Which sat nav should i use? my iphone or my outdated tomtom satnav?

Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As title could do with a satnav at the weekend, ive got a choice of either using my dedicated tomtom satnav which has maps that are probably 4-5 years old(i dont want to pay to update the maps) or i could use my iphone on Apple maps or Google maps(if so, which is best out of Apple/google?

Which one guys? ideally id use the proper tomtom satnav as it sticks to the windscreen, and i havent got to buy an in car adaptor to power it, downside to it is that the maps are outdated, would things have changed THAT much in 4-5 years?

Hmmm what to do

Comments

• gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your 4-5 year old tomtom will more then likely be fine. I prefer using my phone and google maps. If you do use your phone then it's worth investing in a windscreen holder and charger.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah thats what i thought, should be ok.

And yeah i know the holders and chargers are pretty inexpensive now.

Cheers
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    yeah thats what i thought, should be ok.

And yeah i know the holders and chargers are pretty inexpensive now.

Cheers

Why not have the best of both worlds and stick the TomTom app on your phone.. I have a TomTom 940 Which a couple of years ago was the bees knees. completely stopped using it now in favour of my iPhone. The phone is I finitely faster, it's clearer, and map updates happen automatically.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Why not have the best of both worlds and stick the TomTom app on your phone.. I have a TomTom 940 Which a couple of years ago was the bees knees. completely stopped using it now in favour of my iPhone. The phone is I finitely faster, it's clearer, and map updates happen automatically.

Isnt the app something like £50? i wouldnt want to spend anything if ive already got a Tomtom satnav and theres free alternatives on the iphone (apple maps and google maps and a host of other free good ones).

Thanks for the suggestion though, i might have done just that had i not spent £100+ on the satnav a few years back
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Search nav free on play or iTunes. Little world icon. Love this sat nav. Doesnt need data. Just download the actual initial maps on wifi on install as 500mb.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sell your old TomTom satnav & buy the iPhone app. The UK & Ireland version was only £26.99 when I bought it for my daughter a couple of months ago. The Traffic HD subscription for about £25/year is really worthwhile for avoiding speed cameras & traffic jams.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Isnt the app something like £50? i wouldnt want to spend anything if ive already got a Tomtom satnav and theres free alternatives on the iphone (apple maps and google maps and a host of other free good ones).

Thanks for the suggestion though, i might have done just that had i not spent £100+ on the satnav a few years back

It's £39.99. You'd spend that updating the map for a dedicated device. Also, don't forget that with the likes of Apple and Google maps you need an online connection to use them. TomTom stores its maps on the phone (hence its large size).
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please excuse my ignorance, I have always been afraid to use my phone as a sat nav because I do not have a huge data allowance. Doesn't it use up all your data?
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please excuse my ignorance, I have always been afraid to use my phone as a sat nav because I do not have a huge data allowance. Doesn't it use up all your data?
    TomTom doesn't use your data allowance at all & this can be confirmed by switching the iPhone to Airplane mode as the app still works. Apple & Google maps do require a data connection.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't know about apple version of google maps but on android you can pre-load the maps while at home on wifi. Then the only data used is for live traffic which is pretty small.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or use the free sat nav I mentioned which also doesn't use data and is pretty good.
  • KatduGersKatduGers Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Or use the free sat nav I mentioned which also doesn't use data and is pretty good.

I also use the Nav Free app and I love it. I do have a dedicated sat nav as well which I'm actually going to see as I never use it. Nav Free is excellent.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google maps sat nav. Best routing every time. Nav free will send you round the houses literally.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    I recently bought the tomtom start 6" model - I came with lifetime maps which I think are worth £80 - free

Bought from amazon uk - I made a unboxing video for it - http://youtu.be/l5aftYHlpYc

I left a review in the video description - pretty decent bar you really do need the exact street name as the search is a bit crap - though may be a trick I'm missing here.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a recent TomTom XL traditional unit, and on there you can specify the location by touching a location on the map screen.

