and 1GB data per month, which means that this 'unlimited' plan actually allows less data than some limited plans, which makes the 'unlimited' description even more meaningless.

Comments

• mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    Well, unlimited should mean exactly that. The phone operators shouldn't be allowed to advertise it as such if there is a cap on the amount of usage.

It's like going to an AYCE buffet and being told you can't have any more after your fifth plate full.

The ASA have fudged it. They had an opportunity to nail them on something like this, but they failed. What is the point of the ASA if they can't do their job properly?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    asm wrote: »
    Since the ASA decided that 'unlimited' actually means exactly the same as 'limited' we have all come to accept that unlimited plans always come with an FUP, but how low can the FUP limit be before it is no longer considered unlimited? I ask because I noticed yesterday that one virtual network operator is advertising 800 minutes + unlimited texts + unlimited data for £20 (PAYG). But the small print hidden away on another page says the FUP allows 3000 texts and 1GB data per month, which means that this 'unlimited' plan actually allows less data than some limited plans, which makes the 'unlimited' description even more meaningless.

Which network was this?
  • asmasm Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Currently being advertised on a poster in some 99P Stores. The FUP is here:
    http://www2.nowmobile.co.uk/nowmobile/pdf/Offers.pdf
    Forum Member

Yep, quite misleading.

Although at least they put "fair use policy applies" in writing unlike some other MVNO's/Networks *Cough* Virgin Mobile *Cough*

There are too many ways around this now and the ASA need to clamp down. Virgin get around it by restricting your speed when you exceed the fair use policy. So they can get away with calling it unlimited.

T-Mobile cap speeds at all times and have a strict P2P throttling hours yet they still get away with calling it unlimited.

Three is the only one along with Giff Gaff who give truly unlimited data and explain everything you need to know on the main page.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin get around it by restricting your speed when you exceed the fair use policy. So they can get away with calling it unlimited.

Virgin limit download speed to 384kbs after you use around 3.5gb of Data. I'm still not sure how this can be determined as being unlimited in the fairest sense, when there is only a certain amount of data you can possibly download, even if you were to download continuously for a 30 day period when network limited to 384kbs compared to somebody downloading for the same period on a truely uncapped 2, 4 or 6mbs connection.

If a mast / area is congested and can only supply each connected subscriber with 384kb/s then fair enough, but physically limiting a connection speed isn't fair game IMO. If you are on an unlimited package you should be able to download at the maximum speed available to you at that time, rather than having the maximum download speed determined by some FUP

So technically, they are physically limiting the amount of data you can possibly consume for the remainder of the period once the 3.5gb has been used and the network cap of 384kbs kicks in.

One good thing about the FUP on some T-Mobile Sims, is that once you go over the FUP its only downloading and streaming which is prevented, you can still browse the internet at the highest possible speed available to you.

With Virgin, even browsing is throttled if you exceed the FUP, and 384kbs is far too limited, thats significantly slower than the first 512k ADSL connection I had 13 years ago.
    Forum Member
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    Virgin limit download speed to 384kbs after you use around 3.5gb of Data. I'm still not sure how this can be determined as being unlimited in the fairest sense, when there is only a certain amount of data you can possibly download, even if you were to download continuously for a 30 day period when network limited to 384kbs compared to somebody downloading for the same period on a truely uncapped 2, 4 or 6mbs connection.

If a mast / area is congested and can only supply each connected subscriber with 384kb/s then fair enough, but physically limiting a connection speed isn't fair game IMO. If you are on an unlimited package you should be able to download at the maximum speed available to you at that time, rather than having the maximum download speed determined by some FUP

So technically, they are physically limiting the amount of data you can possibly consume for the remainder of the period once the 3.5gb has been used and the network cap of 384kbs kicks in.

One good thing about the FUP on some T-Mobile Sims, is that once you go over the FUP its only downloading and streaming which is prevented, you can still browse the internet at the highest possible speed available to you.

With Virgin, even browsing is throttled if you exceed the FUP, and 384kbs is far too limited, thats significantly slower than the first 512k ADSL connection I had 13 years ago.

As of Feb 2013 this does not apply. If you exceed your data limit you'll be charged now.

