Has a celebrity on Twitter ever disappointed you with their behaviour?

Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
Forum Member
This thread is inspired by the topic about The Wanted's fued with 1D, but also by the fact that I've just unfollowed Mark Gatiss due to his really nasty comments following Thatcher's death. Now, obviously celebs are entitled to express opinions like everyone else but when these celebs are working professionals who set something of an example to people due to their media presence I do think they should be able to be mature enough to think about what they're saying.

I'm actually really considering ditching Twitter (and Facebook) as although it can be useful, I find it's showing me a side of people I'd rather not see.

I'd hate to be a celebrity in this age of social media. At least as a "regular" person I don't feel like I have to promote myself unless I want to.

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #FollowsMarkGatiss.

To be serious, yeah often, but that's the whole point of twitter, so easy to unfollow. No fuss, no muss.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Caitlin Moran but she made a ridiculously blase comment when the whole thing with Oscar Pistorius happened which made me lose a lot of respect for her. She did apologise later, to be fair.

I mostly tend to unfollow celebrities due to excessive retweets/promotional tweets rather than nasty behaviour, though. I guess I don't really follow people that provoke a lot of drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking to Piers Morgan is a good reason to unfollow I find, and someone that tweets endless praise of themself. Narcistically dull.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    yeah Lord Sugar praising Thatcher was enough for me to unfollow him
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    double post
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Most of them probably have. lol

As the old saying goes - you should never meet your heroes.
    The modern version could be - you should never follow your heroes on twitter.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I'm not on facebook and don't use Twitter so I don't see the majority of all this stuff unless it's posted on here. But in the 1D/Wanted thread you mentioned, someone wrote a post saying something like they all seem more boring now social networking is the norm because you see how immature some of them really are.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I unfollowed Caitlin Moran once i realised that she is a) not very funny, b) quite full of her own self importance and c) extremely rude

I also follow Louise Mensch and she annoys me everyday.... i may have to unfollow her soon too.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    This thread is inspired by the topic about The Wanted's fued with 1D, but also by the fact that I've just unfollowed Mark Gatiss due to his really nasty comments following Thatcher's death. Now, obviously celebs are entitled to express opinions like everyone else but when these celebs are working professionals who set something of an example to people due to their media presence I do think they should be able to be mature enough to think about what they're saying.

I'm actually really considering ditching Twitter (and Facebook) as although it can be useful, I find it's showing me a side of people I'd rather not see.

I'd hate to be a celebrity in this age of social media. At least as a "regular" person I don't feel like I have to promote myself unless I want to.

I haven't seen anything 'really nasty' from Mark Gatiss. :confused:
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    I unfollowed Caitlin Moran once i realised that she is a) not very funny, b) quite full of her own self importance and c) extremely rude

I also follow Louise Mensch and she annoys me everyday.... i may have to unfollow her soon too.

I unfollowed Caitlin Moran for the same reason.

Also John Prescott for his excessive retweeting.

Mark Gatiss because of his sychophantic followers

And Lewis Hamilton for tweeting gibberish.
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything 'really nasty' from Mark Gatiss. :confused:

It depends on whether you think celebrating someone's death is cool or not, I suppose?
    Forum Member
    Also, so this doesn't become just yet another Thatcher related thread, I unfollowed Stephen Fry ages ago for being dull as ditchwater. I like his work on TV but on Twitter he's a snoozefest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on whether you think celebrating someone's death is cool or not, I suppose?

He did nothing of the sort. He made a statement of fact - at least that's all I saw. :confused: He said something like 'I remember being told she was gone - now she really has'. How is that celebratory? It could be taken however one wishes.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Most of them probably have. lol

As the old saying goes - you should never meet your heroes.
    The modern version could be - you should never follow your heroes on twitter.

I couldn't agree less with either!

I've been lucky enough to meet a few famous people I really like and they've been really nice. Likewise I've had replies and 'favourites' on Twitter; most of the people I follow seem to be really lovely, and I actually end up liking them more than ever!

