Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mbruce01 wrote: »
    Friend of mine worked with her doing panto. She's a nightmare!

what was she playing, the wicked queen? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I met Ewan McGregor and he was an ares
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Showing my age here but in the 80's Spandau Ballet lived in Dublin for a while ( tax doge ) and they were all lovely and had lots of time for fans.
    Depeche Mode again in the 80's lovely blokes couldnt have been nicer.
    Billy Connolly again in the 80's polite friendly.
    My sister met Oz Clarke once and said he was the rudest man she had ever met, he shouted at her that she wasnt really as Irish as him :eek: .
    She met Marian Keyes at a book signing in Leeds and she was so sweet and had lots of time for everyone.
    I once wrote a letter to Fiona Walker ( author ) and received a handwritten letter back I was chuffed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Eamonn Holmes??
    Emlyn Hughes??

Or some weird hybrid of the two?:D

I meant Emlyn :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank Carson. My friend's young daughter walked up to him and asked for his autograph once and he refused. Real fun guy.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if someone refuses an autograph it could have just been the wrong time or the wrong day. Everyone has off days!:rolleyes:

If you know a celeb in more detail, like being related to them, live near them or worked with them I think its easier for you to judge..
  • rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jequila wrote: »
    Frank Carson. My friend's young daughter walked up to him and asked for his autograph once and he refused. Real fun guy.

I saw him in Bangor train station many years ago, and he was happy to sign an autograph. He even said his 'Frank Carson News at 10' catchphrase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    During the Edinburgh Fringe I saw loads of famous people in the street but didn't hassle them.

I saw Richard Whiteley in in the street in Edinburgh - he had a very nasty look on his face, not all smiles like he had on Countdown. I did not feel like talking to him.

John Cleese was the same when I saw him in a health club.

Russell Brand looks shy and very camp in real life.

Jenny Eclair is quite shy.

Margi Clark is really nice.

I think they adopt a 'leave me alone' face when 'off duty' which is understandable, but it still puts me off them.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roy Walker quiz show host/comedian.

My mum knew him from his days in Working Clubs in Belfast.
    Anytime he was in Belfast he was more than happy to stop and chat.

I mentioned Cilla to a someone I know yesterday. Her friend was on Blind Date towards the end of the show. She said friend dished the dirt. Cilla as has been said total BITCH! Do not talk to me. Do not smile at me! Do not touch me! Infact do not look at me unless being filmed!
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granted it was many years ago, but John Cleese stayed in a local hotel while filming, and the staff were on tenterhooks in case he pulled a Basil Fawlty act, but in fact they all said he was a perfect guest. I think they were a bit disappointed, actually. ;)

One way and another, I've met some sizeable names in the music field in both a social and a 'work' (=interview/promo) setting, and by and large they're nice folk (McCartney excepted, completely up himself and this was before Mills). This name will probably mean nothing to anyone here, unless you're about my age, but Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys is one of the nicest I've met: if he's 'working', he's working and makes it clear, but more than once I've seen him walk into a pub unannounced before a show in the UK and spend a long time with the fans, promise passes (and deliver !) and generally be a good egg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Does ANYONE have a good story about Cilla Black? :eek:

I got an autograph off Neil Hannon for my brother, he did, then rudely said 'Wow!' in a rather sarcastic way.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seronie7 wrote: »
    Does ANYONE have a good story about Cilla Black? :eek:

Not much of a story but I was working at Earl's Court at the Boat Show and used the staff lift and before it set off Cilla and some other person got in. She looked at me as though I had crawled out of the cheese! No Liverpool accent though!:eek:

I just ignored her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William Roache (Ken Barlow) - His mother was in hospital where my mum works and he just wallced in with his large possy, blanked anyone who asked for his autograph or even talked to him, gave his mother a kiss on the cheek and some flowers and then went. Speading about 10 seconds with his mum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Surely anyone could be excused for not wanting to give autographs when visiting their mother in hospital??

I wouldnt even consider asking someone under those circumstances....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian May - A real gent

Richard Branson - pleasant, polite and slightly camp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone
    I have lurked long enough so I thought I would pop in and finally post something:

Ronnie Corbett - my partner was in a Mayfair butcher a couple of Christmases ago and he got the last piece of beef fillet - we were making Beef Wellington - and he heard this voice, "you can't have that" My partner who in, his spare time, is a rugby prop turned round, looked down and it was Ronnie C who said that he wanted it - my partner said "sorry I was here first." RC in classic celebutard style uttered the immortal "don't you know who I am?" My partner " I really don't care who you are" and laughed.