For people who signed up before Feb 2013 then they can go over the data allowance, but like you said no downloading or streaming. Just browsing. Also speeds have been restricted to something like 1mbps as well i think.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Well, unlimited should mean exactly that. The phone operators shouldn't be allowed to advertise it as such if there is a cap on the amount of usage.

It's like going to an AYCE buffet and being told you can't have any more after your fifth plate full.

The ASA have fudged it. They had an opportunity to nail them on something like this, but they failed. What is the point of the ASA if they can't do their job properly?

The Unlimited must mean unlimited argument is a well done one.

it is actually counter productive. no mobile network can offer unlimited data. it's just not possible.

so the argument would be that they shouldn't be able to call it unlimited.

the problem is that most people don't know what mobile data limits actually mean. most people wont know whether 5KB, 5MB a month or 5GB or 5TB is enough for them. so by providing them with more information you actually, perversely, reduce their knowledge.

What they want to know is that as an average person they can use as much data as they like and not be charged.

as such in the context of this, if the unlimited data FUP is such that 1% or less are affected by it then that should be fine.
  • dephanix02dephanix02 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Since March last year I've used 147GB so I think it's fair to say Three are 100% committed to being unlimited. That is mainly from ITunes Match.
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlimited shouldn't have a "fair usage" limit.

The only plan I know that is true unlimited with no restrication at all was the Orange iphone extra 51 plan - it also specifically stated no fair usage limit applies and that also applied to the tethering.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acceptable limit for unlimited data - isn't that an oxymoron?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Always been a disgrace going back to broadband days unlimited should be that or not be used. Shocking they should be allowed to call it such.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Always been a disgrace going back to broadband days unlimited should be that or not be used. Shocking they should be allowed to call it such.

What would you call it?

'Almost, but not quite unlimited if you want to sit downloading torrents all day' broadband? :D
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    The Unlimited must mean unlimited argument is a well done one.

it is actually counter productive. no mobile network can offer unlimited data. it's just not possible.

so the argument would be that they shouldn't be able to call it unlimited.

the problem is that most people don't know what mobile data limits actually mean. most people wont know whether 5KB, 5MB a month or 5GB or 5TB is enough for them. so by providing them with more information you actually, perversely, reduce their knowledge.

What they want to know is that as an average person they can use as much data as they like and not be charged.

as such in the context of this, if the unlimited data FUP is such that 1% or less are affected by it then that should be fine.
    Well, that's like saying Sky/BT can't offer an unlimited package because there is only so much you can get through in one month. Plus, I may get through more than you as my home BB is faster than yours, or vice versa. So, because I can get through more than you, they can't call it unlimited.

To put an FUP on something brnded as 'unlimited' is frankly absurd. If the FUP is 10GB, then advertise it as 10GB, not as 'unlimited'.
    Forum Member
    To put an FUP on something brnded as 'unlimited' is frankly absurd. If the FUP is 10GB, then advertise it as 10GB, not as 'unlimited'.

But I am on BTs 'Unlimited' and find it great and not as restrictive as a proper cap.

If there was a limit of say 40GB then I could never go over it without paying.

With it being 'unlimited' I can one month download 120GB and not worry.

Much prefer it how it is.

The only people that will have a problem with it is someone that runs their PC 24/7 downloading which is not the norm and anyone that wants to do that should move to an appropriate service.
  • asmasm Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

Are you saying that 99% of people use less than 1GB?
    Forum Member

no I'm absolutely not saying that.

I'm saying that it is a reasonable criteria for what unlimited may mean. I have no idea what the 99th percentile is.
    Forum Member
    Well, that's like saying Sky/BT can't offer an unlimited package because there is only so much you can get through in one month. Plus, I may get through more than you as my home BB is faster than yours, or vice versa. So, because I can get through more than you, they can't call it unlimited.

No it's not. It's nothing like that.

And i thought I did a reasonable job of explaining why saying 10GB was actually not useful for the majority of consumers. I am obviously mistaken.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

It wouldn't surprise me. I consider myself a fairly heavy user of the internet on a phone, but I rarely exceed 1GB. I know for certain my wife uses less than 50MB per month. Really it all comes down to whether you are a user of streaming services, the average person is not.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me. I consider myself a fairly heavy user of the internet on a phone, but I rarely exceed 1GB. I know for certain my wife uses less than 50MB per month. Really it all comes down to whether you are a user of streaming services, the average person is not.

