Bring back Brookside!!!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
Forum Member
I was looking on Youtube earlier at Brookside, saw the ending of the last ever Brookie! (Again!):cry:
does anyone else out there wish they would bring back Brookie.:confused:
There was also a video of what it looks like now, (well on 9th June 07):eek:
All the house's are still there, so there is no reason not to bring it back.
I am off now to watch The Lost Weekend, it's got me in the mood for a Brookie fix!!!:) :p:)

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fraggle33 wrote: »
    All the house's are still there, so there is no reason not to bring it back.

Well, there is, because they're being done up and sold off. The show was god awful from around 2000 onwards anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Well, there is, because they're being done up and sold off. The show was god awful from around 2000 onwards anyway.

I watched every single Brookie, I have to admit when they started messing around with the times to did go a bit silly, but it was class!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just imagine if they showed Brookside and Hollyoaks from the beginning on E4.

Get rid of Friends I say.

Brookside at 8pm Hollyoaks 8:30pm Five days a week and the Omnibus at the weekends. Saturday and Sunday

Only In my dreams.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Please not more soaps:eek:

You must get about 15 hours of soaps every week nowadays.
    Plus a dozen or so reality shows each week.
    What I'd prefer is some well filmed,well acted,quality looking,unpredictable,orginal drama at primetime hours for once.Or maybe even some sitcoms produced that are funny!
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    There have been rumours recently that Virgin 1 will show it when it launches in the Autumn.

I'm not sure whether there is any truth in that though, we'll have to wait and see I think.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a big Brookie Fan in it's heyday, but sadly some of the best characters are no longer with us, like Julia Brogan [the actress who played her passed away. RIP] :(

"I'm nearly finished Mrs Farn-ham". :D
  • ShelleyBiggsShelleyBiggs Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    I was a big Brookie Fan in it's heyday, but sadly some of the best characters are no longer with us, like Julia Brogan [the actress who played her passed away. RIP] :(

"I'm nearly finished Mrs Farn-ham". :D
    Julia was classic. :D

I loved Brookie in its heyday but it really went downhill. :( And C4 just stopped caring about it. :mad:

All it needed was some strong new characters, some new writers and a new producer (Redmond ran out of ideas, he gave the go ahead on more and more ludicrous storylines, his ideas were tired and exhausted) and it would still be with us today. It was popular enough for a time and had a loyal following, it had brand loyalty a bit like Corrie and EE but maybe not as much as them and if it had improved then I'm sure the ratings would have gone up a bit. :) But, in the end, C4 just didn't want it.

A great series though and I'd love to see some classic episodes from the 80s and 90s released on DVD. :) The only problem is I'm not sure if they'd be a market for them as the last DVD they did didn't sell very well and its been off air for so long now. Having said that the Crossroads DVDs do okay and there's a difference between the last DVD they did (the one about Tinhead and Steve) and a DVD of classic episodes from the good old days. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    anyone know what happened to any of the characters ?
  • ShelleyBiggsShelleyBiggs Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oscar12 wrote: »
    anyone know what happened to any of the characters ?
    You can see Sinbad hamming it up in Corrie. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All it needed was some strong new characters, some new writers and a new producer (Redmond ran out of ideas, he gave the go ahead on more and more ludicrous storylines, his ideas were tired and exhausted)

Redmond WAS the new producer! He took over from Phil Marquess in 2002, clearly believing as the creator he could save the show. Instead he made it worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I agree it had it's time. It really was classic stuff in the 80's and early 90's - easily the best soap made.

I stopped watching it probably about 2000 or so. It shouldn't be revived. It was nice to see some of the cast in Mobile recently on ITV, there were a lot of good actors in Brookie that just do theatre and stuff now (Eithne Browne is quite often on the Radio in Liverpool etc) so was Simon O Brien until he f***'ed it up ! :D:D - (links : http://digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=603319 and http://www.how-do.co.uk/files/simon-obrien.mp3 )
  • Tipsy_OtterTipsy_Otter Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Oh No Thanks ...lol
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside was OK in its heyday through the 80s to the mid 90s, but it did go downhill quite badly. I don't really think they could go back on it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! I loved Brookie - used to watch it all week and on Saturday's too :o :eek: :D
  • WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    It went to the dogs after the Lindsay Corkhill/gun/gangsters thing and never really picked up from there.

No, don't bring it back. I'd far rather remember the great days of Bobby, Sheila and Damon, rather than see it come back as a pale shadow of what it was.

RIP Brookie. Let's let it rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Yes! I loved Brookie - used to watch it all week and on Saturday's too :o :eek: :D

Me too, take a look at it now on Youtube. All the houses are still there so they could bring it back if they wanted to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fraggle33 wrote: »
    Me too, take a look at it now on Youtube. All the houses are still there so they could bring it back if they wanted to.

I've already said that they can't- they've been sold off.
    Forum Member
    ^ I'm sure they could make the owners an offer they couldn't refuse. Or just build a copy somewhere else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though why should they bring back a dead show? They'd be better off coming up with a new, fresh idea.
    Forum Member
    There doesn't seem to be any fresh ideas left. Jim'll fix it brought back, Bullseye brought back, Beadles About to be brought back ...

But apparently when Neighbours leaves the BBC there is a whisper that a new Scouse drama/soap may fill the gap. I've heard on the radio (and I think DS had a headline too) that producers who were with Mersey TV are involved. Would be a good idea. I agree that there are just too many soaps - but that slot on BBC1 is made for a daily drama.
  • Lemon LymanLemon Lyman Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Redmond WAS the new producer! He took over from Phil Marquess in 2002, clearly believing as the creator he could save the show. Instead he made it worse.

Phil Redmond was the creator of brookside (along with Grange Hil and Hollyoaks) - he was around a lot longer that Phil Marquess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    ^ I'm sure they could make the owners an offer they couldn't refuse. Or just build a copy somewhere else.

The houses are all empty. I don't live too far and ended up there about a month ago on a bike ride with my son. Was able to ride round the close - all gardens overgrown and looking very run down.
  • WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    There doesn't seem to be any fresh ideas left. Jim'll fix it brought back, Bullseye brought back, Beadles About to be brought back ...

Jim'll Fix It was on a channel which is hardly in the mainstream, Bullseye ditto. If Harry Hill's about to bring Beadle's About back, god help the poor sod. :eek:

Rehashes of past hits never come to any good IMO.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah Brookside - Lisa Faulkner, Jennifer Ellison, Claire Sweeney, Anna Friel, Justine Kerrigan, Gillian Kearney - the only reasons for watching Brooky - especially Lisa Faulkner!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Brookside returns, I want Crossroads back on ITV!
    Crossroads was better than any other Soap!