Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleased for Richard, not much doubt about tomorrows result but you never know
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    another three humour free offerings........
  • guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luke didn't look best pleased.... sure his ambition will mean his time wil come again. Wouldn't be surprised to see hom turn up on Masterchef - The Professionals.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    oh the irony of the chefling saying it doesn't meet the humour brief.....

I can almost forgive him for being too young to have heard of the classic comedy "Some Like It Hot", but on the basis there wasn't the tiniest shred of humour in his dish, he wasn't exactly in a position to criticise anyone else!

Oh, I'd love to know how many things Chefling took out of his dish! :eek:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This may sound harsh as I know we've all seen a top chef throw a strop (looks like there is another one from Richard tomorrow) but I can'[t see how Mary could cope with a service in a professional kitchen.

She must really rely on her right hand man. I may be wrong but I suspect that that she is the 'executive chef' and cooks quietly (ok not quietly) in the background knocking up all the slow cooking braised dishes etc. leaving the service to the 'head chef'.

It looked like she was having a break down for cooking 4x4 courses of food.
    Forum Member
    I can almost forgive him for being too young to have heard of the classic comedy "Some Like It Hot", but on the basis there wasn't the tiniest shred of humour in his dish, he wasn't exactly in a position to criticise anyone else!

Oh, I'd love to know how many things Chefling took out of his dish! :eek:

he gave us tart, doughnut, fruit, ice cream, jelly, he removed the deconstructed banoffee pie, the retro freeze dried black forest gateau, pureed tarte tartin, spherified tirimisu, cubes of sticky toffee pudding, and his centre piece multi chocolate ganache swan.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    This may sound harsh as I know we've all seen a top chef throw a strop (looks like there is another one from Richard tomorrow) but I can'[t see how Mary could cope with a service in a professional kitchen.

She must really rely on her right hand man. I may be wrong but I suspect that that she is the 'executive chef' and cooks quietly (ok not quietly) in the background knocking up all the slow cooking braised dishes etc. leaving the service to the 'head chef'.

It looked like she was having a break down for cooking 4x4 courses of food.

I think the vast majority of the chefs will feel more comfortable, and be more in control, in the familiar environment of their own kitchen, and Mary-Ann strikes me as just being one of those people who constantly seem flustered! She's been flapping around all week, but probably made less mistakes than the others. Well, certainly less than Chefling!
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    he gave us tart, doughnut, fruit, ice cream, jelly, he removed the deconstructed banoffee pie, the retro freeze dried black forest gateau, pureed tarte tartin, spherified tirimisu, cubes of sticky toffee pudding, and his centre piece multi chocolate ganache swan.

:D:D:D

... and the tin cans? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

... and the tin cans? :rolleyes:

all served floating on a sea of ambrosia custard ;)
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought the comedy plates were quite funny :o
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Watching on catch up but accidentally have seen the result. I'm a bit sorry, I liked YGL and disliked Mary Anne's glee when others' things went wrong. Yes, I know it could be the editing.

I look forward to seeing YGL in something else soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I cant believe some of the comments here. What would you rather see in front of the judges, a cottage pie which looks like school dinner or something which at least tries to be gastronomic.

This jibbing that luke got about the amount of ingredients, Richard used just as many if not more and was about creative as boiled potato with as much charisma as a hollowed out egg.
    Forum Member
    And pardon me but red noses arent bloody funny!

I could cry.
    Forum Member
    Whodini wrote: »

I could cry.
    I posted this the otherday but will post again. At the moment the only dish i've seen that fully represents Comic Relief and charity fundraising in general is the baked beans in the bath.
    Surely everyone would have got that connection.
    Forum Member
    I cant believe some of the comments here. What would you rather see in front of the judges, a cottage pie which looks like school dinner or something which at least tries to be gastronomic. .
    My honest answer would be neither! However, I'd rather have something simple and tasty than something which tried to be "gastronomic" and (according to the judge's comments), clearly failed.
    This jibbing that luke got about the amount of ingredients, Richard used just as many if not more and was about creative as boiled potato with as much charisma as a hollowed out egg.

It wasn't just the number of the ingredients, but the balance of flavours. Based on the judge's comments, Richard's flavours (in the main) complimented each other and still came through. It sounded as though Chefling's didn't exactly clash, but it all ended up as a bit of a hotch-potch.