Its not a bad product, but not perfect. My view of it is,
    Small screens wont be big enough to be easily seen while your driving. TomTom XL is just about right for me. My HTC smart phone has a small screen, i couldn't live with that as a SatNav on screen size alone.
    Sat Nav machine or Sat Nav on a phone - you need a car charger. The proper Sat Nav may last a bit longer on built in battery but i wouldn't recommend taking the risk.
    Despite having menu settings for Shortest and Fastest route options, it always tells me to go into town and round the houses rather than use the bypass, strange!
    One glitch appears to be around the sound output. As soon as I switch it on or modify a setting it reverts back to silent mode, and have to manually "un-mute" it in the settings screen. It really should have a simple volume wheel on the side of the unit, it would be a lot more easy.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    It's £39.99. You'd spend that updating the map for a dedicated device. Also, don't forget that with the likes of Apple and Google maps you need an online connection to use them. TomTom stores its maps on the phone (hence its large size).

I never updated my TomTom. £39.99 seems a right waste. I just use GoogleNav now though. It already knows where i'm going, so i just bring up google now and hit navigate! No entering postcodes of choosing from recent locations.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My phone either stays zipped up in my jacket pocket or travels in the glove box when i'm driving. Far too much paranoia regarding driving and mobile phones these days to even risk having the phone in view / reach, regardless of whether its in a cradle.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Don't know about apple version of google maps but on android you can pre-load the maps while at home on wifi. Then the only data used is for live traffic which is pretty small.

Yep Google maps will nav without a signal. Has the most up to date maps too...
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As title could do with a satnav at the weekend, ive got a choice of either using my dedicated tomtom satnav which has maps that are probably 4-5 years old(i dont want to pay to update the maps) or i could use my iphone on Apple maps or Google maps(if so, which is best out of Apple/google?

Which one guys? ideally id use the proper tomtom satnav as it sticks to the windscreen, and i havent got to buy an in car adaptor to power it, downside to it is that the maps are outdated, would things have changed THAT much in 4-5 years?

Hmmm what to do

Your tomtom will be fine for a long while yet. The main thing that gets out of date is the points of interest. As long as you can find out postcodes using your phone and google, you will always be able to enter the postcodes into your Tomtom.

Apple maps is nice looking but the mapping and POI data is the best on Google - it beats others like Here maps too.
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would also suggest checking out Waze - this is a new idea based on anonymous collection of travel data in real time.

Waze is free, but requires a data connection whilst driving. Runs on Apple and Android phones and tablets.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Your tomtom will be fine for a long while yet. The main thing that gets out of date is the points of interest. As long as you can find out postcodes using your phone and google, you will always be able to enter the postcodes into your Tomtom.

Apple maps is nice looking but the mapping and POI data is the best on Google - it beats others like Here maps too.

I disagree, although for an occasional user then yes a 4 to 5 year old Tomtom is adequate.

The newer units with hd traffic are worth their weight in gold for high miles drivers.

I left south London last week with my mate behind me. At a particular junction his older tomtom took him left towards the m25 (that was also sign posted left). Mine took me through central London (outside congestion zone) yet I arrived onto the m40 about an hour before he did as he got stuck in traffic on the m25. The HD traffic on my unit steered me away from that.

Also, roads change....especially town centres. Streets become one way and even closed to cars. Not sure how google nav reacts to that nor navfree but its one thing to consider.

I've used navfree before when we went to the states and for what it is,it was ok.nwouldnt want to use it as my main navigation programme though.
  • Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Nokia Maps was, and still is the best mobile sat nav app around, no data allowance required at all, and best of all it's completely free! (As long as you have a compatible phone:rolleyes:)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, roads change....especially town centres. Streets become one way and even closed to cars. Not sure how google nav reacts to that nor navfree but its one thing to consider.

google's road data can easily be amended, and then changes are instantly available everytime you or anyone else plans a new route. Roads can be marked as temporarily closed, one way, etc, and likewise junctions can be edited to show turnings not allowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zwoKR63aluU
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Tom Tom with up to date maps and there is still stuff they haven't updated for years. They only seem to update major roads. Even in town the updates are poor.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tadpole wrote: »
    Would also suggest checking out Waze - this is a new idea based on anonymous collection of travel data in real time.

Waze is free, but requires a data connection whilst driving. Runs on Apple and Android phones and tablets.

It's just been bought by Google too I believe.