World War Z

1234568»

Comments

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's definitely shown Brad in a different light as an actor, well to me anyway :)
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed it. Bradds best film in my opinion since snatch
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just come back from watching this film. I loved it. Full of suspense, action and genuinely scary throughout.
    Highly recommended.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention some rather daft plot holes:
    The plane that was going to land in Israel still had enough fuel to fly to Wales?

The zombie jumping out on the plane was so annoying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Id love to go and see it but only cause its set in my hood.... but I hate zombie films
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Israel scenes and the plane scenes were my favourite bits :)
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen it and I'm really curious about what the original vision was. I can't believe that Brad's agent told him that it would consist of a travelogue where he flies from place to place, escaping from zombies in a series of increasingly improbable ways, pausing only to attempt to phone his wife.

There were quite a few unintentionally comic moments, amongst them:
    Brad's missus trying to phone him and summoning the undead horde with the ringtone

Brad chopping the Israeli soldier's hand off to prevent the venom spreading

In the research lab towards the end, when they turn on the CCTV and mention what happened in B wing, did anyone else think the next line should have been 'Or, as we now call it, zom-B wing'?:D

Not to mention some rather daft plot holes:
    How did the Latino kid escape from the flat? He's clearly still in there when the zombies break in but not only evades them but somehow climbs over the huge cupboard that Brad has thrown down the staircase.

Why does the zombie, who has somehow stowed away in a cupboard on the jetliner, wait until the air hostess opens the door before making his presence known?
    I never felt any real sense of tension or impending danger; you always know Brad's going to make it. The intrinsic problem with any zombie flick is that zombies aren't very scary. From that Michael Jackson music video to Romero's films to video games, they've always been inherently rather comical and the stories about them tongue-in-cheek.

I think that the film failed by not showing enough of the human tragedy which would be behind such an apocalyptic scenario. One tracking shot in Terminator, showing humans reduced to living in rags in hovels, huddled around a fire in an empty TV set told us more about how far humanity had fallen than anything in World War Z. I suspect that, in many ways, the filmmakers were hamstrung by chasing a 15 rating.

It has piqued my interest in reading the novel but as a film it was very poor. This is a shame as Brad Pitt has delivered some of his best work in the past few years and is at the top of his game.

Slow moving & shuffling zombies are not scary & are quite laughable, but the fast movers from films like Dawn Of The Dead (2004) & World War Z do add another dimension to the zombie legend & make them seem more threatening.
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow moving & shuffling zombies are not scary & are quite laughable, but the fast movers from films like Dawn Of The Dead (2004) & World War Z do add another dimension to the zombie legend & make them seem more threatening.

Nah classic slow zombies are the best, when the zombie apocalypse arrives I'm afraid you're going to end up eaten....the slow movers are always underestimated in movies and end up getting you in numbers.

Nothing wrong with the 28 day later/DOTD remake type things but there not really zombies to me, old school shufflers for me! :D:D
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I think it's definitely shown Brad in a different light as an actor, well to me anyway :)

He played the same shambling, scruffy mumbler he's played in everything else he's ever been in.:yawn:
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I think that the film failed by not showing enough of the human tragedy which would be behind such an apocalyptic scenario. One tracking shot in Terminator, showing humans reduced to living in rags in hovels, huddled around a fire in an empty TV set told us more about how far humanity had fallen than anything in World War Z.
    Would the timescale of the film allow that though? WWZ was very much a quick 'as it happens' affair - the action takes place over two or three days at most IIRC.

I enjoyed it more than I thought, although it did come across as 'Jack Bauer vs the Zombies' at times. Dash to A, dash to B, biff-bang etc. But perhaps the most visually arresting film of the summer. One overhead shot of a deserted Cardiff suburb stuck in the mind more than any collapsing city.
    Nah classic slow zombies are the best, when the zombie apocalypse arrives I'm afraid you're going to end up eaten....the slow movers are always underestimated in movies and end up getting you in numbers.

Nothing wrong with the 28 day later/DOTD remake type things but there not really zombies to me, old school shufflers for me! :D:D
    I broadly agree - but it irks me that we never much see the classic zombie move of them slowly rising from the ground or grave. Always adds an extra and much-needed frisson to their undeadness - something both Hammer and Fulci copped on to. I suppose runner zombies would then have to break out into a trot, which would look silly.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    He played the same shambling, scruffy mumbler he's played in everything else he's ever been in.:yawn:

You obviously haven't seen 'everything' he's been in.:rolleyes: I suggest you see Fight Club or Killing Them Softly.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a friend who was an extra on that film, man with a grey beard at the start of the carrier scene holding a piece of paper.
    He's on screen alone for 3 seconds..he loved it and always talks about it:D
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was average but worth seeing once. I found Brad's greasy hair distracting and hoped he'd pop in a chemist in one of the cities he visited and picked up some Head & Shoulders.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously haven't seen 'everything' he's been in.:rolleyes: I suggest you see Fight Club or Killing Them Softly.
    Don't watch killing the, softly it will put you in a coma . But fight club is great though.