unable to record from TV

I changed my Sony Bravia TV over to Panasonic TX-L42ET50B in May of this year and I am now unable to record any programmes from the TV (or the Sky HD box which I also had upgraded at the same time).

Whilst I can see the DVD recorder's menu on screen (connecting via 21 pin SCART out of AV1 port to TV and AV2 to Sky box)and I can play existing recorded programmes on the DVD rec/player, I cannot get a signal feed into the Pioneer DVD?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky box connection to DVD recorder hasn't altered - scart out from Sky to scart in on DVDR. Your television set does not affect this at all - you would be able to record from Sky to DVD without a TV being there (though of course you wouldn't be able to monitor what you were recording).

In terms of recording from the TV - why would you record "from" a TV? Your DVD recorder would normally be used to record from its scart input (Sky box) or from your TV aerial. Unless your DVD recorder is analogue only (no Freeview) and you were recording Freeview channels from your TV's output, then you wouldn't ever record from your TV.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Pioneer have a Freeview tuner? If it does then that is the best way to record Freeview programmes.

If it doesn't have Freeview then recording from the TV is really second best as it means you can't record one channel while watching another. It also means the TV has to have a SCART wired for Output as well as Input. It is possible that if the TV has more than one SCART that you've plugged the DVD into the wrong one.

Look for a symbol next to the socket on the TV that is a square with one or more arrows across one edge. If there is an arrow pointing OUT of the square then that socket is wired for output so connect the DVD to that one. If all the SCARTs on the TV only have arrows pointing INTO the square then they are input only so no use in this instance. If there are no symbols then look in the manual to see if that indicates which (if any) SCART is wired for output.
  • newto thisnewto this Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Does the Pioneer have a Freeview tuner? If it does then that is the best way to record Freeview programmes.

If it doesn't have Freeview then recording from the TV is really second best as it means you can't record one channel while watching another. It also means the TV has to have a SCART wired for Output as well as Input. It is possible that if the TV has more than one SCART that you've plugged the DVD into the wrong one.

Look for a symbol next to the socket on the TV that is a square with one or more arrows across one edge. If there is an arrow pointing OUT of the square then that socket is wired for output so connect the DVD to that one. If all the SCARTs on the TV only have arrows pointing INTO the square then they are input only so no use in this instance. If there are no symbols then look in the manual to see if that indicates which (if any) SCART is wired for output.

Thanks, when i get home I'll take a look.
  • newto thisnewto this Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Thanks for taking a look at my quandary. The connection hook ups I have carried out are as follows:

• Panasonic has a single SCART port (AV1) – it is actually a SCART adaptor plug (21 pin plug on the open end to which I have connected a traditional SCART lead) where the plug in to the TV port is a small oblong one similar to HDMI. The label on the TV for this connection shows RGB as input only and Audio/Video as input and output (arrow heads go both ways into and out of the circle symbol).

• I have connected the other end of the SCART lead to the AV1 port of the Pioneer DVD recorder – video output for this port is described in the manual as ‘AV1, Output’. The diagram on the back connection plate for this port shows an outward facing arrow leaving the TV symbol.

• I have connected a 21 pin SCART from the Sky HD box (only 1 SCART connection point) to the AV2 port of the Pioneer DVD recorder – back plate describes this as ‘AV2 Auto Start Rec (Input1/Decoder)’ and the TV symbols shows the arrow heads pointing both ways.

• Aerial connections go from external terrestrial aerial into the Sky HD box, out of Sky into Pioneer DVD, out of Pioneer DVD into Panasonic TV.

• Finally could the settings in the DVD recorder need altering and does it make any difference to the DVD recording capability if I am using a Sony AV receiver to play other equipment through including 5.1 speakers?

• I think this is an analogue machine as there is nothing in the specification/manual describing digital reception/signals ect – it was purchased about 6 years ago – it has no HDMI connections. It does not have a Freeview tuner.

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. So AV1 on the Pioneer is output only. So even though it looks like the TV can output a signal (most likely just the Freeview tuner) there is no way to get that into the Pioneer via AV1.

You should be able to record Sky via AV2 however. If you wanted to record from the TV you would need to plug the TV into AV2 on the DVD.

And you won't have been able to record from your old telly if that too was connected to AV1 as that is a function of the recorder not the TV.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCART sockets and cables are no longer as standard as they used to be. Many manufacturers only implement a subset of functions on the sockets and (cheap) cables often connect only some pins.

It looks like the TV only outputs CVBS on the SCART. First check that the DVD accepts CVBS input on the socket you are using. If it does make sure the cable is connecting the correct PINS.

Also Panasonic have complicated menu settings. Make sure you have selected the correct combination to do what you want!
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    It looks like the TV only outputs CVBS on the SCART.

That's all it can do as the RGB on the TV is an input. But AV1 on the DVDR will also only have RGB outputs (CVBS both ways) with the RGB inputs on AV2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    SCART sockets and cables are no longer as standard as they used to be. Many manufacturers only implement a subset of functions on the sockets and (cheap) cables often connect only some pins.

It looks like the TV only outputs CVBS on the SCART. First check that the DVD accepts CVBS input on the socket you are using. If it does make sure the cable is connecting the correct PINS.

Also Panasonic have complicated menu settings. Make sure you have selected the correct combination to do what you want!
    bobcar wrote: »
    That's all it can do as the RGB on the TV is an input. But AV1 on the DVDR will also only have RGB outputs (CVBS both ways) with the RGB inputs on AV2.
    If you read post 5 it looks like AV1 on the DVD is OUTPUT only from the description given of what the manual says and the symbol alongside the socket.

So it doesn't matter what the TV outputs. It won't be going anywhere when it hits the DVD socket anyway.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If you read post 5 it looks like AV1 on the DVD is OUTPUT only from the description given of what the manual says and the symbol alongside the socket.

So it doesn't matter what the TV outputs. It won't be going anywhere when it hits the DVD socket anyway.

That's not really relevant to my post which was specifically about RGB but I would be surprised if composite in was not available on AV1 as well as composite out and RGB out. I've never owned a Pioneer DVDR but all the DVDRs I have owned have had this feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    That's not really relevant to my post which was specifically about RGB but I would be surprised if composite in was not available on AV1 as well as composite out and RGB out. I've never owned a Pioneer DVDR but all the DVDRs I have owned have had this feature.
    If the second and third bullet points in post 5 are accurate then it would seem the Pioneer is the exception to this rule.