Shall I get an I-pad?

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wondering whether to get one.

I am not very techie so what are the main advantages and do you love yours?

Or is there something new on the horizon that I should wait for instead?

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tablets are good. They pretty much do everything your computer would. For most folk it could replace their computer unless they're a hard core gamer.

To waiting....There is always something around the corner with this kind of tech. If you wait then basically you'll always be waiting.

There are alternatives to apple's ipad. Android tablets are generally cheaper though some really cheap ones can be poor.

EVen my phone has replaced my computer.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my iPad, more than I thought I would. Incredibly easy to use.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    You can wait forever for the next big thing to come along, or you can buy current tech and enjoy it.

iPads are great. I hardly use the PC since I got one. There'll be a lot of people along soon to tell you that they're nothing but over-priced locked down tat, and someone will probably use the word 'sheeple', desperately imagining that it's in any way witty, original or valid.

If you've £400 burning a hole in your pocket, buy one and enjoy it.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »

There are alternatives to apple's ipad. Android tablets are generally cheaper though some really cheap ones can be poor.

Agreed, plenty to choose from but IMO if you want an Android tablet get a well known brand, many of the unbranded and real cheap tablets are not wonderful especially if you are not much of a techy person.

Samsung are very popular when it comes to tablets, have a look at their range and what they can do, then look at the other known brands for prices. One thing, you must think of what you intend to use the tablet for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are so glad we got a nexus 7. Im not sure if the n10 is equally as good
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an ipad mini and samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. Both are good devices and I would recommend either one.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much. Some really helpful stuff to ponder over.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite a decision to make, take time, if you have a question, come back and ask...
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Imo nexus 7 is much better value for a great device although its small
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why bother? Get a decent PC and a phone. Tablets were a flash in the pan and rather pointless.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I have an iPad and whilst is amazingly useful for me it doesn't quite replace the desktop experience for me. I tend to use it for lounging when am in front of the TV and I want second screen information on F1 or Football. Great for convenient browsing of the net. Apps are useful but honestly internet is my killer app along with news reader. I consume alot of information via various news apps. The main difference between an iPad and an Android device is the price, beyond that you can get the same mainstream apps for each device and they work just as well. Cost is the main factor everything else is subjective.
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Why bother? Get a decent PC and a phone. Tablets were a flash in the pan and rather pointless.

Are you for real!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssr wrote: »
    Are you for real!!

I Thought same as you. Id think opposite these days. Who buys a pc these days other than gamers, business
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    FWIW, I have tower style PCs, an Android tablet and most recently an iPad 4.

The tower PC's I use mostly for work, intensive graphic work and messing around with large sound files. The combination of versatility with keyboard and mouse, large screen size, acres of storage and raw power means that is is very unlikely a tablet could replace these functions, ever. Who the heck would want a 24" tablet, for example. :rolleyes:

The Android tablet, is much more open and free than the Apple alternative, easier to customise and generally works well. Google Play, the Android store, also has a huge number of apps, many free, and some of high quality. The Android tablet, a Sony, is also very light, despite being 9.7 inches.

The iPad, is elegance personified. It looks beautiful, with the Retina screen making a real difference, especially with reading e-books. Flawless in operation, and backed up with some seriously good apps. But, it is the Apple way or no way. Unless you want to jailbreak the tablet, which carries the risk of it not working any more. It's also expensive, and quite heavy by comparison to the same sized Android tablet, and not as easy to hold upright. Such as when reading in bed.

So, at the moment, it's the iPad that I tend to use for most recreational computing, and the tower PC for most work related stuff. But, the big deal for me, is that I detest Windows 8 so much - and have been very impressed with Apple - that my next PC (ifI can scrape together the money) is likely to be an iMac.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi hate the look of win 8 too, though I presume you can turn off that display and put it back to a more traditional look
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Thought same as you. Id think opposite these days. Who buys a pc these days other than gamers, business

People who may want a larger screen, a keyboard, who don't like touchscreens and may want something that is not so limited.

As for the OP's question of where they should get one or not, that depends on what they want it for.

If they just want to browse the net, look at videos, maybe listen to some music and show some pictures, then a tablet may be ok for that, but some websites will not work with a tablet.

If they want to do more, like do their accounts, use a spreadsheet, edit video or pictures, then a touch pad may not be for them.
    Try using a touch screen on a small device with spreadsheets, a pain in the neck, i tried it a few weeks back, even with a stylus, it is still a pain.

You just got to weigh up the pros and the cons and also if it is worth the money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For you maybe but I find them rather handy, if I want to check something on the internet just power up the tablet instead of booting up the PC, saves electricity for a start.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi hate the look of win 8 too, though I presume you can turn off that display and put it back to a more traditional look

Nope. but you can get third party software to skip past it and give you a start menu, plenty of discussions about that on these forums. :)

I started to type apps, instead of software. i am doomed.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member

Not without third party software. Easy enough to get, I suppose, but I just don't like the way Microsoft has decided for all its customers that this will be THE WAY, and the way isn't actually any good. :(
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Were a flash in the pan?? :confused:What are all those shiny new tablets still doing in the shops then and on Amazon etc. etc. Have I fallen asleep and missed something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were a flash in the pan?? :confused:What are all those shiny new tablets still doing in the shops then and on Amazon etc. etc. Have I fallen asleep and missed something?

Not to mention the fact that pc sales are in decline whilst mobile devices including tablets are on the rise.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For you maybe but I find them rather handy, if I want to check something on the internet just power up the tablet instead of booting up the PC, saves electricity for a start.

To me, that's one of the main advantages. I've shut down the laptop, then realise I need to check email, the weather or the time of the next bus. Just open up the iPad, select the app, and I'm there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    To me, that's one of the main advantages. I've shut down the laptop, then realise I need to check email, the weather or the time of the next bus. Just open up the iPad, select the app, and I'm there.

Chromebooks are great for this. Mine boots up in 3 seconds.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I don't really see the point of tablets myself, they would be better with a more powerful CPU, more storage space, a full OS and a keyboard. They also cost more than a laptop with a higher spec.

I would get a smaller laptop rather than a tablet, but its good to have the choice.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of tablets myself, they would be better with a more powerful CPU, more storage space, a full OS and a keyboard. They also cost more than a laptop with a higher spec.

I would get a smaller laptop rather than a tablet, but its good to have the choice.

Yes but it's hard to play Hill Climb Racing on a laptop when you're sitting on the toilet.:D