Explain this then, here's my usage. I actually have an allowance of 2 1/2Gigs, which is brilliant as it's just right for me. I get really good speeds too, which means my downloads and podcasts are fast.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2mczl2v.jpg
    http://oi43.tinypic.com/2qa6yj5.jpg
    http://oi43.tinypic.com/dncch0.jpg

The average smartphone customer doesn't use rich video and audio you're saying? they don't use tune-in radio, number 3 most popular app on the Android play store?

They don't use the browser to stream things or use the Youtube app that comes pre-installed on virtually every phone?

Even just email, skype, facebook sync, photo uploads, dropbox and app store downloads and updates uses data.

Your usage seems very light to me, typical of maybe an O2 user or somebody that has had to 'make do' with a 500MB or 750MB allowance and hasn't used half of the function of their smartphone.

As you can see I'm using my phone for all sorts of useful things, Skype 90M, email 60M maps 100M etc
    Forum Member
    ThineWonk - are you trying to say that you are an average person?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    ThineWonk - are you trying to say that you are an average person?

I'm trying to say that it's a smartphone, why would tune-in radio be the third most popular app if the average smartphone user didn't stream. Youtube comes installed as standard.

The average 3 network user uses over 1.5GB, that's from Three. I'm challenging tdenson's statement that the average user doesn't stream and uses hardly any data. that may be true with some of the tiny allowances and older / less tech savvy customers, but with Three / EE customers it's definitely not the case.

I'm challenging the statement that you have to stream to use data too, if you look at my screenshots you'll see what my data was used on, and a lot of it wasn't streaming, it was a variety of smartphone apps, many of which are in the top10, email, flipboard, Skype, Youtube, listen, tune-in etc.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Your usage seems very light to me, typical of maybe an O2 user or somebody that has had to 'make do' with a 500MB or 750MB allowance and hasn't used half of the function of their smartphone.

Shows just how easy it is to jump to wrong conclusions then. I have to "make do" with the Three One plan (truly unlimited) on my HTC One, and 3GB of LTE data on my iPhone 5.

However, I have no desire to watch video on a 4" screen (that's what my TV is for) and audio media I consume (mainly podcasts and audio books) tends to get downloaded when I am at home with wifi.
    What I will agree with is that a lot of people don't use half of the function of their smartphone, that is my whole point.
    You have to accept that by definition people on this forum are unusual. Most phone users I know (ordinary men/women in the street) have no interest in technology, rarely download apps and mainly use their phone for texting.
    It would be interesting to see the stats from the network providers, but of course that is classified information as it would reveal what a killing they are actually making on data because the average user is using so little.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The average 3 network user uses over 1.5GB, that's from Three.

I can believe that, for the very reason that Three market themselves as the network to go to if you want to use a lot of data.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Shows just how easy it is to jump to wrong conclusions then. I have to "make do" with the Three One plan (truly unlimited) on my HTC One, and 3GB of LTE data on my iPhone 5.

However, I have no desire to watch video on a 4" screen (that's what my TV is for) and audio media I consume (mainly podcasts and audio books) tends to get downloaded when I am at home with wifi.
    What I will agree with is that a lot of people don't use half of the function of their smartphone, that is my whole point.
    You have to accept that by definition people on this forum are unusual. Most phone users I know (ordinary men/women in the street) have no interest in technology, rarely download apps and mainly use their phone for texting.
    It would be interesting to see the stats from the network providers, but of course that is classified information as it would reveal what a killing they are actually making on data because the average user is using so little.

A lot of people do 'make do' on O2 plans with very limited data because they don't realise there are deals with more data or are remaining loyal to a brand they've been with for ages before smartphones really took off.

The average 3 network user uses 1.5GB of data. Amongst people wanting mobile data connections they do want to download quite a bit. I know this isn't the same for all networks.

A lot of networks still have only 50% of their users on 2G non smartphones. However of those that choose smartphones and choose the better networks there's millions of people out there using 1.5gigs or more a month streaming and using them for lots of services.

Skype has 100 million downloads on android smartphones for example. Youtube comes installed on pretty much every smartphone.