One person who did disapoint me on Twitter was Laura Hamilton - she cancelled some shows she had signed up to appear in and didn't apologise until several days afterwards, meaning that people went expecting to see her and were disapointed. She did a similar thing again a few months later so I unfollowed her.
    Forum Member
    He did nothing of the sort. He made a statement of fact - at least that's all I saw. :confused: He said something like 'I remember being told she was gone - now she really has'. How is that celebratory? It could be taken however one wishes.

He also gleefully reminisced about her leaving Downing St all those years ago in 1991. The tweets came across as smug and mocking. But different people may see it differently, I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He also gleefully reminisced about her leaving Downing St all those years ago in 1991. The tweets came across as smug and mocking. But different people may see it differently, I guess.

I see he has since made a self-deprecating (hardly gleeful) post about him watching her resignation by himself when rolling news was still a novelty. He doesn't say he enjoyed it - merely that he remembers the day. Many people do. I see no issue there - most of the country were happy to see her go by the end of her tenure - including her own party. It's a matter of public record, whether one agreed with her, in hindsight, or not.

I think you're being a touch oversensitive about what he said - however, it's your prerogative to read into his comments what you wish. I HAVE seen some genuinely nasty stuff about her, though, which is a shame (and I'm absolutely no fan of her politics or legacy - I just don't see the need for celebration of death).
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, so this doesn't become just yet another Thatcher related thread, I unfollowed Stephen Fry ages ago for being dull as ditchwater. I like his work on TV but on Twitter he's a snoozefest.

me too,

I also stopped following joan Collins after 2 weeks as all she did was RT compliments from others to her:yawn: all the time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see he has since made a self-deprecating (hardly gleeful) post about him watching her resignation by himself when rolling news was still a novelty. He doesn't say he enjoyed it - merely that he remembers the day. Many people do. I see no issue there - most of the country were happy to see her go by the end of her tenure - including her own party. It's a matter of public record, whether one agreed with her, in hindsight, or not.

I think you're being a touch oversensitive about what he said - however, it's your prerogative to read into his comments what you wish. I HAVE seen some genuinely nasty stuff about her, though, which is a shame (and I'm absolutely no fan of her politics or legacy - I just don't see the need for celebration of death).

Yeah, I don't really see what he said can be seen as unpleasant.

#unfollowsMarkGatiss
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Ricky Gervais, I just find his constant God talk annoying in the extreme, I get he is an atheist - most people are these days including myself but I don't need to read the same old same old from him. So it's not so much disappointing behaviour as it is just dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ricky Gervais, I just find his constant God talk annoying in the extreme, I get he is an atheist - most people are these days including myself but I don't need to read the same old same old from him. So it's not so much disappointing behaviour as it is just dull.

Yes, agree with this, it's so one-note. I'm an agnostic, I have no wish for this constant diatribe.

He also talks to Piers, so double the reason to unfollow.
    Forum Member

I think we're going to have to disagree here, if you don't mind. :)

Still, the thread is proving to be an interesting read. Certainly more interesting than the things some people post on Twitter! :D
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I don't really see what he said can be seen as unpleasant.

#unfollowsMarkGatiss

It came across as gloating to me, but I'm happy to disagree with those who see differently.
    Forum Member

I can't stand Ricky Gervais anyway but I would be very quick t unfollow anyone who either

A) Goes on about how much God/Jesus loves you
    B) Goes on anti-religious tirades day in, day out

Both extremes are tedious as ****
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really?? Ive just had a look & either hes deleted a load of stuff or you're really sensitive.

Re: Thatchers death... Mark Gatiss is a comedian. Comedians (mostly) hate the Tories. Hence comedians will be rude to Thatcher on the day of her death.

If anti Thatcher comments annoy anyone I suggest people avoid Twitter over the next few days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel Gibson - very disappointed that he doesn't post manic rants on Twitter.