As for Richard's lack of charisma, I didn't see a great deal from any of them, but I don't think the chefs are marked on charisma! ;)
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe some of the comments here. What would you rather see in front of the judges, a cottage pie which looks like school dinner or something which at least tries to be gastronomic.

But his seemed to work together.

I don't really like any of the chefs this week.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong thread!
    Forum Member
    Similar comments to what I posted earlier. Richard did use some fancy techniques but his dishes seemed to stroke the right balance
    degsyhufc wrote: »

What I missed off about Luke was that he's trying to be a top chef but he's only young and is still learning.
    Richard used six cooking techniques for just one element of his main and he got it all out on time, looking great and tasting great.
    That's the quality and more importantly the experience of being a top chef for many years.
    Forum Member
    My honest answer would be neither! However, I'd rather have something simple and tasty than something which tried to be "gastronomic" and (according to the judge's comments), clearly failed.

It wasn't just the number of the ingredients, but the balance of flavours. Based on the judge's comments, Richard's flavours (in the main) complimented each other and still came through. It sounded as though Chefling's didn't exactly clash, but it all ended up as a bit of a hotch-potch.

As for Richard's lack of charisma, I didn't see a great deal from any of them, but I don't think the chefs are marked on charisma! ;)

Well we got cat lady from Mary-Ann and constantly disappointed Luke. Richard was like a SatNav with a welsh accent.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could cry.

I almost did after tonight's offerings.

I thought that this red nose thing was over (last week?).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Wow, quite the ageism going on on this board, so much so that I'd believe Maryanne Gilchrist (whose patronising attitude, glee at others' misfortune and constant jibes at Luke's age got more than a little tiresome this week) has adopted many guises here (I particularly suspect anyone that also says they'd love to try her dated foul-looking food).

Anyone thought that maybe the reason why Luke has had the placements he's had is due to getting his name out there in the competitions he's won? Or that maybe his references are pretty spot on in order to go from top restaurant to top restaurant? Or the fact that he's worked at multiple restaurants owned by the same people, so maybe they trust his abilities? Or, as proposed by some people on this board, are top chefs willing to risk their Michelin stars because they are friends of, or have received bungs from, his parents?

As it is, I'm glad he's out as the only laughs I'm going to get out of the show this week is watching the judges squirm and attempt to say something nice about Gilchrist's food (I can imagine it now: "Maryanne, I've got to tell you how much we loved your monolith of vomit-green pea mousse with bits of torn ham, obviously the humour comes from reminding us of that scene in The Exorcist. Well done, but commiserations as we're suckers for the comedy plate gag."). It bodes well that this is the first time I've known that there have been no judges' comments used in the teaser leading into the Friday show.

One change to the rules I'd like to see for future seasons is if you attempt to bring a dish to the banquet that's already on your menu, you immediately get a big fat lonely zero for it. Banquets should be unique and special and the lack of effort (and I don't mean just running around, flapping, and wheezing) of some of these chefs is depressing. The amateurs on Masterchef show more imagination than the majority of these "professional" contestants, and they don't get months to come up with something.

Also, if someone is going to dish up on a "hilarious" plate with a photo of "hilarious" Lenny Henry, shouldn't they accompany it with a condensed milk sandwich? Or am I giving away my age?
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D - another trick missed there!

I think little Cheflette Luke has fallen into the trap that a lots of the first time contenders to GBM have, of trying to showcase absolutely everything they can do at once.

He's obviously got the cheffy nous but possibly just an inexperience in competition cooking and not getting GBM first time out. Which doesn't make him on his own.

Now he has a bit more of an understanding, I'd like to see him come back and give it another go.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    :D - another trick missed there!

I think little Cheflette Luke has fallen into the trap that a lots of the first time contenders to GBM have, of trying to showcase absolutely everything they can do at once.

He's obviously got the cheffy nous but possibly just an inexperience in competition cooking and not getting GBM first time out. Which doesn't make him on his own.

Now he has a bit more of an understanding, I'd like to see him come back and give it another go.

I'd really like to see him come back, I think he will have picked up on where he was going wrong and learnt his lesson, and I'm sure he's a tremendous chef in training and would probably do really well in another year.

I'm sooooo looking forward to Oliver's face when presented with the shepherds pie :o And quite frankly, if Mary Ann throws a fit over presenting two dishes, how on earth is she meant to cater for 80 :eek:
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he will be appeased by the witty horns :D
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if they think the Titanic is witty who knows.................:D