Another one that has stuck in my mind for all these years was Annie Lennox - my father was overseeing the backstage area at the Loch Lomond Rock festival 1980/1 and the Tourists were playing. I asked to meet them as I was a big fan and looked up to her as a lead singer who was a girl and was taken into their caravan for an autograph. The whole band was there, I had just started school, everyone was nice and signed my little book except for Ms Lennox who waived me away in a dismissive fashion - that has stuck with all these years. I still think it was a horrible thing to do to a small child. I do remember Dave Stewart being really sweet. Another one I met that weekend was buster blood vessel - we gave him a lift back to Glasgow, my brother and I sat in the back with him - not a lot of room, but a lovely bloke!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxiscot wrote: »
    Hello everyone
    I have lurked long enough so I thought I would pop in and finally post something:

Ronnie Corbett - my partner was in a Mayfair butcher a couple of Christmases ago and he got the last piece of beef fillet - we were making Beef Wellington - and he heard this voice, "you can't have that" My partner who in, his spare time, is a rugby prop turned round, looked down and it was Ronnie C who said that he wanted it - my partner said "sorry I was here first." RC in classic celebutard style uttered the immortal "don't you know who I am?" My partner " I really don't care who you are" and laughed.

Another one that has stuck in my mind for all these years was Annie Lennox - my father was overseeing the backstage area at the Loch Lomond Rock festival 1980/1 and the Tourists were playing. I asked to meet them as I was a big fan and looked up to her as a lead singer who was a girl and was taken into their caravan for an autograph. The whole band was there, I had just started school, everyone was nice and signed my little book except for Ms Lennox who waived me away in a dismissive fashion - that has stuck with all these years. I still think it was a horrible thing to do to a small child. I do remember Dave Stewart being really sweet. Another one I met that weekend was buster blood vessel - we gave him a lift back to Glasgow, my brother and I sat in the back with him - not a lot of room, but a lovely bloke!

Buster Bloodvessel is without doubt a total top bloke. :D I met him when stationed in Germany he did a concert for us in our NAAFI club & I was amazed that someone so big could be so fit go for so long performing.

Needless to say he sweated buckets asa result took a lot of friendly abuse from us including... 'You fat ba-stard!'

Really nice bloke & was happy to chat with me for sometime.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Billy Bragg many years ago. He was an absolute gent, so friendly and amiable.

I used to know Suzi Perry quite well, before she was well known. She was pretty much as she is on tv nowadays.

A friend of mine wrote a letter to Tony Hawks, to say how much she enjoyed reading Round Ireland With a Fridge. He actually telephoned her to say thank you for the letter and had a long chat with her. She said he was a top bloke.

Same friend used to work in the music business and met Jon Bon Jovi, who she said is NOT a nice man at all. She also met Dave Lee Roth, who is apparently a nice guy, but can't sit still. Also, showing my age now, she met James Taylor, who she said was a very lovely man indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronnie Corbet - all-round a----ole

Gary Gliiter (when famous) - got excited when an autograph was being signed for somebodys daughter, but would not sign them otherwise foranyone else

Michael Winner - a gent (seriously !), don't be fooled by his persona.

David Frost - pleasant, but seems to have that appearance of early dementia and a habit of perspiring profusely.

Anne Widdecombe - very strange, if you are a male, she does not look at you straight in the eyes.

Phil Collins - T---er.

Vic Reeves - as above.

Maureen Lipman - short and an absoloute sweetie, as well as being very funny.

Esther Rantzen - Vile.

Bob Geldof - rude, scruffy, and yes, does lack in the personal hygiene department when it comes to using Right Guard.

Lonnie Donnegan - no longer with us, venemous even with his own family.

Adam Faith - fraud.

Eric Clapton - distant - very deep.
  • BellaFigaBellaFiga Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once saw Bob Geldof sitting on an armchair, bafflingly, in the middle of the (pedestrian) road at Camden Market

Oddly enough I have also seen BG sitting in an armchair at Camden, but not in the road. It must have been a phase he was going through
  • the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've come across a few celebs in my time but the only one I can say came across as being arrogant was Ricky Martin.

He refused to talk to anyone or make eye contact. He had terrible skin too. This was circa 2002.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    I see Nigel Havers is proving the DS comments to be utterly correct!
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met dozens of celebs, from going to various theatre events/parties and some film parties and stuff, over the years, and to be honest the majority of them have been very nice/pleasant/friendly. The only one I can say I wasn't impressed with was Jude Law. I met him twice (in 2001 & 2002) and both times he was very snooty, aloof and off hand. Had that air of "I'm better than you" superiority about him. Not impressed, lol.
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Nigel Havers is proving the DS comments to be utterly correct!

As soon as he started to mouth off to Lemsip I remembered the comments on DS :D
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 6,885
    Forum Member
    havent met any rude celebs but i've gotten to know baz warne from the stranglers a bit from going to a lot of his solo gigs and he's brilliant with the fans. hangs around the bar after and chats away with anybody. last time i seen him i got him to record an insult for a friend of mine with on my camera. hilairious.

I got to know Baz very well when he was about 18 - many years before The Stranglers and just before he was with The Toy Dolls. He was a great lad - full of fun, and the most handsome young man I have ever seen. I'm glad to here he hasn't changed.