Marcia Wallace (voice of Edna) has died

LMLM Posts: 63,327
Forum Member
✭✭
Marcia Wallace has sadly died at aged 70. She voiced schoolteacher Edna in The Simpsons, for which she won an emmy.

This is so sad. A great character. One of my fav things about The Simpsons has always been the love/hate relationship between her and Bart.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's so sad!

I wonder if this will mean that Edna is the one who will be killed off soon!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised a lady of 70 voiced that character.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the show is 25 years old. She was 46 when she started, which is about the same as the character.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/marcia-wallace-star-of-the-bob-newhart-show-and-voice-of-mrs-krabappel-dies-at-71-1200764197/

Edna isn't the one who dies, according to Al Jean. Also, we will find out who dies as that episodes airs in two weeks.
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news - a great voice for an important supporting character.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Edna - can retire her like they did with Phil Hartman's characters? I think she's too important for that, so it would need to be a re-casting I guess, unless one of the other regulars want to take the role on.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Sad News- I love her voice on The Simpsons. She always made me laugh.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dxfatass wrote: »
    Sad news - a great voice for an important supporting character.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Edna - can retire her like they did with Phil Hartman's characters? I think she's too important for that, so it would need to be a re-casting I guess, unless one of the other regulars want to take the role on.

If you read the article, Al Jean said they are going to retire the character.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,929
    Forum Member
    Sad news, Edna was a great character voiced perfectly by Marcia Wallace. It is sad that Edna will be no more as confirmed by the Simpson's production team, Cancer is such a horrible illness and Marcia is a sad loss, best wishes to her friends and family.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When was the last time the simpsons got a permenantly new character?

It's nice that they are retiring her but Bart's class will still need a teacher.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upsetting news :o:(:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Sad. I love the character of Edna.:(
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    If you read the article, Al Jean said they are going to retire the character.

Yeah, just seen that - the only thing they can do really :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, is Phil Hartman the only other regular to have died?

RIP Edna Krandle.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Edna isn't the one who dies, according to Al Jean. Also, we will find out who dies as that episodes airs in two weeks.

The episode with the character death was postponed from Season 25, and is now believed to be the opening episode of Season 26. An even likelier event now that Edna will have to be written out - they can't avoid Flanders for too long, after all.

Such a shame though... a true acting and voice-acting talent. And one of my favourite characters in the show. Rest in peace. :(
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear, i'll miss the character Edna. At least she had her fair share of men;)
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Edna, a great character and a sad loss for the show
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear this. The one time The Simpsons managed to get poignancy absolutely perfectly, was the episode where Bart pretended to set Edna up with a man who didn't actually exist. It was all in Marcia's superb performance.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is very sad to hear/read, my condolences go out to her friends and family. :(:(

I always liked Edna's feuds with Bart, and the on-off storylines with Principal Skinner! :D
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/marcia-wallace-star-of-the-bob-newhart-show-and-voice-of-mrs-krabappel-dies-at-71-1200764197/

That can't be the same episode - it's meant to be season 26's opener, thus not even made yet.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such sad news! RIP Marcia. :( I'll miss seeing the love/hate relationship between Edna and Bart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always felt Edna was one of the few supporting characters who was never underused and was always continually written so well. If you look over the 25 years of the show, she was never without focus and never suffered poor character development.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    When was the last time the simpsons got a permenantly new character?

It's nice that they are retiring her but Bart's class will still need a teacher.

That would probably be Lindsey Naegle. She first appeared in like 1998/1999 and has appeared regularly ever since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    That can't be the same episode - it's meant to be season 26's opener, thus not even made yet.

Oh right. It's just in the description of episode airing in two weeks it says
    At the funeral of a beloved Springfielder, four residents remember events in their lives they would like to do over.

Homer regrets selling a tech stock in order to buy a bowling ball.
    Marge blames herself for Bart's rebelliousness.
    Mr. Burns remembers his relationship with a Parisienne.
    Kent Brockman regrets not leaving the local station to join cable news.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Oh right. It's just in the description of episode airing in two weeks it says
    At the funeral of a beloved Springfielder, four residents remember events in their lives they would like to do over.

Homer regrets selling a tech stock in order to buy a bowling ball.
    Marge blames herself for Bart's rebelliousness.
    Mr. Burns remembers his relationship with a Parisienne.
    Kent Brockman regrets not leaving the local station to join cable news.
    Hmm... I find Kent Brockman an odd choice. No kids remembering, this death might actually surprise.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rip :(